It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MASSIVE new sunspot rotating into view! (Number 1654?)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is Jupiter.

www.solarmap.gov/trackingvector363

Btw this is Phage from my other account.
edit on 8-1-2013 by Samuelis because: (no reason given)

Phage wouldn't be sorry to burst anyone's bubble

Seriously though, I don't know much about the sun so I won't throw out any ideas. From what I have seen before, I would say it is a sunspot and it does seem larger than most I have seen.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Spaceweather isn't commenting on it yet so I'll wait a day or two before I decide...lol. The only thing spaceweather is talking about is the "peppered" surface of the sun with approx 14 active sunspots. Looks pretty interesting...

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

yeah -- I looked on spaceweather.com, too, and didn't yet see this referenced.

However, the other smaller sunspots in the OP's picture look to be the same ones as on spaceweather's latest image (from Jan 8), but the OP's image looks to be rotated a little more towards us, which could mean that it is newer image than the one on spaceweather.com.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

No, telling you. It's been on here before. But it's not the gas bubble guy.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

No, telling you. It's been on here before. But it's not the gas bubble guy.

Was it a coronal hole -- which is very different than a sunspot, and cannot be seen in visible light?

There was that Coronal hole that was large and sort of triangular in shape that was a popular topic on ATS for a while.

Coronal holes:
phys.org...
www.nasa.gov...

edit on 1/8/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
You people probably shouldn't assume just because someone says "I"m Phage this is my other account", that it's actually him.

Good post OP ... thanks for the info.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is Jupiter.

www.solarmap.gov/trackingvector363

Btw this is Phage from my other account.
edit on 8-1-2013 by Samuelis because: (no reason given)

Your not Phage,

How can Jupiter cast a shadow on the sun? the only way possible is if its in-between the camera and the sun, at that angle it cant.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas
reply to post by Nyteskye

What if that big bastard blasts us to death when it turns around to us?

We'll be dead.

second

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It is region 1654 and it has produced a C flare or two since it showed up. At this point it seems to have a pretty simple magnetic configuration but it's hard to be sure until it comes a bit more into view.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You're not Phage!!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Ugh it has been to cloudy to take an photos! This is a very nice spot! Funny I stop looking at the sun being we have had few clear days and after I heard this cycle would not be as active.

Well if I get a clear sky I will get my scope out and photo this one

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
That sunspot suprised me.This morning on the 3 min news 01-08-13 actualy (4 min news today).Especially when you could see it in the sunspot view and it was not mentioned.Personally I will not panic unless Phage says to.So until then as they say in The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Universe.

"DON'T PANIC"

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Zooming on 1654 in this image it looks like it does have magnetic complexity and its' large size and location right near the equator may be interesting. What I would like to see is the thing at least not decay, watch what most of these flares have done over the last month or so. They come all angry across the limb and then decay on the earth facing side. I don't want to see a killshot, but our atmosphere could use some flaring this way.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

That is Jupiter, Phage?? Seriously? I admit I am rather uneducated about these things. Is the way it looks flattened out an optical illusion ?

Do you really think that post was from Phage?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
When you zoom in on the image in the OP, it appears that there is another one on the "horizon" immediately to the left of the one originally brought up in this post, and it is just as big as the first one.

I am no Sun expert, so is that just a trick of the eye, or could there really be 2 massive spots right next to each other?

edit on 8-1-2013 by csuldm because: Added arrows to image showing the 2 spots I am talking about.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Spaceweather is now reporting on it
"Of greater interest, perhaps, is the large sunspot emerging just south of AR1652. Denoted by an arrow, the unnumbered region is crackling with C-class solar flares and, based on its size, could be capable of even stronger eruptions. We will know more in the days ahead as the sunspot turns toward Earth; a more direct view will reveal what kind of magnetic field the sunspot posseses."

SOURCE
edit on 8-1-2013 by kako187 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2013 by kako187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
That sunspot had two huge poles in that latest image from NASA.

I cropped the photo and uploaded to ATS:

I hope this doesn't blow-up towards Earth.

It's impressive...

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by trekwebmaster

Yes, I also uploaded that very same image 2 posts ago!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Although a large sunspot we have had quite a few in just the recent past that were so large we could see them as the sun went down. This one is large but those ones if I recall were larger the look with the HMI shot from the SDO does show both polaritys but the way they are conjoined lends me to believe that they will be minor unless we start to see it progressivly getting more magnetically unstable they should just be dark passing spots. We should still be keeping our eyes on the 1652 grouping as they still have that labelled possible for M-class flares while earth directed.

So although large with out progression into an active region it may just be another dud like so many have been lately, been weird seeing the only things on the enril spiral lately being filament eruptions as opposed to CME's or Flares of any sort.

SaneThinking

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyteskye

Here is a video showing 1654 in more detail, sorry I tried to embed but it did not work?
1654 video
edit on 1/8/13 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join