learn more

ATS ads making it a nightmare to view the site on a smart phone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Hi Mods and the rest, I know that you need advertising revenue to keep the website afloat however these new ads that hijack the browses when using a smart phone are a joke. I like to browse on my iPhone and use chrome as the browser. These days when I login to ATS an ad for mobile phone competition diverts my page, then I need to back out and come back in. It happens sometimes when I am reading a thread and completely lose where I was. Can you have a look at this as it is really starting to annoy me.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I agree, they hog a lot of my page and make me liable to accidentally click one on my BB torch.

Major pain in the butt.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I thought they were planning to install a completely different layout? Whatever happened to that idea?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Teacher, leave the kids alone!

all in all we're just another brick in
the wall.

I don't think any good website is designed to work on a smart phone. These are internet computer sites, and unless you phone screen is as large as a 1950s TV screen you'll not see the site in any kind of comprehensible clarity or capture the full intent of the posters. imnho.

edit on 6-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I have a ancient prepay phone that has very little capabilities.I am glad to see ATS in the limited capacity that I haue.If I lose a thread or have to log back in,so be it.I admit that can be a bother.Just my humble opinion.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Those ads also block out my Ipad and my Android phone. I can use the desktop in the exact same room (with its cruddy 2mbp connection) but if I try to the pad or the android on the same wireless connection as my desktop they freeze or take five minutes to load. Always hangs on the ads........

Free is free but to not be able to use these two platforms is a guarantee I won't be viewing the website or the ads.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
It's strange as everyone uses their phones to look at the net these days. I also notice ATS seems to log itself out and when you come into the website that's when the pop ups and hijacking start. Maybe something the site owners are unaware of .

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Yes but this is 2013 and the web has moved on they estimate that by 2015 80% of web use will come from tablets and smart phones. I can see the site fully and it is decently built but the ads are terrible.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
Teacher, leave the kids alone!

all in all we're just another brick in
the wall.

I don't think any good website is designed to work on a smart phone. These are internet computer sites, and unless you phone screen is as large as a 1950s TV screen you'll not see the site in any kind of comprehensible clarity or capture the full intent of the posters. imnho.

edit on 6-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

Think you're wrong there, Chief. I believe the last redesign of the ATS layout was meant to be more smart-phone friendly, so "no", sites are meant just to be viewed on big-screen computers. For the record, I am a luddite when it comes to such matters myself; I just have a laptop, but apparently looking at webpages on one's smart phone or tablet/pad is all the rage these days.

i do find it hilarious, however, that ATS wants to cater to its smart-phone-viewing constiuency, but then puts on very annoying/invasive/disruptive ads on its site. One would think all ads and forms of ads would be tested out for their obnoxiousness factor before going online.

It also seems that if ATS wants its members to abide by the no-adblock T&C, then it shouldn't insert such annoying ads that disrupt the site-viewing experience. And it seems advertisers who want business to come from their ads wouldn't want this either. But what do I know? I don't have an MBA from Wharton.

The whole idea of ads is such a joke anyway. I have never bought anything due to an online ad. The only ads that affect me anymore are t.v ads advertising a special deal at some food joint -- and then only rarely.

The only thing to be thankful about with online ads is that fewere trees are being killed to send out ad flyers in the mail.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

"The whole idea of ads is such a joke anyway. I have never bought anything due to an online ad. The only ads that affect me anymore are t.v ads advertising a special deal at some food joint -- and then only rarely.

The only thing to be thankful about with online ads is that fewere trees are being killed to send out ad flyers in the mail. "

I have never clicked an advert because they never sell what I want heh (and no I don't want any surveys asking me what I would like in my adverts lol). I've never bought anything off TV or because I saw it in a commercial.

The things I buy are from reviews and word of mouth. Not someone paid to lie to me for 30 seconds-5 mins in a commercial. I don't really even watch TV anymore because of commercials. IM not going to sit through 35 mins-40 mins of commercials to see 15-25 mins of a program, lol absurd. I don't even know why they are on my TV to begin with.

When TV came out there was commercials because public TV was free, I pay freakin 1k+ a year and I have to sit through commercials. What's the freakin point, now I have to buy a 500+ TV to get any hd benefits. 1k or more a year for the shiny packages pay for the electricity to keep it on and still , STILL forced to sit through commercials to see any programming lol. If it wasn't to make my internet cheaper I wouldn't even have TV (cable) because of commercials. And really I only watch CNN, some fake news stations, history channel, PBS, and cartoon network and that's really just on for my ferrets and an occasional family guy for me hehe.

When I have a need for something , I say to myself... Self I wonder if there is a product out there for the situation I need. Then I go searching. What kills me more is how freakin brainwashed society really is when people and friends ask " hey have you seen that new so and so commercial"....I Just look at them with a blank stare as I feel my IQ slip a hundred points for 15 seconds.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I have to agree. the ads are so bad i dont even feel like coming on here somedays. the worst part? the ads follow your screen when you scroll down. why god why.

and the redesign is not smart phone friendly at all.
edit on 7-1-2013 by SecludedGamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Well, it's really annoying.
My point is, there're loads of apps around, I don't understand why ATS still hasn't developed its own.
I hang around many other forums. One of then is gearslutz, which has a very good app.

Why not ATS?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I'm on my iPhone right now and the site always looks the same as it does on my laptop. I'm using Safari though

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I agree. I don't whats more annoying, the creepy Face Skin Peeling ads or how it looks on iphone...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I'm on an iPhone and I don't have those problems.

The only thing I didn't like about the ads where the leg less lil black girl ones.

I couldn't even eat after that.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by On the level

Actually - ATS ads are making it a extremely difficult to view the site at all especially if you are off line! - on a computer, iphone, ipad, ar whatever else.

Their overriding concern is money apparently. Is this why the sites are so heavily censored as in "policing" so as not to "offend"? This is ad-speak political correctness in spades - right?
Keep everything nice and tidy - real spiffy - that way the AD $'s will continue - right?
edit on 7-1-2013 by Beretta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

iPhone here as well, no problem for me either.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Have to agree

I very rarely am able to view ats on a laptop or desktop PC it's always through an ipad/iPhone or other portable device
The onscreen ads are ok, and necessary to create revenue, as we all understand........ we'll, if you consider constantly being bombarded with housewives loose weight tips and how to look 40 years younger for just a 5er ok

Considering I'm a 30 something male soldier ..........
But then my Internet traffic gets routed via a rebro station so that may explain the ads
But don't mind the ones for cougars lol

But the absolute worst one is like the op said
You load a story up and pow it reloads to a full screen ad .......something along the lines of
congratulations you are our 1,000,000 visitor how's about a free telly.

So you have to exit and reload the story you were trying to view .........all to often the same happens, and I've even thought that these style adds were only attached to certain threads..........maybe

But also I've noticed on my iPhone that I cannot read my ATS mail or replies anymore ???

I thought improvements were made ?
I thought improvement meant better ?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Weird, I've never had problems with ATS on my phone. I had a galaxy S and now for the last 3-4 months a galaxy S3, both running Chrome, and ATS works great. That's from using it through my wifi connection at home as well as regular AT&T cell signal.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I've got the Samsung Galaxy S3 running the Dolphin browser, and it works perfectl !

That's probably because it's a 'much' better handset than the iphone, Mwa ah ah ah ahhhhh..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join