It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why America is Severely Broken - Meet Alice Walton

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Calling other posters morons because they disagree with your opinion, defiantly falls into that heinous category of 'emotionally charged'.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
dont forget the tax breaks and incentives. they save billions just in that alone and we pay for it. so basically even if you dont shop at walmart. you do .YAY amerika. oh and since they dont pay them %^&* you get to pay for their healthcare and food too. YAY amerika

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

According to several morons here it's your obligation to not only pay them a "living wage" (some arbitrary, emotionally charged do-nothing term), but to not take home any pay yourself for the privilege of being allowed to run a business in Utopia.

/TOA

You can take money home, but not too much. no no no...

Has anyone heard of climbing the career ladder? If a person gets hired at Wal-Mart as a cashier and 20 years later they are still a cashier is it Wal-Marts responsibility to provide them a life wage now that they pump out 3 kids also along the way? THEY ARE STILL A CASHIER!

People still do not understand that the vast majority of workers in the US work for small businesses, not big ones... Also isn't the concept of a ditch digger and a doctor that earn the same life wage communism?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ABNARTY

Calling other posters morons because they disagree with your opinion, defiantly falls into that heinous category of 'emotionally charged'.

I didn't call anyone a moron because they disagree with my opinion. I called people morons for believing that anyone other than themselves is responsible for them. No business is responsible for giving anyone some arbitrary living wage.

But, you're correct. Calling names doesn't solve anything, and it was childish. I hereby take back my moron comment.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
i'm still trying to figure out HOW she can be considered a "job creator"

i'd bet that woman has not created one single American job in her lifetime.

Ms Walton is not WalMart Inc.
Walmart creates some lousy jobs, not Ms Walton
heck, Ms Walton probably hasn't spent more than an hour in any HR dept ever.

when ppl decide that they are capable and willing to be their own providers, then lousy WalMart jobs won't be so valuable anymore.

yes, WalMart has engaged in coercion, intimidation and generally under-handed tactics to maneuver themselves into the 'factory' that they are ... what ppl need to remember is WalMart DOES NOT PRODUCE anything.
WalMart does not manufacture anything.
WalMart doesn't even provide 'skilled' education options for those who might be interested.
WalMart is and has been sucking the life out of this entire country for a few decades now.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

2) People continue applying for crappy jobs there.

So, keep on whining about the big bad wolf, guys. But until you come up with a plan and do something because it's time to stop and enough is enough, they aren't going anywhere and they're not required to hire anyone for any kind of wage except minimum.

/TOA

The reason those jobs are crappy is because it takes a person a whole week to be an expert...i.e. they are all low skill jobs and it seems people want those, but then bitch that the pay sucks....go figure.

Where I work there are about 80 engineers and 500 other highly skilled workers and all of us get paid well. We would like to get paid more, and many still bitch they should but everyone of us would be in the top 10% wage earner.

We get paid well because there isn't 5 million experienced engineers, pilots, technicians able to apply for these jobs and it takes a year to train many even with their background experiences.

A job will pay what it is worth.....

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Sam Walton is one of the worst Americans to ever live.... I think him and his whole family are nothing but a bunch of ###suckers who take advantage of hardworking desperate people. They are some of the lowest scum we have on this Earth. Just greedy greedy people... I hope they enjoy spending all that money in hell one day...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I think America is broken because people sit around and worry & complain about people with money instead of bettering themselves so they can also rise to the top.....or at least higher than they are.

Complaining about what somebody else has or has done is irrelevant.

Like my mother always said: Don't worry about _______ , worry about yourself!

It's worked for me pretty good for 47 years. I don't have 21 Billion dollars but I do well and am happy with my life.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Wow! Clarification and a retraction. Very refreshing for ATS. My humble apologies and respect.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Not sure if this was already posted but...

Fact: Walmart is a Job Killer

Walmart store openings destroy almost three local jobs for every two they create by reducing retail employment by an average of 2.7 percent in every county they enter.

