It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How very Disappointing

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I took care of it and added a custom rule to my adblock plugin...

I got fed up with massive spam on me television in the 90's and cut cable and went with XBMC connected to my television so I never see spam ads again.

I put my phone on the do not call list to block spammers

we have intense spam filters on our email servers to block spammers

so ats has not got the spam filter added to it, I can't take all the popups, if you accidentally click outside a post on a black page you get a tldr popup. To fix that right click outside the border you will see a menu at bottom Adblock plus: Block Element

then you'll never have to worry about accidental misclicks again. This spam ad is setup to get all the "misclicks" it can get, which is very underhanded. a normal ad is one thing but using obfuscation and misclicks to serve popups is pretty vile and sad.

luckily I pay for my internet, I use it how I want and welcome to Greasemonkey script CSS redirects, Hosts file blocklists, and adblock.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I don't like the implication some have made that members who complained about the color are ungrateful or shouldn't voice concerns because they don't pay for membership. The site makes money from ad revenue, and from the members without us having to pay. It's a symbiotic relationship and to pretend that the site owners/investors are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts is ridiculous.

The color scheme didn't bother me at all personally, but if it was displeasing to others I see no reason why bringing it up respectfully should be looked down on.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I don't like you not liking the implication. Because, at the end of the day, we are all just a bunch of (mostly) anonymous buttholes sitting in the peanut gallery exercising our penchant for running off at the mouth.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

If I ever form my own rock group, I'm going to name it the "mostly anonymous buttholes."

By the way, S.O. must have listened to all the whining because we now have TLDR Blue. I'm glad no one takes exception to sloths.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Domo1

I don't like you not liking the implication. Because, at the end of the day, we are all just a bunch of (mostly) anonymous buttholes sitting in the peanut gallery exercising our penchant for running off at the mouth.

This is the most accurate description of ATS/the internet in general I have ever read.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop

If I ever form my own rock group, I'm going to name it the "mostly anonymous buttholes."

By the way, S.O. must have listened to all the whining because we now have TLDR Blue. I'm glad no one takes exception to sloths.

Or monkeys....

...when we bought Rock Band, our band name (my two boys and myself, and sometimes the wife) was "Pink Cheese Green Goes".

But on a more serious note, i really do prefer the blue shade being used over the prior orange But the orange wasn't horrible, to me.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

But on a more serious note, i really do prefer the blue shade being used over the prior orange But the orange wasn't horrible, to me.

Yes, I agree. The blue is more soothing. But without colors like orange, you would never know that blue is more soothing

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Liking the new blue ad though, feels more like normal ATS.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cito
To fix that right click outside the border you will see a menu at bottom Adblock plus: Block Element

then you'll never have to worry about accidental misclicks again.

I've done that, but for some reason it only made the image disappear, the zone that now appears empty is actually still an active hotlink which still redirects me.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Liking the new blue ad though, feels more like normal ATS.

I actually like the orange better. I guess I never really have my browsers open all the way (I'm usually watching something and reading two pages at once because what's an attention span?).

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonl1983

make sure to block the entire element.

if you use Greasemonkey plugin you can install this script

userscripts.org...

it removes ALL tricks that ats does when they try and detect adblockers

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Cito

I installed Greasemonkey and the element you recommended, as well as NoScript. The dead zone on the left and right is still a hotlink with an invisible image, it just seems immune to anything I am doing. Thanks for the tips, though!

Update- None of your tips worked but I got an extension called BlockSite plus and it worked like a charm!
edit on 14-1-2013 by jasonl1983 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonl1983
reply to post by Cito

I installed Greasemonkey and the element you recommended, as well as NoScript. The dead zone on the left and right is still a hotlink with an invisible image, it just seems immune to anything I am doing. Thanks for the tips, though!

Update- None of your tips worked but I got an extension called BlockSite plus and it worked like a charm!
edit on 14-1-2013 by jasonl1983 because: (no reason given)

ah ok glad that way worked for you, it seemed to work for me, the block element I added after right clicking and "inspect element" then manually adding their code into the blocklist worked for me.

it's stupid, silly and for ad sites like google adsense it's against the rules.

I have a single text ad on my website, and google adsense rules state that I can't ask for clicks, I can't trick people into clicking the ad, I can't make the entire background of my site a clickable for the ad or use any tricks to get clicks I can't directly link to my adsense ad or Google has the right to refuse payment and/or delete my adsense account.

I've got paid 3 times they send a check or direct deposit once you hit a minimum revenue of $100.

So that's the rules at least for Google Adsense.

the crap they pull on ATS with tricking links, obfuscating backgrounds to trick people into clicking ads, and ad begging and threatening users who use adblock software should be illegal, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is indeed against the EULA of the ad service sites.

I know adsense, amazon and doubleclick services are very strict on their rules and they do have sections for reporting abuse.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Setting up for ShowStoppers CES

It was a really crazy night -- so crazy our photographer was busy helping us and couldn't take more photos. Among the overwhelmingly positive comments from 1,300+ international journalists was gushing remarks about our color scheme and overall identity design.

Orange works.

CNET CES Coverage: TLDR is for when you don't have time to read the whole article

edit on 15-1-2013 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Pink works better.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Among the overwhelmingly positive comments from 1,300+ international journalists was gushing remarks about our color scheme and overall identity design.

Compared to the carpeting on the ballroom floor, almost any color scheme would look great

Congrats on the positive feedback

In my initial look at the plug-in, TLDR performed extremely well, but it wasn't perfect. Sometimes I would get some key points of an article, but not the full story. But with most of the stories I tested it on, the summaries were pretty much spot on.

(Who is that with @StremorJoe?)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join