It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why America is Severely Broken - Meet Alice Walton

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

They have done nothing illegal..

This all does nothing to quite the claim that american capitalism is a disease. When pieces of human trash can make millions... you know your economic system is flawed and your society is doomed.

So we need to fix it.. and the government is the only thing we have. So if rich dont like the governement taxing the %&*$ out of them and capping their profits, then stop being such psychopaths.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sconner755

Capitalism leads to fascism. Few businesses running the whole economy.
Whether it be government telling the businesses what to do or vice versa,
it is still fascist in essence.

Protectionism, a corporate constitution that prevents anyone from monopolizing the market,
free entry, zero interest government business loans and subsidies for start up businesses,
this is what a free market looks like.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx2112
reply to post by newcovenant

The numbers don't fit. The number of walmart employees and the billions you talk about dont add up. Their billions come from their customers. They save very well by cutting corners. And if you are willing to work for me for minimum wage, then its all your choice.... Or create a product so you can put it on their shelves... I do agree they wield a big stick, but people you are so much in control you don't realize it. Stop entering walmart stores. Read up on similar stores that have a better employee/employer relationship if that is your premise.. It really is that simple..

Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more. Step up to *your* own individual plate and swing away.
edit on 6-1-2013 by syrinx2112 because: (no reason given)

How is someone to stop shopping at Walmart when Walmart has sent every other competitor in the neighborhood bankrupt?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
i think corporations should work to pass laws to institute slavery...that would be the cheapest. if everyone worked for just what it would take to feed, clothe, and shelter the workers at corporations, then think of the jobs created...everyone would have a job, the corporation could hand out food ,clothing, and provide shelter at a minimal cost and everyone would be able to survive.
edit on 7-1-2013 by jimmyx because: changes

edit on 7-1-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

Cloud Atlas style?
Naaah, thanks, I'll pass.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

How to stop shopping at walmart? Easy, it's called protectionism.
Suddenly the cheap Chinese crap costs the same as American manufacturing.
Get the gist?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Radekus
reply to post by DZAG Wright

How to stop shopping at walmart? Easy, it's called protectionism.
Suddenly the cheap Chinese crap costs the same as American manufacturing.
Get the gist?

Exactly, but no politician will begin the process.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nina2010

Stop whining. Walmart learned how to dick people over and others failed. Now this woman can sit on her money and do what all the welfare people do. sit on their butts while the rest of us work.

Yep...people like this are who killed this country!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

When you make a post condemning the bankers and politicians that are the true causes of our economic misery, then maybe I will start to care about what you have to say about a private citizen that NEVER defrauded, nor BLATANTLY AND ILLEGALLY stole from the American people.

Until then, go spew your nonsense about wanting the government to forcefully STEAL more money from private citizens elsewhere. You're just as greedy as the people you blame.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It's a little disturbing thinking about the vast wealth of some individuals. I can't think of an answer to it though. A wealth cap would be insane and unworkable as well as being open to corruption like the current model. I'm sure if the finances of these people were scrutinized it would show that most give fairly generously to charities and needy causes, but they're still stinking rich. Rich beyond comprehension. I'm not sure a second, third or fourth let alone 40th, 50th or 60th billion $ would really make a difference to their quality of life after the first billion but greed is a major motivation in wanting more.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Have you considered this idea....

You could kill Alice Walton and divide her 21 billion dollars equally among the 6 billion people of Earth. Everybody would get $3.50 and the world would be a happy fantasy land for all Communist vegetarians, devout Christians and street thugs equally.

There. That does it. Everything is exactly as you dream it.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
What on Earth? She looks so unhappy in that photo. you think that all of these rich people have it all and yet they are suffering too.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I hate it when I come across these types of threads and I get the "capitalism is bad" argument thrown around. First off, it isn't "capitalism", you are looking at cronyism - secondly, if you hate the practices of Walmart, DON'T SHOP THERE.

America is broken because people have grown lazy and instead of doing something themselves, they look for big brother to do it for them. (and don't bitch about the wage of Walmart, it is a entry level position so you shouldn't be expecting decent wages)

-----------------------------

I see some "why does she need 21 billion" getting thrown out there. So what, should there be a cap at what you should be able to earn and the rest gets spread around.
edit on 7-1-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I worked at Walmart in High School.
I understood then that this was NOT a place to work for a living.
I was treated well, i worked hard for little pay and benefits but i was in High School.
I used that as a platform to push me towards college.
While in College i continued to work at Walmart.
Now, i have graduated, i have "grown up" and have a real job that pays real wages.
I didnt choose to sit back and whine and complain that the owner had more than me.
So sorry, I feel no pity for people who stay in dead end jobs and refuse to try to better themselves.
We all had and have choices, deal with the consequences of your own decisions.
Walmart provides jobs for people who would otherwise be homeless because they dont require any skill sets from you and they provide cheap products to a nation who wants their stuff at low cost.
Dont like it? Dont shop there.
God Bless America and our Freedom of choice.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Since she didn't actually make that money should we beat her up and take it so we can pass it to the poor? BTW most that work at Wal-Mart like that company very much . We can split it with 100 million families and send each family 2100 dollars, boy that will fix it all.

I was thinking about charging her more for her drinking habits to get money out of her. Charge her by the milliliter, offer rare and collectible drinks.

Why hasn't she bought a private island by now, and a chauffeur? She could buy herself an alcohol recovery clinic with her name on it. A chain of them. Or go off the deep end and go the way of the liquor, be the black sheep, have little stores next to every one of the big blue stores, defy the morality of the business.

By the way, the rich will usually say, it's not actual cash, it's stocks. There is no actual money unless they sell the stocks. They are run around by their family office managers, It's insane to be so rich and still manage to get into trouble. As though they can drink themselves into a better world.