Walmart cost America an estimated 196,000 jobs – mainly manufacturing jobs – between 2001 and 2006 as a result of the company’s imports from China.

Fact: Walmart Jobs Are Poverty Jobs

Walmart workers average just $8.81 hour. This translates to annual pay of $15,576, based upon Walmart’s full-time status of 34 hours per week. This is less than 70% of the poverty line for a family of four

Walmart pays less than other retail firms. A 2005 study found that Walmart workers earn an estimated 12.4% less than retail workers as a whole, and 14.5% less than workers in large retail in general. A 2007 study which compared Wal-mart to other general merchandising employers found a wage gap of 17.4%

Fact: Taxpayers Are Paying the Price for Walmart

Despite all the damage they have done to US workers and communities, a 2007 study found that, as of that date, Walmart had received more than $1.2 billion in tax breaks, free land, infrastructure assistance, low-cost financing and outright grants from state and local governments around the country. This number has surely increased as Walmart continues to receive additional subsidies.

Taxpayers Subsidize Walmart’s Low Wages and Poor Benefits – In many states across the country, Walmart is the employer with the largest number of employees and dependents using taxpayer-funded health insurance programs

Source- walmart1percent.org...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty

The blog quoted many sources.I guess you have a research deficiency.I can tell because you failed to finish.Or you would have mentioned Snapper.They saw what was comming and walmarts pressure to make a cheaper more throw away lawnmower.So people would come back year after year to buy" cheap" inferior product.

I also noticed you can't see your own errors.Remember your comment about the limited shift caca.Well I responded with a answer,by your comment it was obvious you had no idea what I was talking about (back to
your research deficiency?) no you just threw out a insult.

You seem like a person who just takes a stance with no real idea of the subject.Are you mean and lonely
and just want to argue?

No deficiency at all. I answered the question you asked. If you wanted me to answer another one, you should have asked it and I would have been glad to. But I'm not clairvoyant.

As to Snapper, Wier gave himself another outlet other than WalMart. He's what's called a "smart, responsible businessperson".

He actually had foresight, knowing that in a few years WalMart would have him in their snare. He decided to take his business and run.

Wier had two things going for him: First, he had another way to get his lawn mowers to customers--a well-established network of independent lawn-equipment dealers that accounted for 80% of Snapper's sales. And Wier had the courage, the foresight, to take an unblinking view of where his Wal-Mart business was heading--not in year 3, or year 4, but year 10.

All of this arguing back forth doesn't change the fact that WalMart sells billions of dollars a year of what consumers want. Again, if they didn't want it, WalMart would be out of business. Yet you blame WalMart for "running other businesses out town" and harumphing about it! RAWR! All it takes is people not going to WalMart but going somewhere else.

I'd be ecstatic to see WalMart shut down and numerous small businesses take over. Better many small, homey stores than one big, faceless cold entity. But that's never going to happen because of two reasons:

1) People buy what they sell and,
2) People continue applying for crappy jobs there.

So, keep on whining about the big bad wolf, guys. But until you come up with a plan and do something because it's time to stop and enough is enough, they aren't going anywhere and they're not required to hire anyone for any kind of wage except minimum.

/TOA

What a hipocrite you are.I took the time to read your signature and view you photos.You want to pretend you idolize our founding fathers .Who stood against tyranny and oppression.Well tyranny and oppression can come in many forms be it state or coroprate.The people in power can step on others I guess it is ok by you in the coroprate world.Tell me about the profit sharing plan in walmart?Many fortune 500 companies share the wealth and have genuine concern for their employees.They don't cut hours to dodge healthcare.Who do you think is
going to foot that bill? Us

So toot your own horn your hipocrisy shows.According to other members you always just want to be the antagonist.So my earlier guess was probably right.You just want to argue, the subject matter is worthless.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~
dont forget the tax breaks and incentives. they save billions just in that alone and we pay for it. so basically even if you dont shop at walmart. you do .YAY amerika. oh and since they dont pay them %^&* you get to pay for their healthcare and food too. YAY amerika

You can tax Alice Walton's entire $21 billion at 100% tax rate.

