It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why America is Severely Broken - Meet Alice Walton

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+98 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

stfuhypocrisy.tumblr.com...

Why America is Severely Broken

This is Alice Walton

Alice Walton is worth $21 billion dollars while almost half the employees at her family's Walmart Stores are eligible for Food Stamps.

American Tax Payers are expected to make up what she would have paid in taxes because she's a "Job Creator."

American Tax Payers are also expected to pay for her Employees Food Stamps because the jobs she creates won't pay enough to get by.

Is it really so much to ask the "Job Creators" in the USA to try and get by on a few billion less so that American Taxpayers don't have to foot the bill for their Employee's Food Stamps?

"Walmart's owners net worth greater than bottom 40% of the entire U.S. population. Six members of the Walton family appear on the Forbes 400 list of the wealthiest Americans. Christy Walton, widow of the late John Walton, leads the clan at No. 6 with a net worth of $25.3 billion as of March 2012. She is also the richest woman in the world for the seventh year in a row, according to Forbes.
Here are the other five: No. 9: Jim Walton, $23.7 billion No. 10: Alice Walton, $23.3 billion No. 11: S. Robson Walton, oldest son of Sam Walton, $23.1 billion No. 103: Ann Walton Kroenke, $3.9 billion No. 139: Nancy Walton Laurie, $3.4 billion That’s a grand total of $102.7 billion for the whole family ... the wealth held by the six Walton's was equal to that of the bottom 30.5 percent of families in the U.S. In 2010, the Waltons’ share equaled the entire bottom 41.5 percent of families."

These are facts I find disturbing and for all the talk of a New World Order we have to fear, this is the misguided direction it appears we are heading. I find it shocking so many people stand up for the Walton's as if this is simple American ingenuity at work when it is little more than a Nation killing policy and a sort of piracy. It devalues human life and labor. I don't think we can make Walmart go away but we can make them re-place the security people had before Walmart stole their old job in the mom and pop and forced them to go and work for them. Decent wages and benefits that mean something to a growing family. Is that so much to ask from a "Job Creator?"

You might say people are not forced to work for Walmart but since they put American Manufacturing out of business - jobs are gone ans yes they are forced to work in the only place in town. That IS what this world is coming to, a very bad science fiction reality along the lines of. In Time

Honorable politicians with integrity and foresight like Bernie Sanders do notice. When they cry foul they are out shouted and discredited as alarmists threatening free market capitalism by the very folks who stand to gain the most by buying their products from China.

They try to threaten that Bernie's ideas are some kind of a road to Communism. Meanwhile we are buying most things from those Communist countries. If we denounce them so soundly - why does America do it's shopping there?

Now I know that many people will fault the Food Stamp Program itself but when you consider the cost of living and price of food today, families are finding it IMPOSSIBLE by any means to survive on a few thousand dollars a month. No way can a family pay for bills and food not to mention health care on a Walmart salary.

This is not "creating jobs" but creating dependents on government programs and society, while getting rich in the process. There are innocent children who suffer the most due to matters we discuss as if they are fine lines of politics and ideological differences. To more kids than you would care to realize it is much more than an ideological split. It is real hunger in pit of a stomach that never gets satisfied with empty Walmart calories. They sell items that cost but do not deliver on a promise to be "food" or "nourishment." Just another misleading product fooling consumers so someone can get rich.

What do you think?

As an aside, Alice Walton has been caught drunk driving 3X and has even killed someone. This was brushed over in the local newspapers and it is in fact hard to find the whole story. The mugshot above is from a more recent DUI arrest in Texas. How many of the rest of us could be walking around free with 3 DUI arrests and a death? There are 2 America's.
Alice Walker arrested for DUI in Texas
Alice Walker convicted of DUI in Arkansas

It wasn't lost on many observers that the Benton County (Arkansas) Daily Record shares the same hometown as Wal-Mart Stores Inc., whose founder, Sam Walton, was Alice Walton's father. Also, her brother, Jim Walton, owns 92.64 percent of Community Publishers Inc., which controls the paper

Walton has been involved in at least three automobile accidents.

1. During a 1983 Thanksgiving family reunion near Acapulco, Mexico, Walton lost control of a rented Jeep and plunged into a ravine...

2. In an April 1989 incident, she struck and killed 50-year-old Oleta Hardin, who had stepped into a road.

No charges were filed.

3. In a 1998 incident, she is reported to have hit a gas meter while driving under the influence.

She paid a $925 fine and served no jail time.en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 6-1-2013 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

You might say people are not forced to work for Walmart but since they put American Manufacturing out of business - jobs are gone ans yes they are forced to work in the only place in town.

