It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had $1000 dollars, what would you do to use it to make more?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by goochball
Spend $1000 on cheap/interesting flea market items, sell for $2000 on ebay.

Pretty much this.

You can purchase bulk clearance items on the cheap and sell it on ebay. You can actually get good enough to make a living off it, though I never went that far.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
buy a carboy & vapor lock, yeast, sugar, wine bottles, corker,corks, & a book on wine making. go pick a few hundred pounds of blackberries.

6 months later @ $20-30 per bottle make money back & substantial profits as people love blackberry wine. Minimal work for return.

If you don't sell it just drink it and you will soon forget about all those useless teck gadgets and overpriced garbage.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
If I had $1000, I would attempt to practice fractional reserve banking whereby I am allowed by the government to loan out (at interest) up to $9000 more dollars.

Through this form of usury, I would collect interest on money I do not have.

Or better still, I would create a local fiat currency under the government radar, for use by the teenagers in my neighborhood. I would slowly and systematically detach the currency from anything of real value, institute control measures for steady yet unsustainable inflation, then try to enslave the local populace with debt.

Or maybe I would take the $1000 to Las Vegas and blow it at the tables. Not sure.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
$1000.00 Such a tiny amount of money these days. I would think simple, washing windows at a gas station may yield more profits than any "normal" investment of your money. On a small level there are simply no good "no work, low risk" investments. I started with nothing and it only took ten years to get to where I am. I did live in a tent for two years to save enough money to start my own business though.......

I am investing in my own company but with my goals I need over 500k just to get to the next level. And that with over 250k already invested....... The bonus? my gig will net over 5k an operational day with 200+ operational days a year. I do pretty well these days but my business is seasonal so while I can afford to take six months a year off I would rather be making money.

I do not think there are any great investments (outside of starting your own business) even with 50k in hand. It is tiny money these days.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by goochball

The closes flea market is 150 miles away. That's not an option.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by criticalmindseed

And get dinged by the LLBO or get sued by someone claiming it made them sick.

You are talking about something that requires huge startup costs to stay legit and cover your ass.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsAConspiracy101
so i live in brantford ontario and there is this place in london ontario called cutting edge and they sell top of the line computers for really cheap like i got my computer for 950$ and i got 32gb of ram nvidia 580 graphics card a killer #ing case with 8 builit in fans my machine will run anything like a top.....people now a days are spending soooo much money on computers like this and better up to 5-7 grand (5000-7000) now if you bought one of these computers you could double your money someone would easily pay 2-3000 for it but you would need to find a place like "cutting edge" to do such a thing
but its a great idea
and they actually have people doing this already and the shop doesnt mind

I wasn't asking where to get cheap computers. I already know the deal. I don't want to blow my 1k on a computer, I want to make side cash so I can buy more computers, and then some games, and perhaps some booze. Catch my drift?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Jewelry repair would be out for you - but - others reading this thread could use the idea. There's lots of broken heirloom jewelry that has more sentimental value than resale value.

For the OP - computer repair seems a bit too obvious. I presume you've already considered and rejected that for some reason.

Other specialized repairs - my sister has a specialty repair niche. I'm not telling what it is though.

Repairs and other service industries are low cost start-ups.
edit on 6/1/2013 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Currency exchanging. Keep exchanging it into various currencies until you end up more than you started off with

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Wow I've thought about this a lot. Having to take care of my family member who has medical conditions, working for myself is the only way to go. I don't know your skill set or if you have a vehicle, so, I'm just going to tell you a way that almost anybody can make money. And in ways that are legal, as far as I know

Almost everyone has done some sort of chores growing up. Mowing the lawn, cleaning the house, yard work, home maintanance.

You go door-to-door, on foot, or in a car. Use your money for supplies, or just ask the person what they have. I've even had one person let me borrow their ladder after I removed a small tree from their yard, so I could do another job cleaning gutters for his neighbors. You just gotta be a people person. Be genuine. They actually tip you a lot when you are genuinely trying to do a good job.

To clean windows you just need window cleaner, towels, a squeegie, maybe a couple different sizes of squeegies. To mow a lawn, use your mower or weedeater, or use theirs and take off a few bucks. Try to at least provide the gas...you know, to at least attempt to preserve the title of "businessman/woman"...or at least a little dignity... A lot of people don't feel comfortable going door to door to ask if there's anything at all you could do to earn some money. That's why this type of employment is always open for those who can handle it. You should make at least $50 to 80$ a day, tax free.

Somethings you can do... Any type of yardwork, cleaning gutters, pulling weeds, cleaning windows, shampoo carpet, pressure wash anything, paint anything, repair anything, clean anything, take down or put up holiday lights and decorations, move stuff, walk and feed dogs, house sit, wash vehicles, etc. Some people are disabled so the simplest things are unthinkable to them. This is where you can really take advantage of people... Naw I'm jist kidding, I just have a twisted sense of humor, I'm sorry.

No, actually what you want to do is help them as much as possible. I like to throw in some free services for the elderly or disabled. It can actually work in your favor by giving you a good reputation in the neighborhood, and some of those people are rich, and they will actually test you to see how greedy, or foolish you are. You can find yourself a nice tip at the end of the job if you know how to read people, and always always be fair and do the right thing as a general rule.

It's better to go home at the end of a hard day with only $20-30, and keep your integrity and know you did a good job than to go home after an hour with $80, knowing that you did not do the right thing. Now, that being said, some jobs are worth getting paid $80 an hour. Just follow your heart and you will know what is the right thing

And who knows, maybe you will decide you want to start a legitimate business out of it someday whole still pursuing your college goals.

Anyway, you don't really need a business license for doing odd jobs. And if you earn less than 10k or 15k per year, you don't have to pay taxes. Look up the exact figures for your location. If you do decide to legitimize your business, you can take care of that later.

If this didn't help at all, I certainly do hope that you will find a good answer from our other members
Good luck!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

I came across something that could make You a few bucks ? I buy all my work clothes at the goodwill thrift store. I noticed that there were alot of really expensive shirts and sweaters like Ralph Lauren , Tommy Hilfiger , roots , for a few bucks each !! I checked on eBay and there going for 20$ to 30$ bucks , I bought a wool rich blanket coat the other day in mint shape for 10$ and they were selling for 80$-200$ on eBay !! Start shopping !!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

You really have to read up on it. I guarantee you will make mistakes along the way. When I first started I had no clue what I was doing, and made so many mistakes that I cringe when I think about it. I started by reading WordPress books, and going to blackhat forums. The people on those forums really know what they are talking about, and whitehatters even follow their examples.

A lot of people say they will try it, but they usually give up soon after.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by othwald

I have done it, I started with practice account, then went to a real money account. Spent about 6 months reading up on it but I was in the wrong frame of mind if im honest. I made money but lost money aswell, hovering around my initial investment now having almost doubled/halved it at various points lol. Il check out those forums you mentioned though. My accounts still going but I invested the money in other people for now, its growing but sloooowly lol.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by othwald

Just realised you wernt talking about forex lol

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join