That would run the government for 2 days.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sconner755

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~

You can tax Alice Walton's entire $21 billion at 100% tax rate.

That would run the government for 2 days.

I would be all for sending her to the poor house with the rest of her workers.. Karma

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ABNARTY

Wow! Clarification and a retraction. Very refreshing for ATS. My humble apologies and respect.

Eh, no apologies necessary.

I was being a jerk. I can also be an adult admit when I'm wrong. When you get to be my age pride doesn't seem matter much anymore.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sconner755

i have no problem with people making extreme amounts of money. but when its through peoples taxes and they are screwing their own workers and thus us in the end and the combined net worth is over 100 billion, i say tax the whole f ing family 100%

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
What a hipocrite you are.I took the time to read your signature and view you photos.You want to pretend you idolize our founding fathers .Who stood against tyranny and oppression.Well tyranny and oppression can come in many forms be it state or coroprate.The people in power can step on others I guess it is ok by you in the coroprate world.Tell me about the profit sharing plan in walmart?Many fortune 500 companies share the wealth and have genuine concern for their employees.They don't cut hours to dodge healthcare.Who do you think is
going to foot that bill? Us

So toot your own horn your hipocrisy shows.According to other members you always just want to be the antagonist.So my earlier guess was probably right.You just want to argue, the subject matter is worthless.

I'm a hypocrite for knowing how economics and the business cycle works? That pretty special even for ATS. You're laboring under the false premise that I support WalMart's business model. I don't know how many times I have to say that I don't support them before it sinks in, but here's the last one.

I don't know about their profit-sharing plan, and I don't really care. I've never worked for a company that had one, so it's a non-story for me. Why do you ask? You keep bringing up things like that as if it was just discussed, then expecting me to answer a question never asked.

And, yes, most companies do care about their employees and many of them go the extra mile to take care of them, cutting into their own profits or even paychecks in the process. It's very noble, but they don't do it because they have to, they do it because they want to. A business that doesn't do it is no more or less evil than those others are good. It is just a business.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
These are facts I find disturbing

Disturbing only??

I find them enraging enough to start a revolution over!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

I would be all for sending her to the poor house with the rest of her workers.. Karma

I say burn the witch!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
You don't think Walmart buying 75% of their merchandise from China over the USA didn't put AMERICAN MANUFACTURERS OUT OF BUSINESS??? Guess again.

"Her money" is ill gotten gains acquired by illegally coercing American politics and politicians into a country sabotaging conspiracy to make one family rich at the expense of the rest of us.
edit on 6-1-2013 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

this is exactly the problem.. everyone i know talk out of both sides of their mouths.. they talk about saving the community owned and operated "retailer x" while tweeting from the 10 items or less line at their local walmart store.

it sucks but it's because of the economy, no one will spend 20 dollars if they can get the same item for 10 dollars, anyone with a family knows this.. you can't fight evil while having people who depend on you and people will ALWAYS take advantage of that situation.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
reply to post by newcovenant

I think America is broken because people sit around and worry & complain about people with money instead of bettering themselves so they can also rise to the top.....or at least higher than they are.

Complaining about what somebody else has or has done is irrelevant.

Like my mother always said: Don't worry about _______ , worry about yourself!

It's worked for me pretty good for 47 years. I don't have 21 Billion dollars but I do well and am happy with my life.

I agree that in the end taking care of yourself is what really matters; but the problem with that mentality is that it is the mentality that got us here.

# it, why should I care about any one else?
I'll just watch TV.

Next thing you know lobbyists working for other peoples livelihoods are helping remove regulations from legislation to enable the pillaging of the people.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join