It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Catastrophic conditions': bushfire danger as mercury to hit 45 degrees

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This is Summer in Australia...and all the Southern Hemisphere.

Every year people say the same thing.....Its so hot....etc etc.

Every year there are bushfires in all states.....it happens, it will continue to happen until the sky falls down.

When winter comes people will still complain......OOooo its so cold, I hate the cold........

Luckily we dont have winters like Europe, Russia, Canada etc.

Luckily we dont have summers like Arabia and the Arab gulf (gets to 50C).

Will people ever stop complaining??.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
you know u can make icecream in the Sahara right>>? there are many natural ways to make cold air.....
2nd

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by steve95988
you know u can make icecream in the Sahara right>>? there are many natural ways to make cold air.....
2nd

How? Please elaborate. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised
Yes, I too, am one without an Air Conditioner.
I don't even have a fan.

Same here.
Melbourne doesnt get all that many hot days every year.

The worst bushfire conditions in many years will hit NSW on Tuesday as temperatures across the state soar to near-record levels.

But back to the thread topic... I recall a few years back we had warnings in Victoria about the upcoming "worst ever" bushfire day for fires. That day turned out to be black saturday.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
This is Summer in Australia...and all the Southern Hemisphere.

Every year people say the same thing.....Its so hot....etc etc.

Every year there are bushfires in all states.....it happens, it will continue to happen until the sky falls down.

When winter comes people will still complain......OOooo its so cold, I hate the cold........

Luckily we dont have winters like Europe, Russia, Canada etc.

Luckily we dont have summers like Arabia and the Arab gulf (gets to 50C).

Will people ever stop complaining??.

you may need to go back and re-read this thread.

you will see that no where does it mention that its "not normal"...."climate change"..."end of the world" etc.

it was simply a thread to get the warning out that the conditions of today are dangerous.

this thread was started before the saturation media coverage of the last 12 hours. it was more a "heads up" of what was coming our way and to give people time to get ready for the heat and prepare if you are in a bushfire area...of which i am.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by gort51

just one last thing.

as one of the above posters pointed out...the last time these warnings happened it developed into "black saturday"

173 people died that day....so take your sarcasm and blow it out your poofer valve.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by bellagirl
reply to post by gort51

just one last thing.

as one of the above posters pointed out...the last time these warnings happened it developed into "black saturday"

173 people died that day....so take your sarcasm and blow it out your poofer valve.

funny comment the last bit

Wow rounding up previous convicted fire lighters first off seems a bit extreme. But not a bad idea I think with conditions like these.

Yes black Saturday happened after similar warnings
. A lot of people on edge today watching existing fires not to mention any new ones. I along with most hope it's an un eventful day across the southern states.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by bellagirl
...p.s: nsw police are now detaining anyone previously charged with arson
edit on 7-1-2013 by bellagirl because: (no reason given)

I think they're just keeping an eye on known arsonists
not rounding them up.

news.com.au link

I think it's the wind that's going to be the main problem today. Will be like standing in front of a hair dryer.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
A bit cooler where I am today, but has been in the 40s for a few days. NSW people, please take this seriously, I was at the epicenter of Black Saturday, you CANNOT survive a fire on such a day. It is too intense, black pipe an inch below the soil was melted! A fire bunker door ($1000 worth) designed for bushfire bunkers warped. Sheds melted! If you live in a place with just one road in or out, then get out now, dont come back till tonight. It is too late to leave when the fire is within a10 kms of you as the smoke is too thick and the wind too strong, and you are likely to crash into another car or a fallen tree. Plus ember attack will occur from further away, up to 50kms on Black Saturday. If it was a blizzard outside you would not be expected to go to work, you shouldn't have to today. The fire was travelling at up to 70 km an hour in places.
edit on 7/1/13 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bellagirl

Keep your home grown veggies alive too. One way is to take tire intertubes, or even a kiddy pool to surround plants, poke tiny holes in them so that they leak out slowly.

Other than that make trenches around your plants and fill in with straw to help keep the moisture in. An old bed sheet, or anything to make a sun filter over your plants works well.

If you have not started a garden it is never too late but try and choose locations that will have at least partial days filtered light. Food prices do rise during these events.

Hang clothes to dry rather than using dryer...

Best of fortune to you and yours, you can do this, just stay cool and calm.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
For you Aussies who know what I mean. You are welcome to check this out. I tried to find the English speaking scene however it was pulled from youtube for some reason.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ianska

Sometimes it is the seasonal firefighters who start these types of fires, for the work... it happens, it is not always the arsonists who start these types of fires.

Edit to say that I thought this was the other thread from yesterday about the extreme heat... either way, stay safe everyone.
edit on 7-1-2013 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Ok so its 10am in Sydney at the moment and its 28 degrees.

Certainly doesnt feel like its going to reach the mid 40's though.

There is little to no wind, cloud cover and still a cool tinge to the air.

Its been really weird though with how the news media has prepared for today. For about a week already they have been warning us about today, almost like they kinda of want it to happen. LOTS of fear mongering about today. If our thoughts create our reality then they are really pushing for us to expect extreme heat today.

The news has also been very unusual with its insistence that people spend today in a cinema or shopping centre/mall. Its as if they are trying to turn a hot day into a retail boom - its weird. Never seen them do this before.

Anyway, we are so far sitting pretty and no need even for an air conditioner to go on yet

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bellagirl

Last time a warning like this was issued "Black Saturday" occured.

I was living in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne then, (Croydon, Mooroolbark, Kilsyth etc) and we had a clear view of it coming up and over the Dandenong Ranges. The sky was orange for days. Pretty scary.

Love and light x
edit on 7-1-2013 by samuel1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
haven't heard a word about this in the US media...
...but I do know one of the Kardashians is preggers!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by works4dhs
haven't heard a word about this in the US media...
...but I do know one of the Kardashians is preggers!

Oh how nice

I didnt know what a Kardashian was until two years ago. I thought it was a race of aliens from Star Trek, someting like your avatar. I am glad I konw now or I would be expecting it to give birth like in the movie Alien.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I just thought I'd share this link for anyone interested

au.news.yahoo.com...

Fairly up to date info on the 3 states impacted by this extreme weather & fire situation. Terribly scary in some places where people have been advised to take shelter where they are as its too late to leave....

Eta: I have a horrible feeling today 8th of jan' will be a day for our history books, lets hope it's not for the loss of lives. Stay safe
edit on 7-1-2013 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Just saw this on a twitter feed:

RT @NSWRFS: #NSWRFS statewide update:
124 incidents 340 trucks 1126 Ffighters
63 Aircraft 53989.59 ha burnt. Stay safe #nswfires

Will try to get the original link ...

Edit to add: I won't link it cause the nswfs website keeps crashing due to heavy traffic.

edit on 7/1/2013 by Netties Hermit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
And here is the crisis map:

Current Fires and Incidents map

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
www.abc.net.au...

one of the better sites to keep an eye on

and if anyone is in an affected area listen to the local ABC

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join