It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fleet of Russian warships reportedly en route to Syria to head off a Western attack

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Didn't the Russians already deploy ships previously this past November?

"Russian warships have entered Syrian territorial waters in an aggressive move designed to prevent any NATO-led attack on the country under the guise of a “humanitarian intervention”." - November 18, 2011

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I somehow doubt it.

In the end, the real question is whether the administration can set aside the narcissistic pseudo-moralism and perceived domestic political benefits of a total military victory that probably won’t end the violence in Syria—and might in fact produce a heavily armed and deeply divided failed state on Israel’s border—in favor of a transitional power-sharing arrangement that truly saves lives by stopping the fighting and creating a basis for sustainable peace inside the country. Few would dispute that Russia’s domestic and international conduct is often troubling and its relationship with the United States is in decline. Nevertheless, Moscow might be willing and able to work with America to find a negotiated solution to Syria’s civil war. This outcome would be better for U.S. interests, and for U.S. values, than ongoing violence that creates a failed state, a terrorist haven, extremist Islamist regime—or all three—in Syria. Shouldn’t we give it a try?

LINK
LINK1
LINK2

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

It's not the numbers that matter, what it means does matter.

Um, Ok......

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

Over 60,000 people have died in Syria since hte start of the assad regime's attack on its citizens. The RtoP is a United Nations initiative that they passed in 2005. This was used in Libya to help take out Gaddafi and his regime of terror. The goal of the initiative is to make nation sovereignty a responsibility, not a right. All this does is give teeth to the actions of the UN. Established after World War 2, the UN has long talked about responsibility, but it has never enforced the rules.

Above all, if the same rules that were applied to Libya still stand today, it's only a matter of time before they're applied in Syria. I am surprised that they haven't been applied yet.

If the rules are applied it demands the international community does what Assad refuses to. This is to protect his own people. Instead of protecting them, he is attacking them.

I remember when I said Gaddafi's days are numbered. It was clear to me then that the forces against him were united and he had lost his mind. It was similar to the days preceding Operation Iraqi Freedom. The difference was that it wasn't America that was shouting, it was the whole world.

Well I'm here to say Assad's days are numbered. The opposition to him is immense, across the world. If anybody thinks he'll survive this, you're not paying attention to the situation.

His only chance is to run. But he won't because he's just as stubborn as Gaddafi. The rebels won't quit until they're all killed or Assad's regime steps down. The writing is on the wall.

What we have to understand is that Syria is not just anti-israel, they're anti everything that's good in this world. They're not going to step down. They're filled with extremist passion.

These wars in the middle east unfortunately shall continue. Why do i say this? Because anti-israel and anti-western hatred is still widespread. Because Iran. Because Russia and China refuse to work with the international community in such a way that these tensions can be brought down. Instead they seek to undermine it in an attempt to get the US stuck in middle east wars.

Where was Russia and China in Gulf War 1 and Operationt Iraqi Freedom? What about Operation Enduring Freedom? What about Libya? I ask? They were on the other side!

They were behind the curtains pulling the levers. Thinking they're smart. But if they keep on doing it, they'll end up losing in the end because we will know them by their actions (inactions!).

Russia and China need to stop treating this like it's us versus them. What they're forgetting is it has been the US that's been fighting. It's the US that has the experience. So while they're sitting in the corner with their calculators, the US is the one that actually knows how to fight a war.

You may look deeper into it here:
en.wikipedia.org - Responsibility to protect...
edit on 7-1-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Why hasn't someone put a couple of bullets in Assad's head, to bring the end of this silly little game. Or do we all wait until he is hiding under a bridge with his little gold gun.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by superman2012

It's not the numbers that matter, what it means does matter.

Um, Ok......

You deny this? If the headline was true, it would mean a lot more than your silly little laughing emoticon...whether you want to believe it or not..

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Libertygal

Apologies for that error.

Regardless, it is still drama, as it is much ado about nothing.

No problem. I agree.

The Baltic Fleet Elements are still making their way East in the Mediterranean.

Russian Navy Tanker Lena is currently off Algeria and heading East. From the Morse Code weather broadcast during 12 GMT.

12464 Kilohertz, 8th January, 12 GMT

RCV DE RKO81 08121 99377 10072 22222 @1214Z

37.7N 7.2E Heading East at 6-10 Knots

Map Link

One unidentified vessel that was previously at Tartus, Syria is likely heading for the Turkish Straits and home port in the Black Sea?

