It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

teacher invents new lock for classroom doors.. allready in 2 districts

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Removed my off-topic post myself as well.

edit on 6-1-2013 by Krakatoa because: Removed my off-topic post.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Thread Topic:

teacher invents new lock for classroom doors.. allready in 2 districts,

Please focus ALL further replies on the Actual topic of discussion.

Thank You

... and, now, back to ...

teacher invents new lock for classroom doors.. allready in 2 districts,

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
So, I wonder if this device could be easily side-mounted to the base of the wall, and triggered via a wireless signal, as part of the standard lock-down procedure at the school?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

What about fire?
I.e being locked in?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

ty. really dont know why it went right to gun control lol..

i thought it was interesting for a teacher to think outside the box.. Even if it might not make students that much safer at least it might make them (and their parents) feel safer..

so kudos for him

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The one for the single door looks like a good idea, but the using it on the double door could lock people in. In the end it is up to the fire marshal. "Egress doors shall be readily openable from the egress side without the use of a key or special knowledge or effort". There are classroom function locks that are always open from the inside but require a key on the outside to lock or unlock. There is also a security classroom function in which a key can be used on either side but the inside is always unlocked. That way the teacher wouldn't have to go outside to lock it.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
reply to post by Krakatoa

What about fire?
I.e being locked in?

The purpose of a lock-down is to keep the doors closed to protect folks inside from an external threat. In the event of a fire emergency, then it would not be locked down I imagine. And even if it was accidentally, being externally mounted (inside the building) means from the inside you could simply move it manually out of the way of the door (i.e. It's not embedded in the door or wall. It is still external, only triggered automatically). Placed correctly, it would not be accessible from the outside either. It would behave and function as the original device from the OP, but instead of manually placed (which takes time and risks someone being near the door), they could all be triggered at once.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by 00001

Im assuming the fire marshal is on board seeing how its allready in 2 districts

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

reply to post by goou111

PITTSBURGH —The elementary school shooting in Newtown, Conn., has created a heightened awareness for students and teachers across the country as they prepare to return to the classroom after the holidays, but a Westmoreland County man’s invention could help keep them safer

That's why.

When was the last time you saw muliple murders from someone entering the school for a fist fight?
edit on 6-1-2013 by CaptainBeno because: mmm?

what? of course you are not gonna see ..... oh nevermind what a dumb question

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

The inspectors at thebuildingcodeforum would not approve the jamblock. Why use the jamblock when locks are available that meet the fire codes and could be locked faster?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Why not send all the children to prison, that's what the schools are beginning to look like.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Shooter paranoia + Concerned Parents + Schools who care about image + Free media advertising

=

Some serious bank for this guy

Wish I had thought of it.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
"The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your door, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one."

--Bill Hicks

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Ofcourse, just banning guns wouldn't be an option...................just in case China invades?

Lets just invent other things and forget about the elephant in the room hey?

What about a door with lasers, or Teachers with lasers on their heads?

Paranoia.
edit on 6-1-2013 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

Teachers with fricken lasers attached to their fricken heads,

sound like a plot by DR Evil

Positive it might look in light of what has happened but its really just sweeping more dirt under the rug, so much has been swept under there that the rug cant cover the dirt anymore.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Interesting device! Simple and easy way to secure doors that typically swing out. Those doors are tough to kick in based on their construction and steel door jambs. This device could certainly buy time.

Several years ago a similar purposed device called a Hydralock showed up as a way to secure doors that have hydraulic automatic door closers installed. Pretty cool! Equip the schools with both devices...

Hydralock

edit on 7-1-2013 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Not trying to belittle the guy's invention, but there are already things on the open market that will keep that door from being pushed in.

Link to image.

It is a rubber doorstop... $2.29 at Home Depot.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join