It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are all EVIL.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by KrzYma

Neither, just the truth.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Well, whose truth?

There is an ideal truth and realistic truth.

For example, if some young documentary film-maker took each part of the computer you (or me, for example) are working on now and he traced every component back to a poorer nation, and say he invited you to ask those workers if they'd rather have a job or live off the land, don't you think they'd rather choose the job?

In fact, reverting to pre-industrial life will require major genocide and de-population, along the lines of Pol Pot.
I hope you do not argue for this.

I think there is a third option, and that is increased consumer choice for ethical and sustainable products.

Unfortunately up to now it has rarely been based on science or anything provable, but this can be improved.

Mostly the middle classes see it as too expensive.
I mean who can really afford to buy a shower gel at the Body Shop at almost three times the normal price?

So there should be more voting with wallets and open debates on what "ethical" should entail.

On the other hand, to say one is against sweat-shops, or certain shoes or carpets could rob an entire extended family from eating.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

The truth

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Evil backwards is Live. I guess I am sort of evil. I'm not dead.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by lunarasparagus

The truth is, all of us living in developed countries could do without most of the luxuries that make our lives easy and comfortable and could figure out a way to make use of all our excess wealth to save lives and eliminate the suffering of others in the world living in poverty and disease. But the truth is, we don't want to. Maybe we make token contributions to various charities, or vote for "progressive" social policies, but most of us are unwilling to give up the comforts we're so attached to, e.g., our iphones, flat-screen tv's, vacation trips, etc. We don't really care about starving, suffering, neglected children living throughout the world. If we did, we would do something--take some real action. But we don't care. Your'e evil. And I'm evil.

I work hard, take care of my family, and focus much of my time helping other people.

How is that evil?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
reply to post by misse2miss

and if I were a masochist would you like me to treat you as I would like?

edit on 6-1-2013 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

Well if that's how you would want to be treated... But i can guarantee you would be no friend of mine. But you are missing the bigger picture. The only point i was trying to make was instead of going along with the crowd and doing things to others because it has been done to you... instead break that never ending chain and literally start to treat people the way you would like to be treated. I know its a long shot but i live my life that way and i am much happier than when i was a bitter! Thats all i have to say about that!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by sconner755

The truth is, all of us living in developed countries could do without most of the luxuries that make our lives easy and comfortable and could figure out a way to make use of all our excess wealth to save lives and eliminate the suffering of others in the world living in poverty and disease. But the truth is, we don't want to. Maybe we make token contributions to various charities, or vote for "progressive" social policies, but most of us are unwilling to give up the comforts we're so attached to, e.g., our iphones, flat-screen tv's, vacation trips, etc. We don't really care about starving, suffering, neglected children living throughout the world. If we did, we would do something--take some real action. But we don't care. Your'e evil. And I'm evil.

I work hard, take care of my family, and focus much of my time helping other people.

How is that evil?

It is not evil!! Every human sins,that does not make them evil. But what makes them evil is not knowing right from wrong! ( i'm not talking about mentally disabled people so please do not take it there)
edit on 7-1-2013 by misse2miss because: error

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by lunarasparagus

I am not evil, you are not evil. You know the struggle, don't curse your blessings, help when you can.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by misse2miss

Well if that's how you would want to be treated... But i can guarantee you would be no friend of mine. But you are missing the bigger picture. The only point i was trying to make was instead of going along with the crowd and doing things to others because it has been done to you... instead break that never ending chain and literally start to treat people the way you would like to be treated. I know its a long shot but i live my life that way and i am much happier than when i was a bitter! Thats all i have to say about that!

I would hope not to be your friend in this case. I'm not a masocist it was just a point.
Treat people exactly as you wish and let them decide whether to be offended or complimented, I won't change my veiws to appease some non thinking idiot. I won't change who I am (I'm really rather fond of me). I treat people as I find them. Always have always will, sure some get offended that's their right, some think, and we discuss at length ideas or concepts. Occasionaly I am challanged and forced to alter my opinion.

So treat all people as your equal, but accept that some are wrong.
I was once wrong ...................... I thought I'd made a mistake

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by misse2miss

How is that evil?

It is not evil!! Every human sins,that does not make them evil. But what makes them evil is not knowing right from wrong! ( i'm not talking about mentally disabled people so please do not take it there)
edit on 7-1-2013 by misse2miss because: error

It seems to me that not knowing right from wrong is not so much evil as it is ignorant or oblivious. Evil is more knowing right from wrong and willfully choosing wrong.
edit on 9-1-2013 by lunarasparagus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

How is that evil?

