It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron: Britain would fight another war with Argentina to keep the Falkland Islands

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wongbeedman
I think as a principle, the days of "we claimed this land or we won it by force" are over, and for good reason.

Which is exactly why Argentina needs to stop threatening an invasion. Don't you agree?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by VSNU7

Oil and its a gateway to ........... the Antarctic which of course would be rich in resources same with south georgia and you have the south orkney Islands and so forth its our claim to fame

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

Originally posted by DangerMcBacon
OMG it is absolutely HILARIOUS to listen to all the puffed up Brits in here pretend tough talk. Yeah real tough picking a fight with Argentina after you've already stole their land....Haaa haaa haaaaa haaaaa, hilarious.... Argentina, the only place the Brit military can go and feel relevant.

Remember Vietnam and the Mighty US Military defeated by an army peasant farmers.

Oh dear

And never forget how easily the Muppets took Manhattan...!

2nd

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by scepticalatheist

Originally posted by ObservingYou

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by ObservingYou

Wrong do you even remember the Falklands war? I do my Uncle Mark fought in it and he is proud he did travel 7500 miles to help OUR people.
Most people wouldn't care? you are so wrong.

Actually I'm pretty good friends with an older Scottish gentleman who was posted to Faulklands -
If you consider sending a trained proffesional army over to a distant island to slaughter women and children fighting for their indepenace a GOOD cause, you are very much mistaken.

When re-counting his exsperiences the grown man, broke down and cried in the pub - he said it altered everything about him.

A few alternate history books may change your opinion also.

And they are not "our" people - WTF have we got in common?!

Erm... don't know which war your old Scottish gentleman faught in but no civilians were "slaughtered" by either side. There were 3 (that's THREE) civilian deaths during the Falklands war (Susan Whitley, Doreen Bonner and Mary Goodwin)
There has been RUMOURS of an Argentinian lieutenant going off the hook and ordering his men to slaughter civilians but this was stopped due to the war ending and the fact that most sane people (soldier or not) are not really up for those kinds of shenanigans.
The three civilians died when the house they were sheltering in took a direct hit from a stray missile fired from a British ship.
With a population of just 1820 in 1982 I reckon they'd have noticed any "slaughtering of women and children"?

So far the falklanders have chosen to stay British.
For as long as this is the case, we have an obligation to protect them.

I agree with you on this one That old fella wasn't involved with the 82 conflict for him to come out with that and thank you for the info on the civilians killed I didn't know that. thankfully alot of the fighting was done out of town, in the hills it was in fact the last orders via a POW ( Argentine ) walking into stanley with whites showing offering the chance of unconditional surrender before an assault commences where the Agentine commander would be held responsible for any damages and deaths from his negligence to know when times is up.

a good site to look at: www.psywarrior.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I want to make this clear. I hate David Cameron like the walking plauge farm that he is, and I hope that he crawls into a hole, and rots there.

That said, his stance on the Falkland Islands issue is the ONLY thing for which I respect him. He is absolutely acting in the spirit, and along the lines of the thinking of, the people of the UK, and even more crucially, the people of the Falkland Islands. If the people of the Falklands wished to remove themselves from the Commonwealth, wished to attain thier independance from the UK, then I am pretty sure that despite any hard feelings from British Vetrans who spent thier lives, and limbs, and blood and pain for the islanders back in the Falklands Island conflict, most people would agree with thier right to determine that for themselves.

As it is, and as it will no doubt be proven by the up and coming referendum on the Falklands, which seeks to make plain the feelings of the Islanders at this time, the people there have always maintained that they wish to remain part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain, and until such time as that ceases to be the case, the government, and by extention the military it controls, should support the wish of those Islanders to retain the national identity with which they are most comfortable.