Having any job is better than none, and misery loves company so there are plenty of overworked underpaid people at WhaleMart who are happy they aren't the only ones at the job. Jobs bring dependency on them. People just got used to them.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
Nice small minded propaganda, but no dice. The US came to its economic prominence and bounty while plenty of Industrialists were extremely rich and tax revenue was minimal for all. America is severely broken because the centrally controlled education system and corporate controlled media pedal these class warfare fantasies.

Also because a massive decrease in standards of acceptability, much less excellence, has created a mindless, easily manipulated generation which is convinced it is entitled to things it did not earn.

The mindless herd has accepted the fact that it will have no freedom as long as it is given table scraps by a tyrannical federal government, presumably protected by it but actually controlled and brutalized (for your own good). This is to be funded by the last of the actual earners and through massive unsustainable debt. What happens when everyone is a dependent as the middle class disappears to this idiocy? Or the debt comes due (as in Europe)?Guess we'll find out!

Why America is broken?
Dependence is celebrated over self reliance.
Central control by elites is celebrated over local control by citizens ("The people" is a fantasy term created to make the small minded celebrate their own slavery).
Unearned Entitlement is celebrated over hard work and success
Blaming big bad rich people or a meanie society is celebrated over personal responsibility.

It has nothing to do with Wal-Mart.

Dependence is nurtured in America; so therefore you have a society that depends on the rest of society. That is the society America chose for its self. America chose for people to know only their job and rely on everyone else for everything else.

Money controls you because you have allowed it too. You guys were too busy wrapped up in your apple ipod/phones/technology to notice when money pushed through new legislation and removed old regulation; this of course is a symptom of the very nurtured dependency issue. The small minded celebrate their own slavery because every day they're loaded up with pro-American sentiment by your own #ing people.

Unearned entitlement is not celebrated by any one in America. Hard work and success is celebrated; the rest of you are the dumb #s who are still narcissistic even when they've done absolutely nothing. Big bad rich people are only doing the rational thing; paying others to do jobs, like lobbying, lord knows they can't #ing do it themselves.

It has everything to do with corporations like wal-mart. It has everything to do with your own insecurities, desires and the pursuit of happiness. It has everything to do with rationality; America is encased in their own farts. Seriously, women think they didn't have the right to work or something, I find that #ing hilarious.. Like for some reason women were left out? NO! Women didn't work because they didn't have to. Who the # wants to piss their lives away on some #ty job?

I'm amazed by my fellow University students; even when studying sociology they all put their hands up like good little drones when it comes to reality. My sociology teacher asked the lecture theater what they personally thought about work; and literally every one who answered said something about personal growth or wealth. I couldn't help but sit there and laugh the whole time, while my sociology teacher grew increasingly frustrated that none of them were willing to be honest and say that work is a pile of dog #. People actually believe that working is good for them on some level.

Maybe it is, but I've never walked away from a job thinking BOY I SURE DID LEARN A LOT I AM GLAD THAT MY PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT HAS BEEN MIXED WITH THIS SOUL SUCKING LABOUR.
edit on 7-1-2013 by thoughtfuldeliquent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by saturnsrings

It is not about paying more because you can it is about paying what the job is worth. Prices can be lowered too, or any number to thing can be done, but it is about managing your systems and payroll is one of them. Can you name a single company that pays more just because they can? Show me a company that pays their cashiers 20 bucks an hour because they want to help their fellow man.

If you feel pay scales are too low then lobby congress to raise min wage, but let me ask you a question...

A cashier in 1960 made about min wage, today a cashier for Wal -Mart starts a little over min wage, min wage has doubled evenly with inflation, so why should Wal-Mart pay more when even back in the 1960s they didn't pay more. I'm sure we could go back farther and it would still prove my point.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

The beauty of our country is that we have in theory limitless opportunity. Don't be jealous of them. Yes their wealth is astonishing. But unless they committed and are convicted of crimes to get that money, it is THEIRS. They will have to pay a hefty estate tax (40% over $5,000,000 will have to be paid to the Treasury department when they die. That is around $12,000,000,000 (BILLION) that will be paid to help with those food stamps you were bitching about. Which by the way is from income that was already taxed in the year she (or her husband ) earned it.

So now, I ask you. How much money have you paid to the US that was taxed TWICE?
edit on 7-1-2013 by White Locust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by White Locust

It doesn't matter if I didn't pay anything in taxes. The evil rich are evil........... and rich. I thought everyone knew that.

My favorite excuse is the the poor pay their share of taxes through "sales tax" as if the rich don't pay even more "sales tax" than the lower classes.

The entire premise of the arguement is people want a share of other peoples money.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
I hate it when I come across these types of threads and I get the "capitalism is bad" argument thrown around. First off, it isn't "capitalism", you are looking at cronyism - secondly, if you hate the practices of Walmart, DON'T SHOP THERE.

America is broken because people have grown lazy and instead of doing something themselves, they look for big brother to do it for them. (and don't bitch about the wage of Walmart, it is a entry level position so you shouldn't be expecting decent wages)

-----------------------------

I see some "why does she need 21 billion" getting thrown out there. So what, should there be a cap at what you should be able to earn and the rest gets spread around.
edit on 7-1-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

Have you not been paying attention? The system is being rigged more and more everyday to where we will all be stuck in entry level jobs forever!

In the name of capitalism...we the U.S. have lost! Our labor can't compete with third world countries. People such as yourself just haven't been affected yet so you can't see it.

Because the economy has gone worldwide, it is better in the name of Capitalism to have your labor performed in China or India. That's it, game over!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

I have great news. We CAN have a piece of Wal-Mart. You can buy their stock as it is publicly traded.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join