It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Recent Stories of Self Defense With Firearms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

See, what most people don’t realize is that self defense shootings happen all the time. The problem is that these instances aren’t shown on the national news, or even local news for that matter. Most of the time you will be lucky to read a small postage-sized report in a local newspaper.

So, for the time being, every week I will compile a report and post it here of every self defense shooting I can find in the US.

12 Recent Stories of Self Defense With Firearms

These are only since Christmas. In at least two of the incidences, multiple people were protected from harm against someone intending to hurt or kill them, all from the fact that one person in the right place wasn't disarmed by their government.

And these are the only reported incidences. It's estimated that up to 50% of confrontations aren't reported because a shot wasn't fired and the brandishing of a firearm was all that was needed to force the attacker to back off.

If we are disarmed, the criminals win, which by "criminals" I mean to say "Congress".

/TOA

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Explanation: S&F!

Awesome thread considering the current climate on the gun debate!

Personal Disclosure: Bumped .. yep thats right ... FOR JUSTICE!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Sorry but this is a piss poor justification for guns

1) this was posted as a thread recently, I love the wording of the "Article" though. It twists the words so that it seems like he was looking for the family. According to the original article this isnt the case.
He knocked on the door and the womans first reaction was to hide in the attic!!!!!!
She saw a black guy on her lawn and went and hid, if she had of simply screamed through the door "go away I have a gun and will use it" or even better "whos there? what do you want?" this guy wouldnt have been shot and her kids wouldnt have been traumatised.
The article listed is clearly twisting the facts.
Ill point out here that once it got to the stage where she shot him I dont think she did anything wrong but if she wasnt so fearful it wouldnt have got to that stage

2) The occupants wrestled the gun away from the intruders, doesnt say anything about them having or using guns

3) So a neighbour killed a guy and then shot another one who was breaking into AN EMPTY HOUSE!!!!!
Thank god he had a gun, they may have graffittied the walls or even # on the carpet

4) So this guy who shot back put his and others people lives at risk over the money in a cash register, what an idiot. I s few hundred or even thousand that was most likely insured worth potentially dying for?

5) The guys were stealing a TV from the backyard and were shot at while fleeing, no ones life was in danger but the idiot doing the shooting endangered people by missing the robbers. The headline could very easily have read "man kills neighbour with stray bullet while firing at fleeing robbers"

6) OMFG!!!! the article headline "man shoots daughters attempted rapist"
That is hyperbole BS at its finest, he wasnt even in the house when he was shot dead.
Did anyone call the cops when he tried breaking into these other 4 houses?
I dont believe for a second he reached into his waistband, its obvious the guy said this to justify his actions so he wouldnt get in trouble.

7) I hate to say this as I love animals but the guy could have called the cops, or even attcked him with a bat or pole. A gun wasnt necessary

8) I wonder how this went down, the article doesnt say much but screaming whos there is normally enough to scare a potential robber away. It seems most gun owners hear a noise, grab their gun and creep to where the disturbance is expecting to shoot someone/

9) The story reeks, sounds to me like he knew the attackers or at least one of them. If it doesnt come out later that this guy is some sort of crim Ill bare my bum on Bourke st.

10) why confront someone? what if there were 3 of them with guns not 1 with a lamp?
Are possesions really worth endangering your life over. Again screaming "whos there Ive got a gun" is more than enough to scare off someone who isnt right in your face.

11) Well, this is actually a good example of how guns get into the hands of crims. WTF was he doing with 11+ guns in the first place? The gun didnt stop or prevent anything

12) Sorry but I dont believe a robber continued to climb in a window with a guy standing there pointing a gun at him. Onve again "Ive called the police and have a gun" would have been enough to scare off this 22 year old and most likely make him think twice about doing it again.

Sorry but most of these stories come across as over zealous and fearful gun owners shooting their weapons unnecessarily

If you want to make this Thread more balanced and not a weak propaganda piece why dont you include the stories of innocent people who died via gun violence over the same period?
Here Ill start

10 year old girl killed by falling bullet on New Years

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Flag and Star
Bumped so I can find it again.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

TL;DR version:

Just roll over and let the criminals take your money, property, identity, humanity, and life. Gotcha. Perfect reasoning and makes sense when you're an anti-rights nut like you.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I am deeply saddened by the tragic death of this 10 year old girl. Only an idiot fires a gun into the air, even the police are trained to fire into the ground for a warning shot.

The subject is Self Defense With Firearms, I think we should stay on subject, if you want to start a thread with accidental shootings as the subject, be my guest.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC

I am deeply saddened by the tragic death of this 10 year old girl. Only an idiot fires a gun into the air, even the police are trained to fire into the ground for a warning shot.

The subject is Self Defense With Firearms, I think we should stay on subject, if you want to start a thread with accidental shootings as the subject, be my guest.

Excellently said. The detractors will always try to derail facts and rationality with emotionally charged, yet ultimately empty and false, rhetoric.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Here is another story for you.

www.foxnews.com...

Very brave woman who is protecting her children. I believe in the right to bare arms and appreciate the fact that there are people who are willing to use them to protect their families. The down side is that we have to protect our families. People who are criminals, in my opinion, have no respect for human life and get what they deserve when the honest people fight back.

On a lighter note, Old American, I love, love, love your avatar. She was my favorite character in the comic.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

The thread is trying to claim having guns readily available is good, this is not the case.

It was a list of people who used guns in "self defence" more people were victims of gun crime in this period than were saved via gun ownership.

That was my point

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadwgirl

www.foxnews.com...

