It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Double Revolving Doors Block Armed Intruders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

With all the furor lately about gun control and the Newtown Shooting, here is a novel approach to security that I think may have promise.

From Discovery News,

It called the Linear Revolving Door (LRD), and it was recently patented by Barbecan Security Systems. The door consists of series of parallel hallways that can be built at the entrance of buildings. Each hallway has two doors that revolve in front of and behind a person as they enter. DNEWS VIDEO: COOL JOBS: HACKER The system is equipped with sensors that keeps pace with one's stride to cut down on the bottlenecking of most security checks. Once both doors close, sensors also check for bombs or firearms. If a threat is detected, the doors move in reverse and push out the potential offender.

So what do you think, ATS? Personally, I like the type of thinking here....

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I mean for young children?

I do not think anyone is going to try a school with metal detectors.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

If you read the article, the company creating this are implying that it could replace armed guards, who potentially might not be able to stop an armed intruder. So I would think this would be marketed to schools and other businesses.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by truthinfact

If you read the article, the company creating this are implying that it could replace armed guards, who potentially might not be able to stop an armed intruder. So I would think this would be marketed to schools and other businesses.

What about belts, cellphones, car keys, steel toed boots, any type of metal is going to set it off and hence the person still needs a
"pat down"... Neat idea but replace guards it wont do.
edit on 6-1-2013 by gangdumstyle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by gangdumstyle

Agreed, replaced was a poor choice of words on my part.

Still, what I like the most is people thinking in a different direction. Not just focusing on guns, you know?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

You can design a sensor that can tell the difference between a gun and a steel toed shoe. Most places wouldn't use it because the cost is prohibitive right now. But a high security, high traffic area would be a great place to put something like this.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This is a pretty interesting idea.

However, it could lead to a very messy situation if they should ever malfunction, and rotate simultaneously.

Not the place one wants to be if the computers and machines turn evil and have a revolution.

Perhaps really evil criminals and terrorists could be slammed to death instantly upon recognition, instead of gently ejecting them to commit further heinous acts.

This kind of instant and visible justice could restore the faith in law and order.
edit on 6-1-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Agreed, replaced was a poor choice of words on my part.

Still, what I like the most is people thinking in a different direction. Not just focusing on guns, you know?

It is neat, they have these in most jails and prisons minus any sensors. When you go from one section to another you walk in the door, it closes behind you, the one in front opens when the guards give an ok..

It is for sure better thinking then trying to disarm millions because one slips through the system... There will always be holes in any system.
edit on 6-1-2013 by gangdumstyle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
"The system is equipped with sensors that keeps pace with one's stride to cut down on the bottlenecking of most security checks."

So it's TSA scanner meets revolving double door?
It's probably a design patent in that case. For the linear revolving door system, not the electronics.
edit on 6-1-2013 by Qubert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

This looks like a really clever idea, so long as it does not malfunction and squash anyone or kids get their fingers trapped in moving parts. Do they change speed automatically if the person needs a walking frame or has crutches or something like that?.
I guess the real question would be what type of scanners are they going to use to detect the guns and bombs and filter out the ipods/phones/belt buckles/other metal objects.

Personally I like the idea of the 'auto-detonator' blast proof booth where any bombs contained in it will be auto-detonated and only the guilty will not survive.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I believe that kind of door is called a "mantrap" . It was originally designed more to keep people in rather than out .

But it's also designed to keep people "there" more than anything else , that way authorities can come and have a word , or perhaps a small shooting competition .

Either way , it's not a bad idea .

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
they use gates like that for controling livestock.

ohhh those poor kids!
edit on 6-1-2013 by tinhattribunal because: it's me and my pictures again

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by CthulhuMythos

Metal detectors are old school.

I could see this working with an ICAM type system, though it wouldn't be cheap. What price do we put on the lives of our children though?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

You can design a sensor that can tell the difference between a gun and a steel toed shoe. Most places wouldn't use it because the cost is prohibitive right now. But a high security, high traffic area would be a great place to put something like this.

No you can’t.

There is guns with the exact same size, weight, and shape as a metal fountain pin. Yes, I know they are single shot. But that is still one person dead

And it won’t stop someone from smuggling a gun in in pieces.

A glock barrel that is about the same size as a small metal pipe or metal fountain pin. Followed by the other plastic parts and springs. The ammo, one or two rounds at a time. All those individual things wouldn’t set off such a system one at a time. But once on the inside, a minute inside the bathroom, and you are ready to rock and roll.

Getting all that stuff in would probably take a week or two.

We fall back to the same old problem. All those systems are effective against someone with limited time and resources, but a person with no time limit will be able to get through the system once they find it’s limits.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

You can design sensors that will detect certain shapes. You match those shapes to weapon components, and it will detect those. I've seen sensors that an detect a gun in the middle of a load of freight on a semi-truck, and others that can detect individual components. You might not be 100% on the components if they're disassembled, but you set it to kick them out, and then you only have to have one guard, to check them, or you have the police arrive and check them to be sure.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Its a good idea but that is the game isn't it?
It works if idiots don't let them in.I see a "Total Recall" scan area coming soon.
edit on 6-1-2013 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
fancy design and all but, as a claustrophobe, i'd be tempted to sue under the discrimination clause. how dare TPTB invoke unnecessary suffering to 'enter' any commercial/public establishment ?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by Mr Tranny

You can design sensors that will detect certain shapes. You match those shapes to weapon components, and it will detect those. I've seen sensors that an detect a gun in the middle of a load of freight on a semi-truck, and others that can detect individual components. You might not be 100% on the components if they're disassembled, but you set it to kick them out, and then you only have to have one guard, to check them, or you have the police arrive and check them to be sure.

Correction…. The sensor produces an image on the screen. The trained operator is the one that looks for the individual items. The idea of a trained operator looking in detail at everything a child has on them every day they go to school? People complain about unreasonable searches now. Think of what they will be saying if people tried to implement that.

It would give a whole new meaning to big brother.

They only have rudimentary object recognition on some of the newest stuff coming off the line. It produces an alert to signal the operator to take a closer look. Those things can only identify know complete gun shapes and the like. If you tried to set it up to identify gun components, then you would have so many false positives that it would grind things to a halt..

top topics

join