It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urban Exploration Novice - Seeks Advice.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Hello, My apologies if this is in the wrong place but i couldn't find a better place to post this.

I am from the UK and have recently started doing a little Urban Exploration, well when i say a little i mean a little, I went to Whittingham Mental Asylum in Lancashire, England which to be honest is a very creepy place. It is an abandoned asylum which opened in the late 1800's and closed its doors for the last time in 1995. It was once the biggest Asylum in the UK and second biggest in Europe housing over 3000 people at its peak. Anyway im straying a little.

Once i got there i found out i was vastly unprepared for this location as i have no notable equipment for such outings but i did really enjoy it there and i want to get back out and explore which brings me to my question.

Does anyone know any must have essentials for urban exploration ?
Like any handy items or any cool little gadgets that might help me out a little ?

All help is welcome.
Thank you in advance.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

Me and my friends used to screw around in an old abandoned mental hospital when we were teenagers.

I think it is unwise to go exploring those types of places alone, many are in poor structural condition, so there are those types of hazards.
There are also homeless people and dope heads to consider.

As far a equipment:
-Phone/radio, some type of communication device.
-1st Aid kit.
-Rope.
-Flashlight.
-Spray paint or poker chips to mark your path.
(Places like that can have catacombs or service tunnels underneath that sprawl for a good distance)

I'm sure others can expand on my list, but this should get you started.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Thanks a lot for the input.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
SPOT emergency transmitter. Check-ins are free so I always send one when I'm entering a new location so that my friends know the last place and time I was safe. They are affordable for most people and work by satellite on most landmasses in the world.

Other than that. File a flight plan with someone, even if it is fairly broad.

A proper knife is the number one get out of trouble tool no matter where you are in the world. A multi tool is very handy in an urban environment.

GPS

Camera.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I always have two flashlights because they tend to fail often and that is dangerous in old buildings. Even a little key chain light as a backup is adequate.

Good to have drinking water with you too.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I may look into getting a spot transmitter, and as for the flashlight i had a good one but its broken now so ill invest in a couple of good ones.

Also in Scotland there is strict knife laws and it is illegal to carry one.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

Wow, that's unimaginable! I can't even conceive of setting out anywhere without a knife. It is the first item that can provide every other tool of survival. Your government is very much risking peoples lives by sending them out unprepared. I hope they offer a free, anytime, anywhere rescue service in exchange. They better start handing out free SPOTs too.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Got to ask you,if you don't mind ,your age?

Some snacks and water would be a good start.
Heavy boots and appropriate clothing for a possible long stay if something happens.
Communication.
And a friend,don't do it alone.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I am 22 and yeah i often bring a sandwich and some fluids. But never thought about boots before always wear trainers ( sneakers ) for comfort and maneuverability.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

The knife is the weapon of choice in Scotland

Which is why it illegal to carry one in public.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopie
I may look into getting a spot transmitter, and as for the flashlight i had a good one but its broken now so ill invest in a couple of good ones.

Also in Scotland there is strict knife laws and it is illegal to carry one.

illegal to carry a pocket knife? I could see them getting bent out of shape over a samuri sword but a little pocket knife?

Have bail money ready because it sounds like trespassing
edit on 7-1-2013 by gangdumstyle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by gangdumstyle

illegal to carry a pocket knife? I could see them getting bent out of shape over a samuri sword but a little pocket knife?

Have bail money ready because it sounds like trespassing
edit on 7-1-2013 by gangdumstyle because: (no reason given)

Yeah cant have a knife in anywhere defined as a public space which is pretty much everywhere.

The Criminal Justice Act 1988 mainly relates to carrying knives in public places, Section 139 being the most important: (1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any person who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public place shall be guilty of an offence. (2) Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except a folding pocketknife. (3) This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches. (4) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place. The definition of "public place" is unsettled, but can loosely be defined as anywhere the public have a legitimate right to be whether this access is paid for or not, which could include any populated area within the United Kingdom, including one's motor vehicle, which is defined by law as a 'public place' unless parked on private property. In a remote or otherwise unpopulated area, a public place could include: 1) an organised wilderness gathering or event; 2) a National Park; 3) Forestry Commission land that is held open to the public; 4) public footpaths; 5) bridleways; and 6) any area where an individual does not need to ask specific permission to walk, camp, or travel from a landowner.[37]

Source: en.wikipedia.org...en.wikipedia.org... striction_of_Offensive_Weapons_Act_1959

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
good tips so far.

i would add:

- a gas mask (dust, asbestos, lead, chemicals and other nasty stuff will fly around in abandonend industrial buildings)

- chalk sticks/orientation line to mark your way and to find your way back (especially in underground systems/catacombs

- what helps sometimes is a "official" looking constructor outfit with a matching cover story (we are here with power company xy to check the cables, since we heard that....) in some cases it can save you, when questions are asked....

- ALWAYS tell a trusted person exactly when and where you want to go, including a time of return. In case you don't get back in time the person should start rescue mission. (don't forget to call them when you are out safe ;-)

Can't stress the last point enough, there have been so many urbexer who never came back.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by svetlana84

Thanks for all the good tips.

Yeah i will tell some-one where i am i don't want to be another missing person.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
So far i have invested in one highpower flashlight, one small LED back up light, some chalk to mark my way and some climbing rope.

I'm accumulating some stuff.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The spot will not help inside the building, these are better than nothing when in the open wild, but are not very reliable.

You can always think of things to add, but you have a pretty good list going. You dont want to have to carry too much so you can stay lite.

flashlights, I prefer headlight personally
dustmask and or bandana
knife/multitool and or small prybar
phone or walkie
way to mark path
gloves
sturdy shoes/boots
Tell folks where your going and when to expect you back
water
snack bar, but food is not that important compared to water so only simple small items
lite jacket
Small first aid kit
This should be all you really need

top topics

join