It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Unveils Copycat Arsenal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
www.wired.com...

Iran’s newest gunship helicopter, unveiled Wednesday, might look awfully familiar to aviation historians. And it’s not unique in that regard. Almost all of Iran’s “new” weaponry — including jet fighters, ‘copters, warships, tanks, missiles and other equipment — is a copy of a much older American, British, Russian, Chinese or North Korean design.

But that doesn’t mean all of Tehran’s weapons suck. Far from it. While some of the sillier Iranian gear is obviously meant mostly for fleeting propaganda purposes, the main hardware is grounded in experience and hardship. Driven by desperation and shaped by the isolation that comes with widening external sanctions, Tehran’s copycat arsenal could contain a few nasty surprises for the U.S. and its allies in the unlikely event that tensions over Iran’s nuclear program come to blows.

For one, low-tech weapons force the users to fight creatively. “There’s a chance they’ll catch us by surprise,” Air Force Lt. Col. Dan Ward, an engineer and acquisitions expert and prolific writer (.pdf), tells Danger Room in an e-mail.

Equally importantly, Iran’s tendency to produce slightly evolved versions of classic weapons means it doesn’t spend billions of dollars developing, say, a brand-new warplane and all its associated technologies from scratch. “One of the benefits of this ‘frugal innovation’ approach is that it allows a greater quantity of aircraft to be purchased (as opposed to the infamously small fleet of F-22s, for example),” Ward explains.

Mmmmmm, is this a suprise to anyone? Well, it was a suprise to me!

I'm not really sure if they have the training to go with it, but hey, they do seem to have some kit now right?

Worrying??

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I wouldn't say it was worrying but they do have some serious kit.

But Iran has always been a pretty secretive nation so who knows what else they have hidden away.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Looks like all those sanctions didn't bother them too badly on maintaining a robust domestic arms industry. A good point is made by noting how large and diverse a nation they are with what seems to be all they need for research, development and production right there within their own borders.....or close enough to produce what they need.

Of course their copy of the Cobra gunship would last a minute or two in a modern fight against front line fighters from any of the major world powers .... but I don't think they're foolish enough to think otherwise. That would be a nasty thing to see come over a hill unexpectedly for troops on the ground, eh?

* what language is the commentator speaking? I notice the interview with the officer on the tarmac is so far out of sync with his lips, I'm wondering? Is that a translation of the original for a different Middle Eastern nation as it is?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
looks good,
probably handles good,
and could match a vietnam era assault.

but i think the missiles and such on US/UK helicopters, anti air and jets would knock this thing out of the sky before it locked onto a target.

just my guess.. i might be wrong!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I'm not very concerned about it, in a possible scenario Iran vs US.

Take the Apache gunship as an example. The great thing about it is that it's tough and can carry a lot of missiles(weight). If you put some Hellfire missiles in it, add a stealth drone to designate targets from a distance without compromising the heli, and you are unbeatable.

The reason for their power is in the missiles, not the actual helicopter. To the point of past helicopters being canceled over the continuation of the Apache, because it was cheaper to upgrade the systems on the Apache and attach new missiles, than to buy a new model and start from scratch.

However, the heli does look good for their known capabilities. And having a platform is better than having hot air.

But, to be honest... I kind of laughed when I saw the gunner using - what seemed to be - a gamepad for controls.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Iran is doing pretty well, I dont think Iraq, Afghanistan or Vietnam was producing its own weapons

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
How old is the video? My eyes were fixed more on the ticker than anything else because I couldn't understand what the hell he was talking about

Oh and there were a couple of interesting things being mentioned if the video is a recent one.
edit on 8-1-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
The real power of Iran is their people not their Arms........Iranians have been taken advantage of by the super powers for centuries,but in recent decades the newer generation of Iranians have educated themselves enough to know what the westerners intentions on the region always been and still is based on....So they all work together to make the country prosperous and to show the world that a country could stay independent and progress at the same time, despite all wars,sanctions,terrors and sabotages....And there are some Elites in the world that don't like that idea to spread out at all....But it's too late,people are Awakening all over the world and there is nothing anyone can do to stop them anymore.

new topics

top topics

join