It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abandoned Wooden Miracles

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mangust69

Another wooden masterpiece. Thanks for posting

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Of course they would restore it, it's built property. It wasn't "their" idea. Therefor it isn't "original" any more. Even if they do like it. It is "tarnished."

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by meetmeatthebridge
reply to post by jasonl1983

Why do you find it morbid?

Thousands of images of a man with nails through his wrists and ankles and you have to ask why I find it morbid? Not to mention the fanatic devotion to myth it requires to even want to participate in building a shrine like that.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing! It's gorgeous! Not to mention so mysterious and romantic!

We're looking for a new home right now, and I'm trying to talk my husband into buying a 1940s farm house. I can't stand cookie cutter houses. I need something with character.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AussieAmandaC

About a million Victorian mansions say otherwise.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
OMG shut up and take my money! I want that house!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Sure it's a beautiful piece of art. No doubt at all, but it is hardly embarrassing. WE don't build houses like that because ot would cost millions of dollars per house. Either the owner had access to slave labor or he had gobs of cash to spend on artisan workmen. Either way, it's ostentatious, particuilarly considering what his neighbors' standard of living was like.

You go through a typical English manor house like Blenheim and it has similarly ornate workmanship, especially inside. And there all you here is about how the English upper class ripped off the rest of the world to keep this stuff for themselves. So we need to tax the bloody rich out of their houses.

This house was built by someone in the 1%, those people you love to hate. Admire it, for sure, but have some perspective on what you are looking at here.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC
How beautiful!

A house so beautiful should not be empty at all, glad to hear they're restoring it and some others.
I can tell you by looking at those photos though, it will only be cosmetic.
Lucky buggers

You'd be going real hard to try and find a Westerner who could build a house like that at all.

Not really - could and would are the differentiators. I know some amazing craftsmen who have done some amazing things with their own homes, but its extremely expensive to do so, because nobody is willing to pay the value of the time put into it.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

You are correct in that assumption, as far as the builders being wealthy.
-As OkieDokie pointed out earlier:

They were built by two friends, local peasants who left their villages for St petersburg, rose from construction workers to proprietors of large construction businesses (in fact one of them had worked as contractor during renovation of Winter Palace in St Pete in 1890s). Both of these peasants quit St Pete to retire in their home villages and built these estates there. Both houses were built without an architect, by these peasants themselves, but one used plans and drawings of fashionable Russian architect who was one of the creators of this”gingerbread” Russian art-noveau style of the 1870s-80s-90s. The houses stand 18km apart from each other in now abandoned villages.

And also one would need a tremendous amount of free time... I'm sure that there are gems in the West, and after re-reading my post it seems as though I may be disrespecting our Western masters. I'm not, I'm just a little blown away.
Given time, money, and ambition I'm sure everyone interested in this type of thing could create something amazing.

ps thanks everyone for the flags and input. I honestly wasn't expecting so many of you to be as fascinated in this little wooden box as I was
cheers

-And post more wooden miracles if you find them!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
russian terem www.google.com... one man work home www.eblog.ru...

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555
It would take me more than a year just to make one window frame. Unreal!!

Maybe it did take a year. A life time.

I see true love. Love for wood, love for the craft and most of all, love for the lady he built it for.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Wow...this is really weird as this house and it's placement...

A similar one has appeared in a recurring dream I've had, except I was being chased by wolves and there was a room full of flowers and in that room also was the dead body of my beloved...

Scary.

But really cool architecture none the less.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It can't be Russian. Wake Up!
Have you lost your mind? Russia a.k.a Soviet a.k.a Communists are full of bullshhh propaganda.
There is no way such god less creatures in Uni Soviet could ever build such a building unless they were inspired by Satan.
Don't you remember what you are told? Communism is axis of evil?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
carved architraves www.youtube.com... wooden lace of Russia

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join