It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Security Helicopters Testing Radiation Levels Above DC Area

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I was thinking a bit more on this and an idea came.... If they had developed some measurably better equipment and methods for detection of small amounts from a helicopter, then they'd almost need to resurvey an area as critical as D.C..

There are a variety of things online about just how sensitive the DHS sensors are to detecting routine sources of radiation unrelated to terrorism but this stood out as one for example:

However, brachytherapy may cause urethral strictures in up to 10% of men. (Seeds may later be passed in the urine. They are radioactive, so they should be kept away from pregnant women, because the fetus may be susceptible to radiation-induced birth defects. The seeds can set off Homeland Security radiation detectors.) Cure rates 10 to 15 years after brachytherapy are similar to rates obtained with other treatments for some men. Combined treatment with brachytherapy and external beam radiation therapy is sometimes recommended for more aggressive cancers.
(Source - General facts of Prostate Cancer and Treatments )

I'm just guessing of course, but few places are as critical as D,C....and the Inaguration is coming up where we know the SS has already looked for buses to literally blockade parts the route as physical shields. They seem concerned. I suppose a baseline would be necessary. It would be bad to do a full air search for the first time with new equipment to discover it picks up so much, there is no way to then figure out what is and isn't real...if a previous run hadn't shown 'normal'?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
The radiation spike around the Israeli Embassy has long been in question. Personally I think that there must have been a discussion about this hot spot between the US and the Israelis. I only assume this as I do not think that the USA would tolerate such a spike without investigation and or closing the embassy outright.

There was once a thought that Israel has a massive nuke ready to destroy Washington if we don't support their evil ways. I always found that one amusing.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
maybe they are measuring to see if there is any Van Eck phreaking going on? Probably not
just putting that out there!
edit on 1/6/2013 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

There was once a thought that Israel has a massive nuke ready to destroy Washington if we don't support their evil ways. I always found that one amusing.

I agree.

The funny thing here is......Israel's Nukes are all technically owned by the US (The last count I heard of was in the mid to late 90's and they had 419 at the time).

As to detecting radiation in the US.......They do not give a crap about fallout from Fukushima....It is the fallout from the Nevada test site that has them worried.

America's worst kept secret.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I'd guess the measurements would be useful in the timeframe done in order to have the baseline ahead of the upcoming inauguration. Then any anomalies showing different from baseline just prior to the event would get instant security checks.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

Are you suggesting it could be something obvious with a known purpose and a logical reason??

How quaint!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonFire1024
Why do they need helicopters to do this? Don't they have satellites that can detect radiation? What about devices on the ground?

You have to be close to detect low level sources - you can't detect small sources from orbit at all. We do have orbital radiation detectors of various kinds, but they are for detecting nuclear detonations.

They do this sweep every six months or so, they're mapping baseline values in case they need to find a device later.

BTW, nuclear weapons don't emit doodly squat in terms of radiation. Hard to spot them at all.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This sounds like something out of an Ian Fleming novel but the ultimate "Specter-sih" (read NWO) plot (read total government coup/FF) would be to destroy Washington, DC with a nuclear device with Congress and the SCOTUS in town while the POTUS and top cabinet members were meeting "out of town"....say in Denver?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This is a good thread. Just so everyone is aware, we had this in San Francisco this past August. See the attached article (San Francisco Examiner). When the chopper was "doing its thing", it was lightly covered by MSM outlets here because despite the high-rises, the helecopter was flying at levels around 300ft.

www.sfexaminer.com...

The way it worked here was interesting. In my opinion -- it was a buried news story.

Most media outlets gave it a 15 - 30 second spot on the news and a buried article online. Never made any major headlines -- despite our geography (and timing) relative to Fukashima.

Interesting to see DC gets it now -- over 4mos later . . . Keep up the good work guys . . . .
edit on 6-1-2013 by SFWatcher because: changed 500ft to 300ft.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
maybe they are measuring to see if there is any Van Eck phreaking going on? Probably not
just putting that out there!
edit on 1/6/2013 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

Well,thats interesting,to say the least.

