It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Superstitious? You might want to read this...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Nice reply!!
I remember reading about that in the Salt Superstition link.

The superstition states that if an individual spills salt, one should throw it over your left shoulder to erase the blunder. Throwing the salt over your shoulder will blind the devil and keep him from taking your soul.

www.pseudoparanormal.com...

My grand mother who used to do a lot of cooking a lot of the time use to spill salt every now and then and I do remember her throwing salt over her left shoulder. You are absolutely right ! Any superstitions that have affected you personally?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Can you point me in the direction of the reference to Roman beliefs that we regenerate every seven years please.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by splitfamiliar

Hi splitfamiliar, here you go:

The length of time for bad luck – seven years – apparently comes from the belief in Roman society that the body was regenerated each seven years. Thus, if an individual suffered the loss or corruption of the soul because of a broken mirror it was supposed to take seven years for the soul to return to its original state.

www.thegeminigeek.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
My daughter was born on a Friday the 13th, so it is supposed to be a lucky day for her.

My nan was the child of British parents who were apparently very old world and religious. We were subject to all of these superstitions and then some when I was a kid. It was super_bad luck to put shoes on a table, to wear clothes before washing, pull the jokers out of a box of cards, etc.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I've ignored most superstitious beliefs & have yet to have anything bad happen to me as a result... knock on wood!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by rimjaja

Hi rimjaja, interesting reply.

It was super_bad luck to put shoes on a table, to wear clothes before washing, pull the jokers out of a box of cards

First time I ever hear about those !!!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by BuzzCory

Knock on wood...who hasn't knocked on his head while saying that, or worse, on a friend's head?

In french, we say ( Touche du Bois ) touch wood which means the same....while touching a friend's head...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

The itchy palm and touching wood.
I think its excess energy your body is building up. so by touching wood it somehow removes or absorbs the extra energy you have built up. well that's just my theory.

Maybe there is something to it, maybe your energy and your will can cause things to happen, and by touching wood it removes the cause, and therefor removing the effect it could have done. who knows *shrug.

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

im very stupidstitious
i dare not mention them just in case

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This was a fun and interesting post! Thanks for sharing this!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

I think you might be right. The palmists seem to be explaining it that way, I remember reading something along those lines but for the life of me, I don't remember where and can't find the source.

Nice seeing you Whateva !!!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

No pressure...
*but bats eyelids like crazy......please...

Nothing wrong being superstitious, check this out:

Mary Shammas a Grandma aged 73 was on a bus when her left palm suddenly began to itch. Believing in the age old belief that an itchy palm brings you money, she got off the bus and bought herself a lottery, the next thing she knew she had won a $64 million jackpot.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Catacombgangsta

You are very welcome ! Glad you enjoyed !!

And since you are still fairly new, Welcome to ATS !!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Now this is a fun thread!

I turned 13 on Friday the 13th and that number has always brought me good luck (or so I perceive).

It's funny to think about how these are implanted in our minds. My family never preached these as facts. It was more like fun to tell the kids not to step on cracks or momma's back is gonna break! The one I really practice though is the penny. Find a penny, pick it up and all day long you'll have good luck. Except if the penny is face down, then you must put it in your left shoe.

Now, I'm not saying that all superstitions are true. But I don't think our ancestors were dummies either. Me thinks there may be some basis of truth to some of these.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by chrome413

It's funny to think about how these are implanted in our minds.

I agree. We are taught by example from a very early age. At a certain point, it just becomes a natural habit without we even realize it.

Nice reply !!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
reply to post by Xistence

And another interesting reply !!

As ATS is a community of members from all over the world, having different cultures and different upbringings, I so wish that some of them would take the time to share some of their superstitions like you just did !!

I'll think of others and post again soon!

I would really enjoy that !! Thank you !!!

Here's one: My sister was pregnant with her first daughter last year and one comment from a relative that always make me giggle is to do with the superstition:

New mothers shouldn't wash their hair or brush their teeth for 1 month Although in some cases, the Chinese are much more sensible when it comes to treatment of a new mother (they still continue the traditional period of 'confinement' after birth), they also insist that a new mother shouldn't wash her hair or brush her teeth for 1 month. The reason being that if you wash your hair, it's easy for germs to seep into your skin and if you brush your teeth, they will fall apart.

Eeerrmm...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Xistence

New mothers shouldn't wash their hair or brush their teeth for 1 month

if you brush your teeth, they will fall apart.

That is precious !!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure my nan is the most superstitious person alive....she drives me up the wall! Everything from an itch in her left shoulder to a twitch in her nose means something superstitious to her, the list of superstition's she subscribe's to is endless!......and try leaving a new pair of shoes on her table and she will almost have an heart attack! I made the mistake of opening a brolly up in her house when I was a child and anyone would think I had conducted a criminal act...I didn't make that mistake again!

Everytime she has a shudder up her spine she say's it's someone walking over her grave....when I was a small child it used to really freak me out! Now as a grown up I just have a bemused smile and roll my eyes
lol

I'm pretty sure that the fact I consider myself the least superstitious person ever is a direct rebellion to having grown up around my nan!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Black cats can cross my path any day. I might want to kidnap them however and bring them home so maybe this is more for their protection.

Black cats are amazing little creatures.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

OMG! I am replying to the 13th post in this thread! Listen, Sonofthesun, in order to rid yourself of the bad luck you've conjured you have to touch just your thumb and pinky finger to the monitor and repeat this 7 times:

I am the egg man, wooo
I am the egg man, wooo

LOLOL I made meself laugh there.

P.S. Great thread!

edit on 1/7/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join