It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't you sign legal documents with a Fingerprint?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The real verification safeguard for signatures is the acknowledgement--- the notary public who signs the document to attest that you signed (or made your mark) of your free act and deed, and that you proved yourself to be who you claimed to be.

People who are illiterate or physically handicapped and cannot sign their names in a normal fashion simply make "their mark" It is often just a scrawled "X". Some disabled people have a stamp of their signature from back before they became disabled. These are allowed for all legal purposes provided that the document is notarized. This has always been true.

I'd be a bit uneasy about accepting a fingerprint alone as an acknowledgement of a person's willingness to sign, wouldn't you? Maybe you can't forge it easily, but it sure would be possible to take a person's fingerprint without their permission (like while they're sleeping or something). But I do like Jude's tip about the half prints on the folded papers- that would be a good added security measure.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

But how can you be expected to fill in a form at home with a fingerprint, does this mean we have to all go out and buy ink pads for our desks ?

Well, you have to go out and buy pens for your desk

You would need to have a two part pad one for the ink and another part to clean you finger off.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Think people, think.

The signature goes WAY back, it is was not invented in 2001! In 1650 there was no way to verify a signature on the spot, so the issue is not identity and never was. Signature for "identity" is a modern development but not the reason for the signature.

The signature is a GUARANTEE, a legal statement you will perform as you claim, not a statement you are who you say you are.

Fingerprint can be used for both if you establish this fact. Right now, in the western world, your "guarantee" can only be established by a signature. The only accepted way to "sign" a contract and formally enter into the performance aspect of a contract is with a signature. It helps mitigate the perils that arise from the verbal contract.

Proof of who you are can be established without a signature.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I think you can. You sign anything for that matter. An "X" has been used and recognized for the illiterate forever and how many signatures have you seen that were totally unreadable?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Listen, there is no such thing as the "corporate you". The whole sovereign citizen thing is a scam, and will most likely land you in jail.

People are desperate these days for any kind of loop hole to avoid paying taxes, child support, or any other monetary obligation.

You can't just make up your own diver's licenses, courts, and other "official" documentation.

Lately the "sovereign" movement types have begun putting their finger prints on their paperwork in blood. This is a public health issue, and a bio hazard. These are pieces of non-legally binding garbage, and no fingerprint -- even one in blood does not make them legally sufficient or binding.

edit on 4-11-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
MM is correct, this sovereign citizen stuff is garbage. If you try it you are also going to have to use your guns when the law comes for you. The end result is you will die in defense of your "sovereign" self.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

It is quite easy to forge fingerprints. Retina scan would be possibly one of the most secure options.

Although it would not do bad if fingerprints were one part of the security. Here is currently only national ID-card, which can also be used for digital signatures.

Adding fingerprint scan would make the process more secure, adding also retina would make it nearly impossible to forge.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
As I recall the new fingerprint scanner on the iPhone 5s was hacked days after it was released. Here's some info from The Guardian on this:

Germany's Chaos Computer Club says it has cracked the protection around Apple's fingerprint sensor on its new iPhone 5S, just two days after the device went on sale worldwide.

In a post on their site, the group says that their biometric hacking team took a fingerprint of the user, photographed from a glass surface, and then created a "fake fingerprint" which could be put onto a thin film and used with a real finger to unlock the phone.

The Guardian

I think retinal scans or blood vessel pasterns are more unique. At first I thought it would be cool to use my fingerprint to unlock my phone. Then I thought about how it would be on a day-to-day basis. I probably would get tired of having to do it, as it doesn't work 100% of the time. What if I needed someone else to get into my phone for me?

It would probably be a feature like Siri. It's fun and neat, but it would get deactivated and never used.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I think fingerprint signatures would be good for someone recently dead, or in a coma. After my great grandmother died, my mother and grandfather went to cancel her phone service, and they were told they couldn't cancel it without her signature. They offered her death certificate, but they would only accept her signature.

There should be like, a Master Identity card for every person, where they are registered at birth with record of their DNA, fingerprints, retinal scans and everything. As you grow, they update the retinal scans and pictures, and your birth certificate is attached. It would make it a lot harder for people to make fake identities, and there could be multiple identity verification points.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I prefer to not have many banks and stores to have a nice copy of my finger print. I have a lack of trust for many of those in our society.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Foureyesdoeeyes

The state of Texas requires some finger prints to renew a license. They have it somewhere, probably the FBI now also.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
it wouldn't work for some of us...

I seem to have allergies to some substances and although I have cleaned many of them out of my home, I still have outbreaks. my hands are broken out now. but well each outbreaks will change my fingerprints. instead of having nice swirly lines, I have a bunch of straight deep lines that go sideways and up and down. with new lines being added with just about every outbreak. so, well, my fingerprints are changing quite often.

sorry!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join