So many put they're lives out there via social networking,it's easy pickings.
No need for all that high tech stuff,well maybe for those of us who avoid those venues.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Anyone else have a metal taste in their mouth? Me and a co worker both started tasting metal tonight and then when I got home my roommate was saying how he had a metal taste in his mouth and now our tongues are numb?!?!
I ask this because its a tall tell sign of radiation poisoning...and I came across this headline looking for answers.
edit on 6-1-2013 by tator3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonFire1024

NNSA is making the public aware of the upcoming flights so that citizens who see the low-flying aircraft are not alarmed by the helicopters conducting the tests.

So the flights have been taking place December 27, 2012 and it is January 6, 2013, but this organization is just now giving local citizens the heads up. Why? What stopped them from releasing the information before now?

...baseline levels can be established and used in security and emergency preparedness...

Why do they need helicopters to do this? Don't they have satellites that can detect radiation? What about devices on the ground?

washington.cbslocal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Desensitizing the public from seeing these craft, so they consider it normal, maybe? Why would they only now be gathering data on "normal" radiation amounts? Something ver off about that story....S&F.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
reply to post by Mamatus

I agree.

The funny thing here is......Israel's Nukes are all technically owned by the US (The last count I heard of was in the mid to late 90's and they had 419 at the time).

Can you back that up? That's interesting. How can they be owned by the US if Izzy built them and stores them in thier country?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RocksFromSpace
Looking for a Nuclear Hot Spot look no further then the Israeli Embassy

ISRAELI EMBASSY IN NYC A RADIATION HOT SPOT
by x Saturday, Oct. 14, 2006 at 1:05 PM

Feds surveyed NYC for radiation, found tainted park, Embassy

WASHINGTON -- Anti-terrorism officials conducted a helicopter survey of
New York City's radiation sources in preparation for a so-called "dirty
bomb" attack - and discovered a Staten Island park with dangerously high
levels of radium, a new report found.

Federal authorities found 80 unexpected "hot spots" around New York
City, according to the Government Accountability Office, the
investigative arm of Congress.

One alleged radiation hot spot on Manhattan's east side has the
potential for becoming a political hot spot: A strong radiation spike
from the area of the Israeli Embassy. Officials would not comment on why
they thought that particular area allegedly showed such a stunning peak
in radiation.

Full Story: cleveland.indymedia.org...

I was waiting for someone to bring this up.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Baseline radiation readings on all the medical sources like cancer treatment equipment and materials.

Some things like radiation seed materials stocks can change from week to week.

And there is a slim possibility someone might bring in a unrecorded source for something like industrial X-ray

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
It is suprising to me that there arent any radiation detectors already set up throughout DC. Geiger counters are relatively inexpensive and accurate.

It must be easier to test for radiation through the prop-wash of a helicopter I guess.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Snsoc

Can you back that up? That's interesting. How can they be owned by the US if Izzy built them and stores them in thier country?

They were built by the US and "loaned" to Israel.

It isn't the only country to be holding US ICBM's either, there are a few allies of the US that have them as well.

How do I know? I know the people who built the facility to house them.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
It's encouraging to know this: that theyve obtained base-readings just it case...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonFire1024

Hey Dragon Fire... I missed this, sorry I didn't see it earlier.

I did a thread about this when they sampled the air here in SF Bay Area...

I was unclear at the beginning what the sampling was about or how they were accomplishing it from a helicopter. Then at the end I hit upon the technology.

The helicopter has two pods on the side of it that contain compressors and filter paper to capture particulates in the air. There are other instruments on board (like geiger counters) that measure "background" as they fly along. The "pods" are the same technology they been using for decades to detect and measure radioactivity from atomic bomb tests and violations of treaties.

Helicopter video

In this shot from the link below you can see the pod on the side of the plane about middle:

www.globalsecurity.org...

The WC-135 aircraft is a modified C-135B. The Constant Phoenix's modifications are primarily related to its on-board atmospheric collection suite, which allows the mission crew to detect radioactive "clouds" in real time.

The aircraft is equipped with external flow-through devices to collect particulates on filter paper and a compressor system for whole air samples collected in holding spheres.

CONSTANT PHOENIX WC-135W

The "holding spheres" are the pods.

You connect the dots...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join