It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron: Britain would fight another war with Argentina to keep the Falkland Islands

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

Over half the population of the Falkland Islands has lived there for less than 10 years. I haven't seen much "carving" going on during that period, have you ?

See, the British and those islanders really do need to decide what it's all about. They claim it's not a colony, but the facts say otherwise. Over half the population are recent incomers. The islands aren't financially viable without massive UK subsidy. It's system of government, it's laws, it's education, judicial and every other system has been imported lock, stock and barrel from the UK. It's even got a colonial governor to run the entire operation, a drop-me-in from London, a man with a fancy uniform, a posh job title and an outrageously plumed hat.

That's a colony by any definition. It simply cannot be argued otherwise.

That's not to say those islands would be much better off under Argentine rule. After the initial euphoria of regaining sovereignty, I doubt Argentina would be that much interested in their Malvinas backwater. It'd just slide back into a minor tourist attraction, one for particularly hardy nature lovers

Either way, those islands are simply not worth the death of one more boy, British or Argentinian. And if you people, being the cream of the crop (as you all like to consider yourselves as ATS members) well if you can't see that then heck you need to go back to basics and re-engage your critical thought processes.

Look people, for all the huff & puff on here, unless you were born before the mid 1960's then you didn't serve in the 1982 Falklands war, you didn't vote for the government which sent British troops to those islands and you didn't pay the tax bill for the whole enterprise either. Your life wasn't on the line, no bullet had your name.

Yet still so many of you come here with your trollish, phoney baloney "we kicked your asses then and will do so again" routine ... it's both insulting & disgusting on so many different levels, it's faux, it's fake and absolutely 100% contrived.

And it's no way for people to engage with one another on a civilised discussion board like this.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

You said a good thing very badly there sir,

The only reason an Island 8000 miles away is British is because our ancestors were a bunch of egotistical bullies.

As I'm English myself I'm therefore following in my ancestors footsteps and taking that ice cold beer you have in the fridge in the name of the Queen, god bless 'er.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by splitfamiliar

They are British, they are in a British territory. They call themselves Falkland islanders first then British just as I call myself English then British.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
i laugh my ass off when people say something as stupid as free the malvinas.
just shut up and await the referendum and then say something stupid again.

im sure they want to remain a self governing overseas territory of the united kingdom, who the hell would choose the government in argentina?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Lets just agree to disagree then.

Enjoy your war, It will look super in HD.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I'm tired of all these jingoistic arrogant posts that fellow British people are making about the Falklands.

They are a bunch of wind swept rocks in the South Atlantic. Cameron is pandering to the mindless gutter-press readers of our society.

Even if (and it's a big if) there was a war and Argentina managed to take the Falklands....how exactly do you think we're going to get them back again?

Oh and spare me the more extreme posts about nuking Buenos Aires etc. I mean we've hardly extracted ourselves from the blood soaked mess in Afghanistan, yet Cameron is already planting the idea of another war.

Yet there are those brain-dead idiots in our country who will blindly wave the flag and eat it all up.

Our country is going down the tubes, so obviously the government would love a distraction like this, especially when many would agree with it!

Then again Cameron was asked whether Britain would fight for the Falklands so he's not likely to just say no is he?

Give the population a referendum and let them choose and if they want to remain under British rule then so be it, but talks of war and conflict are just irresponsible. It's easy to call for war when you wouldn't have to be the one fighting it. Our troops have already been shafted in Afghanistan and I certainly don't want to be a party to another mass slaughter thank you very much.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

who the hell would choose the government in argentina?

Who the hell would choose the government in this country?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by splitfamiliar

Trust me we will not start any war, the only way a war will start over this is If Argentina try to invade again.
They started it last time remember but I know they will not try it again.
BUT If they did I would hope we would defend the people who live there.
I really think If they did try it international pressure would make them turn back...plus the fact they would have to take on the whole of the EU too (lisbon treaty) so unless they are stupid they will not do anything.

link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou
Do you really think we were over there to fight for a minority of people who claim to be British?

I can promise you, most us Brits do not consider those people far away across the sea as British - far from it.

Deeper politics are involved, as always.

I'm posting from mobile at the moment, so I'll try and exspand later from laptop.

Most of us Brits would happily pay a tax rise to defend the Falklands, as fact is most of us Brits know they are as British as us. Makes me wonder if your British at all, how could you be so confused?

link   
reply to post by Kram09

thats not what i mentioned, self governing were the words i used

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

It would be completely different, I do not agree with what has happened in Afghanistan nor Iraq but I do agree with defending British people against a foreign invader.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by biggilo

I think your a little off the mark there regarding Us Brits and increased taxes for a war.

I think it would make a great thread though, why not start on and let the Brits on here decide, I think it warrents a thread independantly.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
i have four words for mr cameron regarding this: not in my name.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Where can I sign up? I've always wanted to go to war with the Argentians, ever since that ''Evita'' film. The war must go on!

But maybe they can work out some kind of agreement, you get the Islands during the week and we'll take it on the weekends. Some cultural exchanges, a football match or two, and everyone will be BFF.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ramcheck
The Empire is over, move on. Free the Malvinas.

Free the Falklands from what?
Have you EVER heard about self determination?
How about you go there and ask the people themselves what THEY want instead of vomiting all over this thread?
Pathetic.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by biggilo

not too sure about that, most us brits cant afford a tax increase.
many are struggling to remain housed.

link   
Also what would everyone's reaction be if Cameron said "No we will not defend a British territory if invaded" he would be called weak and the next day fellow Brits would die in an invasion.
He has to stand up for us just like any other leader would. (still don't like him though).
It matters not what happened 150 years ago because no one is alive from that time but what matters is what is happening now and the Falkland islanders need us fellow Brits to help protect their homes be it just supporting them on ATS or by military action.

link   
reply to post by ParaSpy2012

Why don't YOU give the British people a vote on whether we want these Falkland Island spongers to be British at all ?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by RoScoLaz

So you would just let fellow British people to hang out to dry....

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by NorthernThird

i want them to be able to be whatever they want to be. british, self governed or argentina.
let them choose.
with the oil they could be getting in it's hardly sponging.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join