It's evil because while you and your family are enjoying a nice, relatively carefree life, others are dying of starvation and disease, being sold to brothels as children, living in abusive and neglectful orphanages, etc. And despite this reality, you do effectively nothing to address it or try to stop it. You're complicit by your passiveness. You participate in and condone a capitalist system that hoards wealth. You flush your feces with fresh drinkable water, while others in the world have NO access to clean water for drinking, much less for flushing shlt. You're evil because you ignore injustice in order to preserve your own excessive comforts.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

You sound like my parents trying to guilt my sister into eating something on her plate that she didn't want to eat. Her answer was, "so, send it to those starving children". The truth is that they couldn't, just like most people in developed countries really can't do anything about those suffering in the third world.

I would also like to point out that while, in comparison to the developed world there is more poverty, it isn't as bad as charities make it out to be. It is marketing to get you to open up your wallet. It's a business and they like profits just as much as any other business, even if they are labeled "non-profit".

edit on 9-1-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Your'e evil. And I'm evil.

Nope.
I'm a forum member and you are a troll.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
so we are over populated.
perhaps its gods fault as "he" was supposed to have said;-

"be fruitful and multiply!"

but nothing is either good nor evil 'cept thinking makes it so.

the universe just keeps rolling on with all its apparent injustices. only when mankind evolves/unfolds the greater spiritual potential within will he be seriously concerned with all others plight.
i believe that time/cycle is built in to the whole scheme of things and may occur after the next/last great war on this planet.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Do not confuse evilness with indifference. They are not the same.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Your'e evil. And I'm evil.

Nope.
I'm a forum member and you are a troll.

Thanks for confirming my point. We're both evil.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Foundryman

Originally posted by Foundryman:
Do not confuse evilness with indifference. They are not the same.

Indifference to evil is evil.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I think we are born rather good but the world is kinda rotten where good doesn't last long.

It's like a nice shining apple, wait a a few days..
edit on 10-1-2013 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Originally posted by daskakik

You sound like my parents trying to guilt my sister into eating something on her plate that she didn't want to eat. Her answer was, "so, send it to those starving children". The truth is that they couldn't, just like most people in developed countries really can't do anything about those suffering in the third world.

I would also like to point out that while, in comparison to the developed world there is more poverty, it isn't as bad as charities make it out to be. It is marketing to get you to open up your wallet. It's a business and they like profits just as much as any other business, even if they are labeled "non-profit".

edit on 9-1-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

Fascinating. Well, your story about your parents only illustrates that they, too, are evil, since they acknowledged the existence of starving children elsewhere, but did NOTHING about it other than attempt to mitigate their guilt by ensuring that none of your sister's dinner landed in the garbage.

And your rationalization regarding the "truth" that your parents and others "really can't do anything about those suffering in the third world" may put your conscience (and theirs) at ease, but is ultimately a cover for the CHOICE to perpetually gluttonize while ignoring the destitution of others suffering poverty, starvation, and abuse.

Then again, like you say, it really isn't "as bad as charities make it out to be". Even if a few hundred thousand people are genuinely starving and suffering and dying--it could be much worse--like millions. So why bother?

By the way, unlike you and your parents and me, there are people in the world who are not so evil.

Meet James Pond:

edit on 10-1-2013 by lunarasparagus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

And your rationalization regarding the "truth" that your parents and others "really can't do anything about those suffering in the third world" may put your conscience (and theirs) at ease, but is ultimately a cover for the CHOICE to perpetually gluttonize while ignoring the destitution of others suffering poverty, starvation, and abuse.

You fail to realize the reality of the situation.

Then again, like you say, it really isn't "as bad as charities make it out to be". Even if a few hundred thousand people are genuinely starving and suffering and dying--it could be much worse--like millions. So why bother?

There are probably people who need help in your town or city. Help them out and stop giving money to people who keep 75% of the donation for "operational costs".

By the way, unlike you and your parents and me, there are people in the world who are not so evil.

I don't know about you but my parents and I are not evil. We actually help out. That one example is not indicative of the help that we have offered others. It was just an example of how difficult it is for many to help those that are far away and you trying to lay a guilt trip on them isn't going to make the help reach the people who really need it.

edit on 10-1-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join