It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Activity Watch 2013

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Geomagnetic storm just struck the Earth. Finally I had change to see Auroras live. Spaceweather has been very stable during this winter, but now northern lights covered whole sky here. Too bad it was only short time, around 1 hour ago and its already faded. I hope we get another hit.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
old region 1689 looks massive

www.solarham.net...

Its edge is already visible even tho its still facing away from us.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
not so big after all:

After yesterday's headaches I checked the Sun and saw a geomagnetic storm is going on...

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by PapagiorgioCZ
not so big after all:

After yesterday's headaches I checked the Sun and saw a geomagnetic storm is going on...

Coronal holes on our sun are not blocked by magnetic field.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Thank you for this thread. With some people speculating we may be in a Maunder Minimum, it's nice to have a compilation of data to either refute or support the claim.

Sunspot 1719 belched out an M6 flare with a CME headed for Earth:

Coronagraph images from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) show a CME emerging from the blast site. The expanding cloud should hit Earth's magnetic field during the early hours of April 13th, possibly sparking geomagnetic storms and auroras

Source: www.spaceweather.com...
edit on 11-4-2013 by r4winds because: grammar, oy!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

The Sun Burps Out a Gigantic Rolling Wave

Just in time for May Day, the Sun blasted out a coronal mass ejection (CME) from just around the limb earlier today, May 1, 2013. In a gigantic rolling wave, this CME shot out about a billion tons of particles into space, traveling at over a million miles per hour. This CME is not headed toward Earth. The video, taken in extreme ultraviolet light by NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO), covers about two and a half hours of elapsed time.

Read more: www.universetoday.com...
www.universetoday.com...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWetCoast

While our species is probably not the smartest one in this universe, it may win top honors for sheer dumb luck. According to scientists at Purdue University (and also at Stanford), a dip in radioactive decay rates has been noticed to happen as much as a day and 1/2 before a solar flare erupts on the sun and hits the Earth. Here is a link for the discussion on this topic from Purdue:

www.purdue.edu...

Here is a link for the Stanford version of this bizarre story:

news.stanford.edu...

Of course, more work will have to be done before any utility company will be willing to "bet the farm" that a total electricity system shutdown is in fact necessary to avoid massive damage from a highly energetic solar storm.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Looks like we have a slight uptick in activity. Two x class flares today from a region of the sun about to turn towards the earth in the coming days ahead.

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Nice video put together by Suspicious Observer detailing what the solar indicators all mean...

Suspicious Observer (Stolen By YouTube)

this is the title of his video, not sure why i can't link the video???
edit on 16-5-2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uphill

While our species is probably not the smartest one in this universe, it may win top honors for sheer dumb luck. According to scientists at Purdue University (and also at Stanford), a dip in radioactive decay rates has been noticed to happen as much as a day and 1/2 before a solar flare erupts on the sun and hits the Earth. Here is a link for the discussion on this topic from Purdue:

www.purdue.edu...

Here is a link for the Stanford version of this bizarre story:

news.stanford.edu...

Of course, more work will have to be done before any utility company will be willing to "bet the farm" that a total electricity system shutdown is in fact necessary to avoid massive damage from a highly energetic solar storm.

I remember reading when they discovered that the rate of radioactive decay is not a constant and it is effected by solar activity. I'm glad that the scientific community is finding applications for this. Since this reality interferes with a lot of the accepted theories in physics, I am surprised that it wasn't totally discounted. In another twenty years it may hit high school textbooks.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Solar flare of M 5.97 from sunspot 1762 ..

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Radio Blackouts R2

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

edit on 7-6-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

What I can't understand is why the sun waits and gives us a parting shot before it rotates out of view, or it gives indication of being trouble before turning into view, then just goes dormant while facing earth???

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Researchers Capture Solar Eruption in a Photo

On June 7, a group of astronomers could successfully capture a photograph of a solar eruption. A report has lately uncovered that the eruption resulted in tons of plasma that are being thrown into space.

While it returned to the surface, the solar plasma was able to reach 2 million degrees Fahrenheit temperatures. At the time, the plasma speeds up touching almost 900,000 miles per hour. It has been told that the acceleration caused the plasma to break out

Source

SOLAR WIND: A fast-moving (~600 km/s) stream of solar wind is buffeting Earth's magnetic field this weekend. Reports of high-latitude auroras are few, however, because of the nearly full Moon and midnight sun around the Arctic Circle. NOAA forecasters estimate a 40% chance of polar geomagnetic storms on June 22nd

Space Weather
edit on 22-6-2013 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Uphill

Thanks for the insight.I have busy planting my garden for the year and I have not been able to post as much as I would like. I'm still waiting for the so called "Double Peak" solar maximum(a sunspot with a 'Delta' class magnetic field should be expected on the solar disk within the next 1-3 weeks).

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Sunspot 1785 now has a 'beta-gamma-delta' magnetic field.It seems that my observations during the last year have paid off. Although being able to roughly predict the frequency in which large sunspots occur is far from being able to predict what said sunspots will do. Sunspot 1785 will be earth directed in 3-5 days

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I will be offline for some weeks, but NASA finally had something interesting to say:

science.nasa.gov...

Yes, the solar magnetic field is about to flip, but that always happens during this phase of the solar cycle. To me, the more interesting aspect of where we are now is that this particular solar max is evidently a quieter one. That's not necessarily good news, because it is apparently the quieter solar maxes that are associated with the bigger CMEs, bigger solar flares, etc.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The latest SOHO images show what looks like extreme Inactivity on the sun. The reason I say this is some of the dark patches don't look right or at least I've never seen them before. I wonder if this has something to do with the pole reversal? Anybody have a theory on this?
edit on 12-9-2013 by The Undertaker because: Typo

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
How much warning will we have before the suns shift?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

According to NASA- a couple of months from now.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

WEll, I am going for a total knee replacement in Oct. so time to heal real fast before anything major happens...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join