It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Floating to a Healthier Mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Many of you may be familiar with sensory deprivation, otherwise known as Floatation-REST or Isolation. Vicky Campion is a Master's student in Christchurch, New Zealand who, as part of her Master's Thesis, is hoping to investigate the benefits of Sensory Deprivation on members of her community suffering from anxiety resulting from the recent earthquake that the Christchurch community recently went through.

I see sensory deprivation as having amazing potential to provide an alternative to the current conventional psychopharmaceutical trends within the psychology and psychiatric community that are harsh on both mind and body and as more accesible than other forms of relaxation like yoga and meditation.

Unfortunately Vicky's University cannot provide all of the funds she requires to purchase a tank.

It would be great to see research initiatives like this get off the ground and pave the way for further inquiry into how this technology can benefit all of us. Vicky has set up a fundraising platform here if anyone is passionate about the cause and interested in contributing or further spreading the word to friends and family.

And the link again www.indiegogo.com...
edit on 7-1-2013 by leprapom because: more info

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure fundraising is against the T&C but a discussion of flotation / sensory deprivation itself would be fascinating. You should make a thread about it after this one gets closed...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

Ah true, will be unfortunate if it is taken down as I see this an area that communities like ATS should be getting behind. But yeah, maybe I will, and I'll appeal to Vicky to post her findings on here once she gets the tank and carries out her research!

new topics

join