It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why America is Severely Broken - Meet Alice Walton

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sandalphon

Having any job is better than none, and misery loves company so there are plenty of overworked underpaid people at WhaleMart who are happy they aren't the only ones at the job. Jobs bring dependency on them. People just got used to them.

I said earlier that the crazy rich Walton is a non-issue. What she has or does means nothing us. I live a pretty good life, not rich, but not wanting and I pay a good amount of taxes. If I was still doing what I did in my 20s, or never evolved in jobs, skills, and education I would be one of those people blaming the nut case for only paying me 9 bucks per hour instead of some whopping 13 bucks per hour... Geez

How many times does it need to be said that a job requiring no skills to start and that has unlimited no skill people wanting to do it will make basically minimum wage. Why is this so hard to understand?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

Your chances for being stuck in an entry level job are good if you don't do your homework at an early age. Think big and create that company that is outsourcing jobs to China. Or think small and be his receptionist. Your choice.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
To help some people understand what Walmart is:

Imagine whatever industry you work in (engineering, medical, sales, etc), that Walmart suddenly opens up its own department in that field.

Now, you're accustomed to making $40 per hour and hey...it's your right you've gone to college and worked hard. But check this out! Since Walmart is now in your industry, they use the same model they used in retail, they find Chinese or Indian workers to do YOUR job for a fraction of what you are currently paid!!!

That's right they either export your job or import workers that will gladly do YOUR job for $10 per hour even though they have the same education as you!

It's not so funny now is it?

Some of you need to look at things from all angles before you comment!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

I submit this too you:

To help some people understand what Walmart is:

Imagine whatever industry you work in (engineering, medical, sales, etc), that Walmart suddenly opens up its own department in that field.

Now, you're accustomed to making $40 per hour and hey...it's your right you've gone to college and worked hard. But check this out! Since Walmart is now in your industry, they use the same model they used in retail, they find Chinese or Indian workers to do YOUR job for a fraction of what you are currently paid!!!

That's right they either export your job or import workers that will gladly do YOUR job for $10 per hour even though they have the same education as you!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

My client type is not going to Wal-Mart for tax consulting. Trust me.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by White Locust

Your chances for being stuck in an entry level job are good if you don't do your homework at an early age. Think big and create that company that is outsourcing jobs to China. Or think small and be his receptionist. Your choice.

See you're still thinking only about yourself and small. Everyone can't create a job that outsources to China, someone has to salt the fries and sweep the floor.

The question is why should we treat these people like dirt?

I work in employment and many of my customers are educated with multiple degrees, and guess what? They are having to accept Walmart and other fast food jobs.

Our economic model is #ed now. Our time of exceptionalism is over. The economy is now global and our workforce can't compete with these Third World countries. So in the name of capitalism, your employer will find a way to cut a corner and outsource YOUR job soon!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by White Locust

I think you understand what I'm saying...

What happens when a company, not necessarily Walmart, uses Walmart tactics and decides that instead of paying you a nice wage...it's more cost effective to employ people willing to do YOUR job for $10 per hour?

That's capitalism.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
It seems kind of funny that all this talk of underpay started after our commander and chief exploded the deficit that has double most cost of living expenses. So now it is the employer's fault for underpaying what was ok pay four years ago. If someone is now not able to make their bills I would look to the White House as to the real reason why.

I personally make less money than I did four years ago because my company can not maintain raises with our crazy inflation rates. I'm about 10 to 15 percent less, for me not a huge deal, but if I was already on the edge that is enough to push me over it like so many families these last few years.

You all want to condemn some crazy bitch, and look the other way with Obama, well, all I can say is enjoy your prospering years under him....
edit on 7-1-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright

What happens when a company, not necessarily Walmart, uses Walmart tactics and decides that instead of paying you a nice wage...it's more cost effective to employ people willing to do YOUR job for $10 per hour?

That's capitalism.

With my skill sets, I would say good luck finding someone. One thing to think about pay = quality too. You under pay you get crap workers...I see it all the time with companies that try and undercut the industry standard, but is Wal-Mat undercutting industry standards?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

The primary goal of Wal-Mart is to maximize the returns for their shareholders. They do this by increasing sales and decreasing expenses. I learned this in business school.

But my mom taught me a much more powerful lesson. Do not adopt a defeatist attitude.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I see a lot of Americans working for Wal-Mart

I don't like Wal-Mart at all..would never work there or shop there...we showed the videos of Wal-Mart people...let them have it. With that said Wal-Mart fills 2 million jobs world wide...drop in the bucket...I would get skills that are above Wal-Mart and never look back.

BTW I made sure my skills were not able to go overseas to that was actually part of my life plan to not have a skill that would be competed by some guy in India..silly me....