WalMart is a retail store, not a manufacturer. They didn't put anyone out of business in the manufacturing sector. They also didn't put anyone out of business in retail. The consumers did by choosing WalMart over Retailer X.

Other than that, it's her money and she can do with it what she pleases with it.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Since she didn't actually make that money should we beat her up and take it so we can pass it to the poor? BTW most that work at Wal-Mart like that company very much . We can split it with 100 million families and send each family 2100 dollars, boy that will fix it all.

+66 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

You might say people are not forced to work for Walmart but since they put American Manufacturing out of business - jobs are gone ans yes they are forced to work in the only place in town.

WalMart is a retail store, not a manufacturer. They didn't put anyone out of business in the manufacturing sector. They also didn't put anyone out of business in retail. The consumers did by choosing WalMart over Retailer X.

Other than that, it's her money and she can do with it what she pleases with it.

/TOA

Are you kidding?

You don't think Walmart buying 75% of their merchandise from China over the USA didn't put AMERICAN MANUFACTURERS OUT OF BUSINESS??? Guess again.

"Her money" is ill gotten gains acquired by illegally coercing American politics and politicians into a country sabotaging conspiracy to make one family rich at the expense of the rest of us.

+26 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

/TOA

Walmart was a key player in shutting down American Manufacturing because they stopped buying goods made in America because they wanted to buy the cheaper made in China goods to increase their profit.
Thats how it works

Edit: Ah, covenant beat me to it
edit on 1/6/2013 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

/TOA

Are you kidding?

You don't think Walmart buying 75% of their merchandise from China over the USA didn't put AMERICAN MANUFACTURERS OUT OF BUSINESS??? Guess again.

"Her money" is ill gotten gains acquired by illegally coercing American politics and politicians into a country sabotaging conspiracy to make one family rich at the expense of the rest of us.

To your first point, no I'm not kidding. If they buy their merchandise from China, it's because that merchandise is what American consumers want to buy. If consumers didn't want any of it, WalMart would be out of business.

As to your second, I would love to see their illegal acts posted here, or maybe a link to them. Show them to me, and I'll shout out this thread to everyone I know, make 10 different accounts to star and flag it, etc.

I patiently await aforementioned illegal acts in black and white.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
It is easy to see the inequality in America. It is another thing altogether to point at one thing to blame. It gets extremely complicated. Walmart prospered because it sold goods cheaper. It really is as simple as that. America wants cheaper. Walmart delivers. If they bought only American made products to resell they would be out of business in no time. America chose the course, Walmart just capitalized on it. You can only blame it on human nature to always go for the best deal for their money. If i had a few billion dollars i would be out and about using it to help others though. Maybe she does good things with her money. Who knows? I can't judge her because i don't know her personally. She might be giving away hundreds of millions of dollars anonymously. That is the most sincere way of giving afterall. The good deeds the wealthy do that get media coverage is suspect IMO.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Since she didn't actually make that money should we beat her up and take it so we can pass it to the poor? BTW most that work at Wal-Mart like that company very much . We can split it with 100 million families and send each family 2100 dollars, boy that will fix it all.

How about fixing our democracy so this doesn't happen? Wouldn't a little foresight have been good in this case and saved our country and our middle class? If we knew the price it would exact - I wonder if we would have let Walmart invade our towns and close our factories?

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

What terrible logic.
Consumers want heroin too, but that doesn't mean we are going to make it easy to get.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

/TOA

Are you kidding?

To your first point, no I'm not kidding. If they buy their merchandise from China, it's because that merchandise is what American consumers want to buy. If consumers didn't want any of it, WalMart would be out of business.

As to your second, I would love to see their illegal acts posted here, or maybe a link to them. Show them to me, and I'll shout out this thread to everyone I know, make 10 different accounts to star and flag it, etc.

I patiently await aforementioned illegal acts in black and white.

/TOA

Start shouting.....this is the first thing I found after looking for a second. There are more...

Vast Mexico Bribery Case Hushed Up by Wal-Mart After Top-Level Struggle

Wal-Mart de Mexico had orchestrated a campaign of bribery to win market dominance. In its rush to build stores, he said, the company had paid bribes to obtain permits in virtually every corner of the country.

Using sweatshops and prison labor.

Walmart has been criticized for not providing adequate supervision of its foreign suppliers. It has also been criticized for using sweatshops and prison labor. For example, in 1995, Chinese dissident Harry Wu charged that Walmart was contracting prison labor in Guangdong Province

There have also been reports of teenagers in Bangladesh working in sweatshops 80 hours per week at $0.14 per hour, for Walmart supplier Beximco.