If the Argentine government refuses to accept the outcome of the vote, or enacts military endevours with the intent of taking the Falklands by force, then I believe that a) the British government will not stand idle, and will commit all available resources to a defense of that end of the realm, as it would were an assault to be leveled at any other British land, and that they would be justified in doing so. Also b) That in RPG terminology, the Argentine force will suffer what is known as a TPK, or a total party kill. Even with the advances in easily portable weapons, special forces tactics and training that the Argentine forces may have utilised since the last encounter thier armed forces were involved in against the British, our lads remain some of the toughest fighting men on the face of the planet, and they have at thier backs one of the strongest intelligence structures ever put together.

I believe I have covered my personal opinion regarding the actual dispute.

Now, regarding the Argentine president Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, I have this to say. Her attitude to the wishes of the Falkland Islanders themselves is a testament to just how unfit she is to run a country, let alone be in control of a force which might seek to annexe the territory she claims to seek. If she runs her own nation, in anything like as hamfisted a way as she has handled this international dispute, then I pity her nation, and its residents. Its economy is not just merely on the ropes, but on the point of suffering a brain bleed, and the last thing it needs right now, is to go to a costly war, which will be the proverbial shattered cheekbone that will put the nation on the canvas for the ten count.

No matter which view point you attempt to assume in order to assess the current state of affairs, or indeed the scenario as it plays out in the future (using current data as a jumping off point to extrapolate from) there is no mechanism by which the Argentine government, or its people can benifit from the bravado expressed by Kirchner, nor any military action she might sanction in order to get her way. If they act, thier forces will die, and in great number. The longer Kirchner blathers on without acting, the less credible she becomes in her own nation, and the less she will be able to deflect peoples attention from the terrible state her nation has fallen into in the meantime.

In short, continuing to rattle her sabre is doing Kirchner no favours, but it will be less catastrophic for her nation if she at least has the decency to drop it, before her soldiers start dying in droves, fighting a war they cannot win, on ground populated by a people who are resolutely British.

There are better things to do with lives, with ones time, than to wake a Lion from its slumber, with nothing but the stick with which you poke it, to defend you from your demise.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by idmonster

What did I miss?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

I want to make this clear. I hate David Cameron like the walking plauge farm that he is, and I hope that he crawls into a hole, and rots there.

That said, his stance on the Falkland Islands issue is the ONLY thing for which I respect him. He is absolutely acting in the spirit, and along the lines of the thinking of, the people of the UK, and even more crucially, the people of the Falkland Islands.

I agree. Would add that the last conflict was correct but also unfortunate in that the timing boosted Thatcher just as her popularity was waning big time. She milked the situation for all it was worth which unfortunately politicises the action. I suspect something similar now with Cameron.

If the Argentine government refuses to accept the outcome of the vote, or enacts military endevours with the intent of taking the Falklands by force, then I believe that a) the British government will not stand idle, and will commit all available resources to a defense of that end of the realm, as it would were an assault to be leveled at any other British land, and that they would be justified in doing so. Also b) That in RPG terminology, the Argentine force will suffer what is known as a TPK, or a total party kill. Even with the advances in easily portable weapons, special forces tactics and training that the Argentine forces may have utilised since the last encounter thier armed forces were involved in against the British, our lads remain some of the toughest fighting men on the face of the planet, and they have at thier backs one of the strongest intelligence structures ever put together.

Take my word for this (whisper cannot say why/how....obviously!) but should the Argentinians attempt an invasion they would be wiped out before placing one foot on shore and without one British soldier firing a bullet.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Puberty??

(sorry, couldn't help it!
)

Not a lot, few derailers and trolls, bit of hissing, but the mods stepped in (bows to the power).

I was talking about sending Uncle Albert in undercover to the Argentine navy, I think it's a bloody good idea!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

I agree, but at least he is taking action, it just sucks he will be seen as some sort of hero :/

I have to say, I was shocked when I heard Thatcher threatened to use nukes should the French not hand over the exocet codes. (although granted, it worked.)

