It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit woman calls 911 to report stolen gun, told to call back later!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Detroits new tourist tag lines:

Coming to visit Detroit? Don't forget to bring ur guns!
Come drivin, leave walkin.
Shoot em if you got em.
The friendly city! (compared to iraq)
Hey, Its better then visiting Cuba!
Chances are you will make it out alive!
1 in 10 visitors get a free ambulance ride.

edit on 6-1-2013 by dc4lifeskater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater

Detroits new tourist tag lines:
The friendly city! (compared to iraq)

Iraq is a country, not a city.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

But how long does 'Fresh' last? That's basically what I was trying to say: As far as I can tell, this was not a fresh crime, which is why the 911 Operator didn't see it as being an emergency. 911 is for emergencies.

In my mind I'd say a stolen weapon within the last 24hrs but definitely within the past 12 would be fresh enough to call in as an emergency. Others have noted this and it's absolutely accurate to say her liability on how it was used was a very real thing ...especially while there wasn't even a report that she wasn't the one still holding it if it'd been used nearby.

A more disturbing question in terms of defining fresh would be to ask how long it is before we don't consider a stolen gun in something as easily watched for as a Minivan to go with it worth dialing 911 to report? If she'd found it was missing at 06:30 and it was used to shoot and kill a child a block away at 07:00...yet she waited to call the first time until 08:00 when the offices opened? I'd be calling for HER arrest on the reasonable belief her call could have had an officer in the area to have some chance of stopping a tragedy?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

If she'd found it was missing at 06:30 and it was used to shoot and kill a child a block away at 07:00...yet she waited to call the first time until 08:00 when the offices opened?

As we all know, Detroit has a high crime rate. I am sure that the 911 Operators for Detroit, stay busy year-round. Those operators sometimes have to just use their own judgement when deciding which calls deserve the most attention(the highest priority).

I assume that the 911 Operators are usually not afforded the luxury of being able to use "What If's" as a part of their decision making.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Indeed... Hence, the basis of the story in showing their status for having to select which calls to send a patrol unit out for vs. which get the caller referred to the business offices for someone to eventually come out and take a written report for insurance purposes.

Circumstances really depend here for how wrong she may have been to leave it in the vehicle, especially given the very high crime rate the city there is known for ...but the reaction of 'call back later' does make for the aspect to notice most. No one here knows enough for absolutes....but it's always worth a discussion when odd things like this occur. The environment of extreme sensitivity right now to loose firearms and their potential for misuse added to it a bit, IMO.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Maybe I'm being cynical, but here's my train of thought.

If this woman's vehicle is found, chances are that there will be no gun inside for one of two reasons:

1. The gun was sold, kept by the car thief or otherwise disposed of.
  2. There was no gun in the first place.

I brought up reason #2 because a simple car theft would not merit a 911 call. Saying there is a gun in the vehicle could be an attempt to get the police to act more quickly on finding the vehicle. The dispatcher seeming to treat this as a non-issue makes me wonder how many calls like this they get.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
You HAVE to watch the video at this link: www.myfoxdetroit.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Charmed707

Wait...here's the one I had in mind specifically: www.myfoxdetroit.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopie
Detroit is on a downward spiral and has been for some time now and i know the police are stretched and understaffed but isn't a gun being stolen a big deal in America anymore like if it is used in a murder it will be traced back to her ?

Sorry if i seem stupid i don't know alot about gun laws.

You would think it would be a urgent situation, but it is Detroit. I seen a guy get hit by a car in a hit and run out side of a concert hall and it took 45 for a ambulance to show up, cops never did. The city is so corrupt and so miss managed and the people fight everything anyone tries to do to help turn it around that I don't think there is any hope for it. Hell their last mayor is in court now on federal charges for his BS.in office.I don't Blame her for having a gun she definitely don't know how to be a responsible owner tho.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
"I'm responsible and I don't want someone being killed on my conscience."

...leaves gun in car.

Huurrrr...

I know right?? I can't fathom why anyone would leave their weapon, loaded or not, in their vehicle, while they're inside snoozing overnight. In friggin' Detroit to boot! First off, that's The easiest way for a thief to steal your weapon, and secondly, if your home is invaded in the wee hours, your weapon won't do you any good outside locked in your car. Common sense needs to make a comeback.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
If she has a ccw than why in the hell isn't she carrying it?
2nd

GS

top topics

<< 1   >>

join