The documentary film Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price shows images of factories that produce goods for Walmart that appear in poor condition, and factory workers subject to abuse and conditions the documentary producers consider inhumane.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I completely agree with you on this topic, but I feel the answer to this question here is that yes, even if they knew what would happen to our economy, I truly believe they would've let this happen anyway. Why? Profit. Who cares who or what suffers, when profit is involved. Gotta love capitalism.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

If a person wants X dollars, and the US government pays that person 1/3 of X for having a pulse, an employer only needs to offer 2/3 X to get that person to come to work. It's not the employer's fault.

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Tell that to rubbermaid.They kicked their door in and used muscle , here's the link in black and white.

www.sprawl-busters.com...

edit on 6-1-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
after watching the black friday videos , there is no chance for a boycott of these major retailers to work. these sheeple think they are getting more bang for their buck. another down fall of these major import retailers is the antiques trade. i cant think of anything created in the last 50 years that will be worth anything in the future. goodbye antiques road show. how much will a chinese piece of crap that was bought for 99 cents be worth in 50 years? its pretty amazing how the effects of a worthless piece of paper with an artificial value placed on it can ruin a country.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

How about fixing our democracy so this doesn't happen? Wouldn't a little foresight have been good in this case and saved our country and our middle class? If we knew the price it would exact - I wonder if we would have let Walmart invade our towns and close our factories?

Here in Washington state min wage has always been higher than federal requirements, and has progressed with inflation quite well. Inflation basically doubles every 15 to 20 years so let's look at how minimum wage has followed that.

1961 $1.15
1976 $2.30
1990 $4.25
2009 $8.55
2013 $9.19

Today, off the street worker for Wal-Mart will start at higher than minimum wage...for a job that take zero skills to do. Now that Wal-Mart employs 2.3 million how is it they are screwing America over when the pay scale has basically been linear for the past 50 plus years?

Her 21 billion is not money that she has scraped off the top that should have gone to the employees in some scrooge like fashion. It is the value of the stock she owns in the company. That stock value is what people, like you and me, are willing to pay for it.

Income and stock value are apple and oranges....

I keep hearing people suggest minimum wage should be 20 bucks an hour and I fail to see the reason why, a reason that suggests we have lagged with inflation.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Necrobile
Why? Profit. Who cares who or what suffers, when profit is involved. Gotta love capitalism.

What happens to a company that doesn't make profit? It's not like they can carry a 16 trillion dollar deficit like our government can....

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

You are in disagreement with the thread and a fan of Miss Alice. I get it.
I don't necessarily agree with you and no amount of persuading is going to get me on board.
There are a whole lot of credible people who back me up on this.

We all admit THERE IS A PROBLEM with our shrinking middle class, (China's growth and increasing middle class) and I think this is a huge part of it. .

I personally think that if you and your empire whole heartedly, conscientiously and knowingly, intentionally support communist countries, you should also live in them.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
People that work at Walmart were looking for a job when they found that one. They can move along and find another if they don't care for the terms and conditions that job is offered under. If ENOUGH people 'move on' and Walmart is left with a worker shortage, then wages and benefits will rise to entice the workers needed to fill the positions. It's that simple and how the free market works from the mom and pop corner store to Disney's vast holdings to Walmart.

Sorry.. I have absolutely no sympathy for folks who took the job, accepted the terms gladly enough when they came from unemployment and NO paycheck to get it, then figure they suddenly have the ability to FORCE the employer who could as easily have left them in unemployment to start with ...to somehow bend to their will. It's an example of the hubris of the average person these days, IMO. If Walmart's labor practices suck but are NOT illegal by the laws of our nation? Then don't work there...and hope enough agree to change it by market forces.

One company I drove for was Cannon Express in the 90's. A full 50% of their freight was Walmart and I was there for a few years. That put me into almost every Walmart distribution center but Juneau, Alaska (and I tried SO hard..just ONCE...but it never happened for me
). The thing I DO hate about Walmart is what I saw by driving in and out of their D.C.'s for so long.

Walmart locates their infrastructure, like DC's, as far into the sticks and rural areas as they can manage and still be logical for the purpose. They do that to FORCE cheap labor, since out there? Well..just moving along to another job doesn't work when there aren't any 30 miles from nowhere. So the back end of their operation and the inside baseball of how that corporation functions? yeah.. THAT side sucks...but that's rarely what anyone is whining about needing some cheese with.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

If they buy their merchandise from China, it's because that merchandise is what American consumers want to buy.

BS. All those years "made in China" was on every cheap thing sold here, I hated it. But I had little choice. I had to buy it because there was little else on the shelf. It's what I could afford because the job I used to have in the manufacturing industry here was sold overseas.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Now, see, if you'd led with this instead of "she has money and won't give it to people" then then there wouldn't have been an argument. Lots of corruption going on there, both with WalMart and the Mexican government.

Thanks for posting that. S&F as promised.

/TOA

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join