It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron: Britain would fight another war with Argentina to keep the Falkland Islands

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Cameron wants another 7 years in office and this is the move in my opinion.
Similar thing happened when Thatcher was in office, where she was going to lose the election unless war with Argentina came about, of course this is my opinion, but it's a coincidence that both are Tories.
I'm all for what the Islanders want, and they want to remain British, Cameron's using that to his advantage, but the people want that and that can't be ignored.
If you ignore that then you're a fascist.

link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Cameron: Britain would fight another war with Argentina to keep the Falkland Islands

ww w.independent.co.uk

David
Cameron has warned that he is ready to fight another war with Argentina to
prevent that country seizing the Falkland Islands.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Cutting welfare and public sector spending to the thread bare, but always money for war eh? Tell you what Dave, you don on some army gear, take a rifle and lead the way mate

link   
reply to post by Aleister

We have tried that we have offered a 50/50 split on all mineral rights, they refused. We need the Argentinians help to extract the oil etc and hopefully when they have voted Kirshna out the next person may see sense and help make better relations between our two countries.

link   

It would be completely different

How so?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

plus the fact they would have to take on the whole of the EU too (lisbon treaty)

Don't you mean NATO rather than the EU?

Then again I can quite imagine the EU and NATO just sitting back and doing nothing.

Nobody would come and help us. What's in it for them....oh wait possibly oil. Oh here comes the USA....

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Why do we need there help to extract our oil?

Oh yeah, "Our" oil is 8000 miles away just of there coastline...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by splitfamiliar

You seem to be missing my point. Put aside your national pride and look at a map.

It really is that simple.

So Alaska can go to Canada, cancel the Scottish referendum, reunite the British isles, and unify continental Europe into one state, sure look at a map its all that simple......

Actually what is really really simple is you.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

No it is the EU we have a common defence thing in the Lisbon treaty that states the members will defend member nations and Member's overseas territories.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by biggilo

edit on 6-1-2013 by splitfamiliar because: Ok, misread that, sorry.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by splitfamiliar

It is a win win situation for Argentina If they agreed to the 50/50 deal, we could say to another south american country say Brazil to go 50/50 on the mineral rights if they help us get it to land but I think we are just waiting for a decent government to get into Argentina.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

No it is the EU we have a common defence thing in the Lisbon treaty that states the members will defend member nations and Member's overseas territories.

There was nothing in that link mentioning such a thing.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Aleister

We have tried that we have offered a 50/50 split on all mineral rights, they refused. We need the Argentinians help to extract the oil etc and hopefully when they have voted Kirshna out the next person may see sense and help make better relations between our two countries.

50/50 Oil split?Is that split 50% Argetina and 50% Falklands.Or was the split offered at 50% Argetina and 50% British?Sounds like good oldfashioned colonialism if the Falklands weren't offered a split.

Defend the Falklands then Go Away!!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

So by that logic we would have to go and fight for the Canary Islands for Spain if they were invaded?

I can't see many being too enthusiastic about that, can you?
edit on 6/1/13 by Kram09 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/1/13 by Kram09 because: grammar

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Why don't the people of the island seem to have a say in the matter?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by biggilo

Sorry, just to clarify are you insulting me or the boy monkey?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

i know. why wait for a referendum when we can argue every single point over and over.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea
Why don't the people of the island seem to have a say in the matter?

And they will. In the referendum later this year that the Government of Argentina seems to object to.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

because they know that when their choice is made, agentina cant keep harrasing the uk and falklands without looking like the bad guy. all their BS will stop working instantly. then mayb a war if their dumb enough.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

The European Union classes the islands as an overseas country or territory of the UK, subject to EU law in some areas, and eligible for some European funding initiatives.[79] The inclusion of the islands in an appendix to the proposed European Constitution provoked a hostile Argentine response.[80] Its mention is retained in an annex to the treaty replacing the abandoned Constitution, the Treaty of Lisbon.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.mercopress.com...

www.defense.gouv.fr...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The time to worry will be a year before the election, Con-Dem way down in the polls.
If that happens and the ships, subs and most of the garrison get withdrawn, that'll be the cue for an invasion.

Argentina would need about 10 years of truly massive investment in their forces to take the islands with even 1k troops holding.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join