It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA – Twenty-Second amendment to be scrapped?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by oasisjack
Greetings my fellow Scotts man. In American politics there are no coinceadents only power grabs. Maybe I'm wrong about the reason for gun control and it may be a smoke screen for something like this to pass. Unfortunately many of my country's citizens are under the impression that our two party system stands in defiance of one another. In reality they work togethere behind closed doors to usurp the power from the people.

This was my understanding from the outside looking in
Thanks
Shaun

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

Sorry Mam

Shaun xx

I took on board what you and everyone else said, thank you..

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I realize many of the stories on ATS come from a variety of sources of different types...

And yes, the proposed legislation does in fact exist, but I could not gloss over the following excerpt from the source linked in the OP:

A representative called Hose Se Serrano

Seriously?

Hose Se Serrano?

Maybe they were using some really horrid dictation software?

FTR, the Congressman's name is Jose Serrano

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a democracy shouldn't have term limits.

if a president is doing a good job and has the support of the people he will be motivated to continue doing a good job so he can get re-elected.

if not the challenger will be right there to take his place.

arguably the most powerful a president can be is the second term as he is not held accountable by anybody.

in essence he becomes a 4 year dictator if he chooses, doing whatever he pleases, since he basically has reached the summit and is not worried about pleasing anybody to get re-elected again.

the first term he is held in check, the second term he is not under the control of the people anymore.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
a democracy shouldn't have term limits.

if a president is doing a good job and has the support of the people he will be motivated to continue doing a good job so he can get re-elected.

if not the challenger will be right there to take his place.

arguably the most powerful a president can be is the second term as he is not held accountable by anybody.

in essence he becomes a 4 year dictator if he chooses, doing whatever he pleases, since he basically has reached the summit and is not worried about pleasing anybody to get re-elected again.

the first term he is held in check, the second term he is not under the control of the people anymore.

First of all, the definition of "Democracy" is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

Next, THAT... and your reasoning are why we are a Republic WITH term limits. The President is accountable to his party, his party is accountable to his supporters and checks and balances prevail. Unlimited terms develop even worse crony-capitalism and corruption - as we see in the Congress every single day.

Nope, presidential term-limit stays. The new topic for debate SHOULD be the implementation of term limits for EVRY other politician!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

With this and all the gun laws perhaps about to change, this is a worry for the people of the USA or should be. With the possibility of no guns and a president who can’t be removed, we need to really ask, what is the agenda of the USA

If they change the rules in such a way that a president can serve without term limits, then they should also be able to put in a safeguard, that he can be removed if he isn't doing his job properly.

Canada has no term limits, but if Harper abuses his power, the opposition party can call an election immediately, and the public can vote him out.

There's no reason the US should be stuck with a particular president forever, if they're smart about how they word any changes.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join