Hunt for Spitfires buried in Burma

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
A team of experts has flown to Burma for the final stage of a 17-year search to locate a hoard of Spitfire planes.

The group of 21 hope to unearth dozens of missing British Spitfires believed to have been buried in the Burmese jungle at the end of World War II.

They are expected to to begin digging at Yangon International Airport.

There could be up to 36 buried planes at the end of the airport's runway in Mingaladon and up to 124 aircraft in total, it is thought.

Video on link!
www.bbc.co.uk...

Wahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
again, can't hold it in WAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
This was all brought about through non-governmental means. A farmer heard about them second hand, from a reunion in the US, where someone said "The strangest thing we ever did was bury brand new Spitfires at the end of the runway." That led to him spending thousands, and years getting the trust of the military junta there, and finally being allowed to search for them. Then the British gov't went in and signed an agreement to be able to get them.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
why couldn't they have been 51-d mustangs? Life ain't fair.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Was a report in a British Paper the other day stating that there may be more than 100 of these spread around various old airfields in the region? a separate story a few weeks earlier stated that there may be some buried in a similar manner in the UK?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Having been a Aircraft nerd for too long now, I too have heard this story (in various forms) for years now. However, it was meant to be a load of rubbish, but with all the evidence and various pictures of deep trenches being dug I have seen, I have always believed this..........Yay! The time is coming.......I wonder what they will find!!??

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
One crate has been reputedly found and opened, but unfortunately is full of muddy water which will have to be pumped out before they can asses what state the contents are in.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
wow, one merlin engine could make six of these...thekneeslider.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

Think i read about that years ago, iirc he used to use car gearboxes on it? and had to replace them every five minutes due to the gears constantly being stripped due to the torque?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
bbc latest article, as mentioned above they have located a crate and lowered a camera down but hit murky water, so will need to pump it out. Still very exciting though, i would love to be part of the dig. It's happening right now so hopefully the thread will get a bit more attention

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Cool. Now maybe they can search for all the Corsairs and Bearcats that the US Navy pushed overboard in the seas around the Pacific, at the end of the war.
There has been many rumours of the US Army dumping brand new crates of WLA War Harleys, still covered in grease, down mine shafts and other holes around old army bases in Queensland Australia, not to mention all the Pacific islands where they just left stuff.

Where there's Spitfires, there might be Hurricanes and Kittyhawks....
, Both were used by the Aust Air Force.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
A really good Italian friend of mine whose family was in Italy during WWII buried 3 truck fulls of rifles, machine guns, and ammo + other infantry gear. They buried it all in a hillside by dynamiting the hill above the trucks after the war.....His grandfather, grand uncle, and some other family members did it themselves, so no room for gossip. They are probably rusted to hell, like these planes if they are there and even recoverable.

Why did people bury everything at the end of the war? Seems like such a waste...
edit on 9-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

The thing with these planes though is they were never uncrated. They're still in the original wax paper, and other shipping protections they used. So there's a chance at least some of them can be made flyable.

They buried them because they didn't want to ship them back and destroy them. They figured burying them would destroy them.
edit on 1/9/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Yeah, 3 spd Holden gearboxes I think.
The maddest bit for me was, despite having 5 litres of engine, he felt the need to add nitrous

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

At least one report has stated that not only did these crates have their original packaging, but were also reputedly wrapped in tarps then coated with bitumen. They were also reputedly buried as the British government at the time did not want them falling into the hands of the Burmese rebels.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Of the original 36 (I think it was) they had found, they were hoping to restore 10 to flying condition using parts from all of them. Hopefully they can get at least 20-30 flying again out of all of them. That would be great to see.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Wahey! They have found "a crate" !!!

www.bbc.co.uk...

Link has new video

top topics

join