Very brave woman who is protecting her children. I believe in the right to bare arms and appreciate the fact that there are people who are willing to use them to protect their families. The down side is that we have to protect our families. People who are criminals, in my opinion, have no respect for human life and get what they deserve when the honest people fight back.

On a lighter note, Old American, I love, love, love your avatar. She was my favorite character in the comic.

When people stop wanting to take what other people have by force or coercion, guns will become obsolete. I look forward to that day, and will celebrate it. Until then, they are the best defense of your life, liberty, and property.

She was mine, too. She seemed, ironically, the most human of all of them.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Just roll over and let the criminals take your money, property, identity, humanity, and life. Gotcha. Perfect reasoning and makes sense when you're an anti-rights nut like you.

Simple fact is you all feel the need for guns now due to the fact that your outdated gun laws have allowed any nut job, psycho or criminal to also have guns.

As long as you guys dont do anything about it and change your laws people are going to feel trhe need for guns and stories like SH and the new years tragedy will keep happening.

But as long as you have a gun and its no one you love dying I guess its just fine

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff

The thread is trying to claim having guns readily available is good, this is not the case.

(Your Opinion.)

It was a list of people who used guns in "self defence" more people were victims of gun crime in this period than were saved via gun ownership.

That was my point

I could see your point quite well and it is deserving of a seperate thread of its own.
That was my point.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I think self defense stories like these should be more publicized, maybe it would make these criminals think twice before committing these crimes. If you have the balls to trespass, you get what you deserve.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

That was my point

Here's an interesting statistic for you:

But let’s not go with the high estimate. Let’s go with some smaller ones instead. Let’s use the far more conservative 800,000 number which is arrived at in multiple studies. That still dwarfs the number of illegal shootings. Heck, let’s even run with the number once put out by the people who want to ban guns, the Brady Center, which was still around 108,000, which still is an awesome ratio of good vs. bad.

Larry Correia refutes the gun controllers once and for all

The number of gun homicides per year is just shy of 10k. So even the Brady Campaign, who wants to ban all guns for everyone except the criminals...er...government...accepts that guns stop more crimes that are committed with them.

I recommend reading Larry's article in its entirety, BTW. It has more facts and reality than you can shake an emotionally charged rhetorical peace sign at.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

LOL sorry Im not used to people in gun threads being civil towards me

i did make a thread on it......... hang on did you know that and were being sarcastic?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Originally posted by shadwgirl

www.foxnews.com...

When people stop wanting to take what other people have by force or coercion, guns will become obsolete. I look forward to that day, and will celebrate it. Until then, they are the best defense of your life, liberty, and property.

She was mine, too. She seemed, ironically, the most human of all of them.

/TOA

I have said as much in another thread but it bears repeating.

When all governments, worldwide, affirm that all men are created equal, that they are endowed with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

When all governments, worldwide, lay down their weapons and no longer use force and manipulation to ensure their rule over the people they are supposed to protect and serve;

When all governments, worldwide, lay down their weapons and no longer feel it is necessary to try to impose their rule upon another government, or the people in another territory;

When religious leaders no longer call for the forceful conversion of non-believers.

When the criminal elements within the population of the world no longer threaten peaceful people and/or the resources thereof;

Then, and only then, will I relinquish my ability to defend myself from them.

I will however, retain my ability to defend myself and my property from wild predatory animals and my ability to hunt for food.

I do not fear the criminal element in society, because I have the ability to defend myself from them.
I do not fear wild animals, also because I have the ability to defend myself from them.

It is the governments of this world that are my greatest concern, because they have no respect for the common people and no incentive to listen to them. I say this in the full realization that many of the governments of this world, even the United Nations, seem to feel that the people of this world are only here to serve them, not the other way around.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

your outdated gun laws have allowed any nut job

Words mean stuff, and most people say or write things in a specific way, whether consciously or unconsciously, to make a point that relates to them and their personal life. Your wording indicates that you are neither a U.S. citizen, nor do you reside here. In which case you have no dog in this hunt, and are just spewing opinion on a topic that you have no clue about.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Simple fact is you all feel the need for guns now due to the fact that your outdated gun laws have allowed any nut job, psycho or criminal to also have guns.

As long as you guys dont do anything about it and change your laws people are going to feel trhe need for guns and stories like SH and the new years tragedy will keep happening.

But as long as you have a gun and its no one you love dying I guess its just fine

Tell that to the innocent victims of guns in Mexico, who got their guns, compliments of the US government!!!! Are guns not illegal in Mexico?

There ya go! Let's start at the top why don't we?

Leave law abiding citizens the hell alone and put your efforts into the criminals!!!

I guess the saying innocent until proven guilty goes right over your head aye?

edit on 6-1-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

reply to post by RedmoonMWC

LOL sorry Im not used to people in gun threads being civil towards me

i did make a thread on it......... hang on did you know that and were being sarcastic?

I have seen you in many threads and I believe I have always been civil.
No I didn't know that and a link would be apreciated.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I dont have the time or inclination to go through that massive BLOG post to find the study, care to link it for me?

Before you do Ill point out that I know for a fact surveys are BS.

In the vast majority of cases the "results" are extrapolated from a very small sample size, usually around 2000.
So you get 30 people say that they used a gun in self defence all of a sudden you have a figure of 60,000 times that guns were used in self defence.
I hope I dont need to highlight how much of a stretch this is.

Apart from the stretching of figures, get this, people lie in surveys most of the time.
I helped a phone survey try to verify that their results were accurate and valid, the complete opposite was true

top topics

<<   2 >>

join