12464 Kilohertz, 8th January, 09 GMT

RCV DE RIR96 08091 99396 10256 22213 @0903Z

39.6N 25.6E Heading North East at 6-10 Knots

Map Link

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ausername
www.timesofisrael.com...

A flotilla of five Russian warships laden with hundreds of troops, which is headed toward Syria, is a show of force meant to deter Western armies from intervening in the war-torn nation, the London-based Sunday Times reported.

Interesting developments as the west/NATO and Russia take sides in this conflict, which also indirectly involves Iran, and has much broader potential implications for the region, and especially for Israel.

NATO’s recent deployment of Patriot anti-missile batteries in Turkey has raised concerns in Moscow about its ability to maintain a strategic foothold in the country, the report said, .

There has also been increasing indication that Israel and the US are mulling a military move in Syria to secure the country’s sizable stockpile of chemical weapons, which decision-makers fear could be turned against Israel, as well as on Syrian rebels, should Assad come to the conclusion that his days are numbered.

Wouldn't we all be better off if there was NO outside involvement in the Syrian "civil war"?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think we can all safely assume that if there was NO outside involvement in the Syrian "civil war" there would be no Syrian "civil war". A country, or coalition of them see some benefit in inciting civil war. Another country, or coalition of them feel it is in their best interest to quell the civil war. They may lose some troops in the process but they are just pawns in the government's eye. Meanwhile, there literally are scores of thousands of dead civilians in the wake. Not just innocent women and children, innocent Men, women and children.

When the well eventually dries up in the US and civil unrest ensues I wonder who will be inciting and quelling on our soil. Our creditor nations know we can't even pass a budget. Surely they know we will never be able to pay back a debt that we are borrowing to pay the interest on. Will they want physical assets like massive swaths of land as re-payment? Perhaps that is the real asset they are lending against now, assets gained through wars and generations of hard work, not our current ability or will to repay them.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

And that's the problem.

The Headline WASN'T true.

Another member made that abundantly clear, page 1.

My "silly" emoticon, was par for the course. Sorry if you disagree with it.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Sorry, I made the mistake of thinking that you were thinking hypothetically and laughing about the quite literal hundreds of them against the US. My point still stands though, it isn't the numbers, but, what it would mean for them to go against the US. Point is moot, but correct.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Two of the Black Sea Fleet large landing craft are returning to home port in the Black Sea through the Turkish Strait. On the 8th January Landing Ships Azov and Nikolay Filchenkov passed through the Dardanelles on their way home. From the Turkish news page and also confirmed by Turkish Naval enthusiasts.

Image of Azov

www.shipspotting.com...

Image of Nikolay Filchenkov

www.shipspotting.com...

Turkish news link.

www.dha.com.tr...

Baltic Fleet Tanker Lena is south of Italy as of 9th January, 18 GMT

Positional info from the Morse Code weather broadcast.

8345 Kilohertz

RIW DE RKO81 09181 99367 10133 22233 @1809Z

36.7N 13.3E Heading South East at 11-15 Knots

Map Link

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Two large amphibious ships of the Black Sea Fleet which took part in the operations in Eastern Mediterranean returned to the Black Sea today. The Ropucha class 151 Azov and the Alligator class 152 Nikolay Filchenkov, returned to the Black Sea today.

Source Link

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Two vessels of the Baltic Fleet Task Force, Tanker Lena and Frigate Yaroslav Mudry, are currently in Malta. Departure scheduled on 13th January.

Images of Lena and Yaroslav Mudry in Malta, Jan 10th.

www.shipspotting.com...

www.shipspotting.com...

www.shipspotting.com...

www.shipspotting.com...

www.shipspotting.com...

maltaspotting.blogspot.co.uk...

www.maltaspotting.com...

Tanker Lena (Call sign RKO81) should start sending Morse Code weather and position reports on departure from Malta.

Black Sea Fleet Tanker, Ivan Bubnov, is in Larnaca, Cyprus.

12464 Kilohertz - Positional info stripped out from the Morse Code weather.

RCV DE RCJG 10121 99349 10337 22200 @1205Z

34.9N 33.7E Hove to

Map Link

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join