If the worst does happen, I hope Cameron doesn't make similar threats, we have enough hardware without resorting to them.
edit on 7/1/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by VSNU7
I just looked up on wiki about the islands... is there any proof that these places have something beneith the surface? meaning... star gate or something ? The islands look dull

Guess what "on top" of the islands live people. Those people are British and wish to stay British. Surely a nation has a duty to protect it's citizens? Or are you saying, depending on geography, some citizens are not worthy of protection? With that logic we should let the French invade Jersey, Guernsey, Sark and Alderney and to hell with the current occupants.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by yorkshirelad

I agree, but at least he is taking action, it just sucks he will be seen as some sort of hero :/

I have to say, I was shocked when I heard Thatcher threatened to use nukes should the French not hand over the exocet codes. (although granted, it worked.)

If the worst does happen, I hope Cameron doesn't make similar threats, we have enough hardware without resorting to them.
edit on 7/1/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

The good thing about Thatcher though was when she said something, she meant it and the whole world knew she meant it. I have no doubt she would have sanctyioned the use of Tatical Nukes should the French have not handed over the codes. Then again she knew that the French would not take that risk.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I find it funny that people are saying the Argentinian government is merely creating this conflict to distract the citizens from the countries problems( which of course is obvious) But its clear Cameron's statements are intended to do the same with the British and its working given how many have come in here babbling about how much bigger their bombs and ships are and how "we" would crush them even though I'm sure many here haven't served in their countries army and seen combat.
I mean really I thought us Americans were the only ones to act this ridiculous?

The whole falkland island conflict today is little more than excuse for both countries to do a little patriotic dong waving to distract their citizens from whatever problem they are facing. No war is going to break out any time soon.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by paganini

Your pretty far off the mark there to be frank. Cameron isn't distracting anybody with this Falkland issue, he is still as hated as ever as will be proven at the next General election. However if there is one thing us Brits tend to stand together on then it is the protection of our people and the protection of our allies. We don't like going to war but if it becomes a nessesity then we will stand united. Trust me Cameron is getting 0 political points here, he will still be acronomiously voted out in 2015.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

First off it was just a jab I said it was a joke j/k ^^ and second I didn't say give anything up, I said they should fight you heheheh But you bring up and interesting point. if it wasnt taken by force, why not let them leave with no force? just a thought ^^ (i know the answer)

Im not one of the blind that doesn't realize we ripped this place off (America) , committed genocide, practiced germ warfare handing out blankets with disease on them the list of atrocities is endless and continues to this day. I am also an American that would shut this government down if I had that shiny button , trust me. But with the current vote system in place, mass corruption everywhere in all ranks of gov, the only way ill be able to help change anything is when our next revolution comes ^^

Being a country that is much much older, Im pretty sure Britain takes the cake on atrocities committed by the crown and for the crown. and taking land im sure is waaaay down on the list lol. Since you know, we learned by watching you mom (England) !! Long live the queen , hip hip. Not to mention a family that kills its own to usurp power 8o)

As much as I love my British brothers and sisters. I definitely would not want to be British again ^^ (spent enough time there to know that much heh) I love everything about my country , the people that live here and our huge diversity. The one thing I don't like is my government (which really i think has been infiltrated, they do not do anything for the people by the people any more) , I do not condone anything they do at all. Its just a corrupt war machine now and nothing is going to stop it until people are hanging from a tree.

p.s I love pretty much everywhere I've been in the world and Britain was one of the best, real places to drink with nice big leather couches and food I could actually eat and people I could talk to (kinda)
(meat and potatoes kinda guy ) can't get a real sub/sandwich in France everything is on those damn baguettes lol

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

no biggy mate ^^ /hugs

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
This thread reads like a bunch of Brits banter in a pub..

Love it! Lol

The truth is.. Us Brits love a scrap.. We would headbutt you just for spilling our pint.. At the moment though we are victims of the same things that the NWO has put in place.. Except.. That though they have worked real hard to make anything British seem racist or outdated.. Our DNA is programmed to be an attack dog... In other words a big fat fail as far as NWO plans go by..

We slag off the Yanks for their guns.. Why?.. Because tbh most of us would enjoy giving a burglar a good "talking too" or a pedo an extended talking too..

