It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Superstitious? You might want to read this...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3n19m470
reply to post by hadriana

Good call
So how do you plan to protect your DNA in the afterlife? Or will you not care anymore then?

I plan on it being with my family. But then, you remember what happened to all those folks in Georgia, when they got cremated NOT and their families got concrete dust in their urns? And the people just got left to lay around and rot until it was all discovered and then I think their dna ended up in labs so they could be IDed?
Oh yuck.

Talk about superstitious, I bet that's a haunted place.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Congratulations on your thread being chosen for ATS Live.

I'll post the link to the podcast of the ATS Live radio shows, then you can listen at your leisure....have to run and get it...

ETA: Here it is. Click on Show Archives near the top of the page at link. Then on that page, pick the ATS Live show you want to listen to. You'll notice on either side of that page are 2 players. One is for high bandwidth, the other low. Just pick the one you want, click play and enjoy!

www.illustrial.net...

Des
edit on 12-1-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Son, Congrats on ATS live! I'm really enjoying this topic so far and would be really interesting to hear what ATS's take on it - such a shame you're working tonight. I'm going to try and listen in. By the way, I received a pair of lovely leather gloves from my husband for Christmas and came across the following:

5 NEVER GIVE GLOVES AS A PRESENT...

...well, you can, but you must also receive something in return, or you'll both have bad luck.
Gloves are attached to a whole host of superstitions , dating back to Medieval times and the days of chivalry, when Knights wore a lady's glove in their helmets. It's also bad luck to drop a glove, and then pick it up yourself - derived from the custom of a lady dropping a glove in the hope a prospective lover picks it up.

So far, we've both had good luck this year so I'm thinking it has the reverse effect. I would ask for another pair next year!!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Chances are (keeping my fingers crossed - yes, that is a superstition
) that I might just miss the first hour of the show but could be back home for the rest. The hours aren't confirmed yet, will be later on this morning.

I am happy it was selected to be discussed by the crew of ATSLive, not because I authored it (even though it flattens the ego) but because this turned out to be one awesome discussion thread ! Many members have come to share their superstitions or their opinions of it and, for me, that is the real pay out for having taken the time to put it together. Now, finding out if some of the respected crew are superstitious is a bonus !!!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Xistence

That glove superstition is almost the same as another superstition I grew up with and that still holds today: Never give a knife or a set of knives to a friend as a gift as it will cut the friendship. When receiving a knife or knives, one must give a penny back to cancel the bad luck associated with it, as it no longer becomes a gift but a trade.

I've actually done this before. I have given sets of kitchen knives and got pennies in return, I have been given knives and gave pennies in return.

Another great reply, Xistence !!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by horseplay

Very sorry for your loss.

In my younger days, I've been told to not put shoes on the table. Never thought that it was a superstition, I learned this in this thread. I've always thought it was just "good etiquette" as the table is where we eat and should always be clean and shoes represented dirt as we walked around with them.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Ah thank you for looking that up Son! I didnt have time to research into it as I was still in work! Im glad im not the only one though!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

ThanksSonoftheSun for posting a fun and interesting thread. I learned the origin of some of these superstitions.

As for me, I don't find myself superstituous at all. I don't find myself thinking about any of those things unless I'm with someone else who does or something on the telly about it. But fun to know how some of things got started.
S + F

Peace!! ID

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ItDepends

Glad you enjoyed and that you learned a thing or two !

So did I, and I always learn something new when other members share as they've done on this thread. Personally, I think that this is ATS's secret ingredient. We join to search for answers, or to uncover some conspiracies or to find out about cover ups and end up in many different forums that have no point of attachment from our original purpose of joining and then we start learning things. An amazing journey !!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Great thread! Stirred up a lot of old memories.

Had to laugh about the not bathing/brushing teeth after having a baby, might keep the husband away for awhile.

My mom-in-law is Austrian, when I was pregnant she was always warning me about "marking the baby." Lots of things can do it but there are counter measures. She about had a fit when I went to a funeral in my 8th month. I think she had to go to the priest for that one.

My dad told me if you eat onions before bed you'll wake up with holes in your t-shirt. I was fascinated by this one as a kid.

An old southern woman told me how to get rid of plantar warts. I had to chant at the full moon three times while rubbing the warts with a cloth. Afterwards I had to bury the cloth. Within the week they were all gone. They left gross holes that healed over without a scar. It was like they all just fell out. Don't know if it was a placebo but it sure worked and they never came back.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

Nice reply !

My dad told me if you eat onions before bed you'll wake up with holes in your t-shirt. I was fascinated by this one as a kid.

First time I ever hear of that one. I wonder where it comes from...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure my grandma told him.

Our ancestors were the original Mexican/Native American inhabitants of New Mexico/southern Colorado. Maybe it's a western thing.

I imagine most superstitions are about protecting what's important to the people. He is depression era, clothing wasn't easily replaced. Sometimes fantastic/mystical examples will leave a more lasting impression, especially on kids. I know it made me take notice of my t-shirts/clothing more.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

But that's not what the Bible says. You are making up your own theology...

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration

But that's not what the Bible says. You are making up your own theology...

Just like somebody made up your bible....

On topic...I remember another one from my Dear Old Granny. Itchy palm means you are coming into some money....

Des

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
This is why I sort of get annoyed when people talk about things like always looking at a clock at a certain time. It has happened to me before, but I finally realized that there were many times that the time read differently, but people forget those. With superstitions it is sort of the same. If you believe something, you will block out all evidence to the contrary, and will continue to believe, no matter if it makes sense or not.

And then there is the ability of the subconscious mind to influence you in various ways. If you believe something down to your core, even when you are not thinking about it your subconscious probably is, and this can affect your actions and thought processes. Some phenomena that we would deem paranormal involves the same concept. While there are legitimate paranormal experiences and happenings, there are some things that are more related to the person's brain. For instance, I believe that when someone begins to attempt lucid dreaming, meditation, or anything that involves an altered state of consciousness, their subconscious beliefs and fears have a tendency to manifest themselves while the outside layer, or conscious part, of your brain has been tuned out.

I think this may go for what one sees during sleep paralysis as well. I do not know if this is the case, but it is possible. So I think that people need should probably affirm to themselves what they do and do not believe, so that when something manifests from your subconscious you may be able to recognize it as such, instead of believing it to be some external force. It could be external, but how will you know if you do not know what is coming from inside your own mind?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Excellent reply !!

So true, what you mention about our subconscious. A superstition deeply believed could have the same effect for someone as someone who deeply believes in "The Secret", for example. The subconscious feeds the belief.

I've read your reply a few times to fully comprehend what you were saying. And I totally agree !!!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Egyptia

Black cats are amazing little creatures.
Black cats are many we just have to see them....they can say if some names are written in the book of life and some names are not written ...ever!

Because the decision has been taken.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join