It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Superstitious? You might want to read this...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

its not very manly to bat eyelids is it

mary hinge a play on words
change the m to h / h to m what have you got(well not you)

call me phil

PS
i always get itchy palms as i type now they are both itching

its right to receive left to leave i think
edit on 8/1/2013 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

has she mentioned the loaf of bread one?

after opening its unlucky to put it on its side

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

well ive always come to believe a lot of people died on the 13 so it just stuck as a bad day, not really superstitous day..
and some are just common sense things people tell you because they sound scarier than the truth to make you remember better.

walking under a ladder... common sense someone could fall off if you trip on it? or drop something on you.

opening an umbrella inside, thats an easy one to figure out if you have ever got poked with those things at the end, damn near almost went blind to one of those things

dont spank the monkey , youll go blind ect ect

dont tell a lie or you nose will grow.

as far as the mirrors go, i was always told it was bad luck because they were expensive to produce well back in the day

the ones i dont get that are completely useless, like if you spill salt throw over shoulder,, wth someone could go blind doing that!!! j/k but when this was real common i think salt was really expensive. so could have even been started by a trader knowing if he could get it to catch on, people would use more salt and sales would go up... i dunno

nice thread ^^

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Good post enjoyed the read. S & F for you.

Maybe all that happened to me in a previous lives and that's why I have been generally unluky in this life

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

Cool reply !!

Your nan sounds like fun !!!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Egyptia

Yes they are. I always found that black cats are mysterious. All cats are but black ones are special. Mine has these round eyes and I find that she looks like an owl...

I should take a pic sometime, when she has her tongue sticking out with those eyes...gets a laugh out of me every time !!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Listen, Sonofthesun, in order to rid yourself of the bad luck you've conjured you have to touch just your thumb and pinky finger to the monitor and repeat this 7 times:

I am the egg man, wooo
I am the egg man, wooo

I actually did this. For real. My cats think I'm crazy...

Nice seeing you here Jigger !!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

its not very manly to bat eyelids is it

mary hinge a play on words
change the m to h / h to m what have you got(well not you)

call me phil

You're a guy ????

Forget I ever said that.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

The Horseshoe superstition came from the Omega sign similarities I assume. I wonder if the sign the jews hung over their door may have been the Omega sign. There is also an Omega like pattern in the brain of artists and musicians and it was very evident in Einsteins brain.

A broken mirror set out a bunch of splinters that may have caused many years of glass slivers in fingers and feet. The old brooms would not pick up glass slivers easily, and there were no vacuums.

Knocking on wood was done to awaken the protective powers of the gods, various woods being considered sacred in the past.

For spilling salt, considered to be a precious and expensive thing in the past, you were required to throw a pinch over the shoulder. This made you understand that not watching what you do can lead to more waste.

Walking under a ladder is not wise, I spent a lot of time working construction. Been hit by drills, hammers, screwdrivers, and a bucket of paint and This is just four of many examples I have encountered. This superstition is meant to make people aware to take stuff off of ladders that can be dangerous and to look up when going under.

The Black cat thing was probably from St Christmastine (I think that was his name) who was a doctor during some great plague in Europe. Kids used to tie up cats to keep him from coming to their house to bring their loved ones to the afterlife. I suppose he untied the cat and skipped those houses thinking the people were all nuts, not crossing the path of the cat. He may have been an undertaker also, he did appear to have nurses with him during his travels. Perception of the kids may have formed this superstition.

There are reasons for many of these superstitions from the past. Maybe we have been told they have no merit. Using common sense all these can be explained with some research. Maybe the reasons are old and are not applicable today either.

Do I believe in superstition? That is like saying do I believe in Philosophy. Yes, it all has some basis for being. Precedence is the reason for many Superstitions that were formed. Precedence is a viable part of reasoning.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ~widowmaker~

I really enjoyed your reply !

but when this was real common i think salt was really expensive. so could have even been started by a trader knowing if he could get it to catch on, people would use more salt and sales would go up...

A conspiracy in the making ! Good thinking !!!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

anywhere i can get one in hehehe ^9

but im sure thats how most started, common sense, or $$$

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

already did

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Superstition to me feels artificial and false, as true power comes from God.

I'm a Christian and hate superstition but that's OK because God hates it too and so should you.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Excellent thread, nothing to add other than I am superstitious... Some things I see backwards like 13 and such.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Hello Rickymouse,

What an excellent reply !!!!

You bring up points that I never associated before. such as the omega sign and horseshoes or the black cats superstition...

Food for thought my friend, food for thought !!

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

okay..that's a different type of reply !

I'm a Christian and hate superstition but that's OK because God hates it too and so should you.

Don't really feel like having a debate on this but my father was a devoted Christian ( almost fanatical ) and he's got to be one of the most superstitious person I've ever seen. You also mention that God hates superstitions, is that an opinion or is that sourced? Just wondering...

Respectfully.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Hello Antar ! Really glad you enjoyed !!! I just wonder, with your horses, there must be a few horseshoes here and there?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration

Funny you mention God. I've always thought that whole, if you don't live your life exactly a certain biblical way, you'll burn forever in hell thingie...as superstition....

Des

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Interesting, thought-provoking thread. Thank-you for the post.

Personally, I am superstitious in my own way; I have seen others that are, as well, and some others who let theirs overtake their lives. It's interesting to see what others believe.

oddpenguin

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration

Would you care to share where in the Bible it states that God hates superstition? Book, chapter and verse, please. Hate is a pretty strong word. Although I am pretty sure God "hates" when humans try to speak for him and tell everyone what he likes and doesn't like.

Sorry to everyone for coming off like a horse's rear, but as a christian it really irkes me when people go around making proclamations about what God likes or doesn't. I think it gives us all a bad name. And it's more about self piety than actually caring whether or not God is being worshiped and honored properly. Also, I think God can speak just fine for himself- aka the Bible and God's creation. Those are all probably different threads though.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join