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

I agree. Expand this idea and think of Apple. They come into established markets and clearly charge more than their competitors. But their products are superior across the board. This is capitalism too. Wal-Mart can not possibly disrupt the Apple market in the near future. They are not apple to apples. No Pun intended ahhahaha.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
It seems kind of funny that all this talk of underpay started after our commander and chief exploded the deficit that has double most cost of living expenses. So now it is the employer's fault for underpaying what was ok pay four years ago. If someone is now not able to make their bills I would look to the White House as to the real reason why.

I personally make less money than I did four years ago because my company can not maintain raises with our crazy inflation rates. I'm about 10 to 15 percent less, for me not a huge deal, but if I was already on the edge that is enough to push me over it like so many families these last few years.

You all want to condemn some crazy bitch, and look the other way with Obama, well, all I can say is enjoy your prospering years under him....

Just a shot at Obama I see...

Walmart didn't suddenly start paying $8 per hour they've been doing this and people have been struggling.

The deficit has nothing to do with our living expenses...and besides, it has to explode because our house has gotten bigger. If you move from a 1500sqft home to a 15000sqft home guess what? Your electric, water, insurance and everything else will rise.

Our country has grown so the cost of maintaining it has grown, it's really simple.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Lol ok you are right.....enjoy

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

That's capitalism.

With my skill sets, I would say good luck finding someone. One thing to think about pay = quality too. You under pay you get crap workers...I see it all the time with companies that try and undercut the industry standard, but is Wal-Mat undercutting industry standards?

Yep, I deal with people everyday in my office who were sure their skill set would keep them employed. Sadly, they were mistaken and they are now unemployed and generally viewed as unemployable!

There are very few jobs that someone can't be replaced. As I've stated, companies are LOOKING to replace their skilled American employees because we cost too much. As bad as our economy is, there are people who can do your job and will do it for half or a quarter of what you accept.

Walmart is selling crap merchandise, but people are still buying it because it's cheaper. Your employer will fire you and get a crap employee and keep right on trucking.

America is ####ed!!!!!

We have two options to save us:

1. Raise the standard of living in Third World countries so their labor expects the same wages as us. This will make companies cease fleeing our country for cheaper labor.

Or

2. Levy some protectionism taxes.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by White Locust

The primary goal of Wal-Mart is to maximize the returns for their shareholders. They do this by increasing sales and decreasing expenses. I learned this in business school.

But my mom taught me a much more powerful lesson. Do not adopt a defeatist attitude.

The issue is, what will you do when your employer does the same?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
If the republicans keep putting people like Mitch McConnell in office expect business as usual and the decline of the republican party. Either that or they better really start sucking up to the latin vote and start studying how they can court them.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I see a lot of Americans working for Wal-Mart

I don't like Wal-Mart at all..would never work there or shop there...we showed the videos of Wal-Mart people...let them have it. With that said Wal-Mart fills 2 million jobs world wide...drop in the bucket...I would get skills that are above Wal-Mart and never look back.

BTW I made sure my skills were not able to go overseas to that was actually part of my life plan to not have a skill that would be competed by some guy in India..silly me....

You're still not getting what is happening...you continue talking of getting more skills.

Lets dissect this: So you get more skills at the cost of going to school. In return you expect to be rewarded with a job that pays pretty well. In the past that was how it worked. Now, you go to school, incur that debt, enter the job market and employers are telling you they only want to pay you $10 per hour for your skills. Your skills which 10 years ago assured you $50 per hour.

You tell them screw them, and they say SCREW you! They CAN find someone who will do that job you qualify for and only pay them $10 per hour! So here you are unemployed AND with additional debt!

I can't imagine what job skills you have that can't be outsourced. Give it time and it will....

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

America is ####ed!!!!!

We have two options to save us:

1. Raise the standard of living in Third World countries so their labor expects the same wages as us. This will make companies cease fleeing our country for cheaper labor.

Or

2. Levy some protectionism taxes.

With my job a small mistake could cost a few million, so if my company wanted to risk it I guess they could undercut and gamble...don't think it would happen.

I have no problem with taxes levied to prevent the practice of bringing in cheap workers and the 3rd world will progress, China will be in a world of # in the next 10 years or less. Nothing like 800 million wanting to make more than 30 bucks per month.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

You might say people are not forced to work for Walmart but since they put American Manufacturing out of business - jobs are gone ans yes they are forced to work in the only place in town.

WalMart is a retail store, not a manufacturer. They didn't put anyone out of business in the manufacturing sector. They also didn't put anyone out of business in retail. The consumers did by choosing WalMart over Retailer X.

Other than that, it's her money and she can do with it what she pleases with it.

/TOA

What about the drunk charges?
...the person she killed...?

edit on 7-1-2013 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join