It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron: Britain would fight another war with Argentina to keep the Falkland Islands

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I did find it the other day (bloody treaties are very long winded) I will get back to you with the document. (little busy at the moment)

Okay, fair enough. I don't mean to be pecking at your head about it.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Just like Gibraltar is british

Oh don't open that can of worms as well...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Here a good article.

www.thinkdefence.co.uk...

Found it article 42 part 7

www.lisbon-treaty.org... specific-provisions-/chapter-2-specific-provisions-on-the-common-foreign-and-security-policy/section-2-provisions-on-the-common-security-and-defence-p olicy/129-article-42.html

7. If a Member State is the victim of armed aggression on its territory, the other Member States shall have towards it an obligation of aid and assistance by all the means in their power, in accordance with Article 51 of the United Nations Charter. This shall not prejudice the specific character of the security and defence policy of certain Member States.

edit on 6-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Thanks.

I still question they'd be willing to help, although the oil might tempt some.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I really don't like war but I am happy that our brothers and sisters in the south Atlantic are protected by this:

You see that gigantic ball at the top? Well that does some stuff that no other warship can do.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

You see that gigantic ball at the top? Well that does some stuff that no other warship can do.

Which is what exactly?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

I don't think it will come to that, let me be blunt we wouldn't need them but again Kirshna knows that an armed conflict would be political suicide for her.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Is it a mini death star

Soz dude you made me giggle

Anyone know the ship btw?
edit on 6-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

let me be blunt we wouldn't need them

I disagree actually. If the islands were taken then I think we'd need all the help we could get. If Argentine forces managed in some way to land on the islands and secure them, then I don't think we'd be getting them back anytime soon.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Extremely advanced radar technology.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

Naturally. What is any war fought over these days if not for resources?
Cameron doesn't give a flying monkey butt who the Falklands belongs, but knowing it's sitting on a saucy reserve of delightfully rare oil, now he's suddenly adamant that we must hold it as part of the British Empire.
If it wasn't for that oil, I'm 99% sure Argentina would be absolutely fine with us retaining the Falklands.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

In what way?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I understand mate, message me a reply when you have time if you like.
I am really interested on british views on this.

On topic

If say the Argentinian's did invade the Falklands would any other nations come to her aid? I think if the spoils of war were to be equally shared then yeah there is a good chance, Other latin-american nations have already pleaded support for the cause.

As for UN or NATO troops on the ground, I have looked to see if their was any during the last war, so far I cannot find anything. I can imagine though that they would have a small observational force in the area, I'll keep looking see what I can find.

As for posters who think the British raped and murdered their way through the Falklands... what a crock of bull. In terms of war the Falkland conflict was one of the cleanest wars fought for a while. Decent troops on both sides, was not keen on the Argie bargies using Napalm though.

We won that war with determination, hard work and better training and equiptment... look up the battle for "wireless ridge" and you will know exactly what I'm talking about

link   
reply to post by Kram09

I don't think they would even get that far, we have a nuclear sub in the area and (That ship with the funny thing on top)
Type 45 destroyer en.wikipedia.org...
I would hate to think we would use a nuke but I think the threat of a nuke means they will never try it again.

link   

Ah yes.

Well judging from that, it seems that would be one of the best defenses the Falklands could have.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I think the threat of a nuke means they will never try it again.

But we had nuclear weapons last time and that didn't stop them.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I think the people on thread that are posting against British involvement need to think long about what they are saying it is an insult to the islanders and there families and to those who served and lost their lives over there its not a case of who owns what point is the islands are british and so are the islanders that is there choice and thats there wish respect it and show some respect to those that were there. how would you like it if someone came along and took your house and family under there guise and no one done nothing about it then someone liberated you after you were taken from your family and then they carried on bitching about it

behave ya selfs and go home

+1 to the real British people on this thread

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
While we're on the subject, does anybody know any good books on the subject?

I have Max Hastings's Battle for the Falklands, but I've yet to read it.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09

In what way?

Advanced air defence

The Daring class are often considered the most powerful air-defence warships in the world.[26] The ship's capabilities centre on the SAMPSON Multi Function Radar which can detect hundreds of targets out to a distance of 400 km (250 mi) and the Sea Viper missile system. In addition Daring's S1850M 3D air surveillance radar is capable of detecting 1,000 targets up to 400 km (250 mi). It is also capable of detecting outer atmosphere objects such as ballistic missiles. As of June 2010, these defences are not yet available, due to problems with the Aster missiles. The problems with the Aster missile were found to be due to a single batch of weapons with faulty manufacture and is now fully capable.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join