I also laugh at Yank superiority... From personal experience of 3 and a half years of special operations.. I can con confirm the timidity, lack of direction, and reliance on Brit experience and

Gumption.....

I actually would LOVE the South Americas to try and take the Falklands...
It is our unofficial line in the sand...

Just c'mon.... This is about pride.. Not politics.. Or dodgey claims.. This is a spill my pint issue.. And where tradional stiff upper lip will headbutt you...

Also.. The Monroe doctrine... Lol..

America has a lot of nukes.. But we have a lot of DNA specific weaponised viruses.. And other nasty stuff.. We have enough of this stuff to destroy the world... It is probably in you countries right now hidden and waiting... Us Brits aint stupid.... And are the best soldiers in the world.. It was not a queen that made an empire but a lad from Birmingham, Manchester et al..

If Argentina wants round two?... Lol so do we!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

I admire your alleigence to our Country but I feel that some of your beliefs are misinformed. I too am ex-military, yet I don't think I could go as far to say that we are any more superior than anybody else. Our Soldiers are indeed battle hardened but the illusion of us having the best soldiers is indeed doctrined into us to give us belief to make us better soldiers. It has worked because everybody I know in the forces think that the Brits have the best personnelle but reality is we probably have good and bad ones just like any other nation.

The point you make about us being fighters is correct, we are a mix of Viking, Norman, Celtic and Roman blood who were all great warriors so it is no suprised it has made its way down through the blood lines. I think the truth is probably closer to the Brits being a nation that should not be underestimated but by no means are we more superior than anybody else, in fact not even close. Our Government lets us down and we have our own social problems in society. I'm proud to be British but not ashamed to be anything other than the same as everybody else when it boils down to who we are.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I served under Stormin Norman and many other foreign commands.. They ALL said that British soldiers are the best in the world..
Even Hitler wished he had a brigade of us..

We are the bastard children of every warrior nation on earth..

We took 3/4 of the world!! The people from this tiny island! Lol..

We also took on the might of the German and Japanese war machines during ww2.. Hitler tried to invade us.. Did not happen.. Why?... Work it out..

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I watched the burials in the cemetery overlooking Ajax Bay,
grieved with their companions; thought of families far away.
There is a lonelier ground than this, so I’ve heard tell,
but where was it to be found? Nowhere this side of Hell.

T.V and newspapers have proclaimed the fighting’s glory;
for those down there it was a different tale; a truer story
of men, not all young, who fought and survived
their unlucky comrades-at-arms who have died.

How to account for each precious life taken away –
is it enough to recall that they did their duty this day?

Tell it so to those families who, in desolation and sorrow,
have given up yesterday’s light for a black tomorrow.
Tell it to men dead in the mud or floating in the sea
but for Christ’s sake don’t try and tell that to me.

Ships sunk; aircraft down; men missing, believed dead
good viewing on the nightly news before the nation goes to bed.
But our news was relief at another day seen through
and hope that the coming night’s fears were survivable, too.

“Hit the deck, hit the deck” is the loudspeaker’s awful call
as we scramble from sleep to the “Action Stations” alarm thrall.
Snapshots of one’s life flash past –
grab a breath and wonder if it could be the last.

“You survived, you came home” the disbelieving voices cried,
“what of the real heroes who did not return, those who died?”
“True” my friends, “no scars to show and our faces are unlined;
but, oh, if only you could feel the wounds gaping in our minds”.

“Would you fight again?” ask the silent whispers of the night,
As I try to forget the apocalyptic visions which are a blight
on my peace. Yes, oh yes, when others of my blood have lost
their freedom, their way of life; and not to count the cost.

War-broken bodies were healed, returned to a normality:
ravaged pysches festered unseen in their distorted reality.
Two hundred and fifty-five men did not return victorious from this war;
almost thirty years on, and lonely suicides have doubled that score.

Nicholas Lutwyche

A falkands poem
edit on 7-1-2013 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join