It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron: Britain would fight another war with Argentina to keep the Falkland Islands

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Dependency ... it's a colony.

So the Argentinian President is correct.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Heck, I am suddenly being reminded of Admiral Byrds failed expedition for some reason.
Maybe not connected at all

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NorthernThird

No. A colony is under the direct control of another state. A dependency is not. I suggest you learn what words mean before throwing them around willy-nilly.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

The Falkland Islands are not a member state. You won't be able to invoke the provisions in the Lisbon Treaty, that plus no-one in Europe would be stupid enough to contribute to the defence of that colonial possession anyway. You honestly think the French or Spanish will come to your aid ? Think again.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

A members states territories are also included in the treaty.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

The Falkland Islands have NO control over the military which defends them. The army, navy & air force takes it's orders from London, not Port Stanley, not from the local council or their governor either.

That means the Falkland Islands are a colony.

I'm sorry if you can't accept that unpalatable truth ... but any objective observer would see it in such terms.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Seeing the French also have territories much like the UK, they will agree with us.
Once again tell us where you are from please.
edit on 6-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

We can round and round on this, but's neither here nor there. I can see it will be like arguing with a brick, pointless.

Argentina is a former colony itself, so throwing around accusations of us being colonisers is a bit stupid. It's a total non-starter for any claim they think they have. Bottom line is, the indigenous people of the islands are and will remain British, such is their choice. They have a vote in March, let's see what they decide they want, hey? And yes, they are indigenous to the islands, being the first permanent human settlers. Anyone who came before was merely temporary, such as whalers and pirates.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

*cough* *exocet*

I think the last war worked out wonderfully for Aérospatiale.

I'm in UK if it's anything to do with you, which it isn't.

I invite the mods to perform an IP check if you doubt what I say.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by splitfamiliar

I'm not angry but I did get a little heated. Sorry about that. It's just that this Argentina want the Falklands stuff is BS. They don't even really want them.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Yup it did but since then times have changed and the French signed the Lisbon treaty as well, they would stand by us by law as we would do the same.

oh a good read here.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Not to mention France has their own "departments", such as French Guyana, which they would want reciprocated defence on should any other SA country get shirty.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
pennsylvania and new york along with 11 other states used to be british, why don't you guys go claim that back.

The last Falklands war was won with help from the US, they provided intelligence and communications. This was kept secret as to keep north and south American relations healthy.

The US helped Britain why? is the question you need to ponder.

"The US have made it clear that they do not wish to reveal publicly the extent of the help with which they are providing us. They are very much worried about the effects on their relations with South America. We must accept this as a fact of life," a Ministry of Defence letter said.

The United States assisted Britain with intelligence and communications facilities as well as with military equipment such as munitions, the document said, confirming information already in the public domain.

in.mobile.reuters.com...
edit on 6-1-2013 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Cos we are buddies

Didn't know that cheers. (Got any links though?)
oh and thank you USAers for helping

edit on 6-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorthernThird
Right so let's summarise. It looks like Britain, it walks like Britain, it talks like Britain ... but it isn't a colony. In fact, it's a self governing little group of islands which simply depends on Britain for all it's money, all it's public services and all it's defence requirements.

So you guys say they're British through and through of course. British but really a different country, one free to do whatever it pleases. You'll defend them because they're British and the islands are as British as, say, the Western Isles. Or Anglesey.

But "in recent polls" many of them describe themselves as Falklanders first and last. The new "third way" LOL How do you account for that. You're imposing your own Britishness on people who describe themselves as Falkland Islanders. What's that about ?

Makes no sense, that, but I'll take you up on it.So. There'll be treaties for all this, is there ? Treaties, you know, written agreements between sovereign nations ? Like a mutual *cough* defence pact, for example, between the Falkland Islands and the UK/NATO/EU ? Something. Anything ?

Oh no wait ... there isn't.

And that's because the Falkland Islands are a colony, just as the Argentinian President says.

I think if comparing how the Falklands govern itself they are comparable to the Isle of Man so no they are not a colony and also a person from the Isle of Man would call themselves a Manx before saying they are british, still does not negate the fact they are british though does it?

It's like I'd say I'm a mackem before I'm english, I'm english before I am british, I'm british before I'm European, I'm European before I am.... you get the idea right?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

We can round and round on this, but's neither here nor there. I can see it will be like arguing with a brick, pointless.

Argentina is a former colony itself, so throwing around accusations of us being colonisers is a bit stupid. It's a total non-starter for any claim they think they have. Bottom line is, the indigenous people of the islands are and will remain British, such is their choice. They have a vote in March, let's see what they decide they want, hey? And yes, they are indigenous to the islands, being the first permanent human settlers. Anyone who came before was merely temporary, such as whalers and pirates.

Hmm, so you take land thousands of miles from your own land, populate it, call these people indigenous, then have them vote to decide the fate of this land. Sounds fair.

As a previous poster has said, the Empire is over. Perhaps Cameron would do well to hand back the Malvinas and apologise to every country the British Empire has spilled blood in.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
HOLD ON
edit on 6-1-2013 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2013 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Precisely, The Falklands are a stepping stone to South America. It's the same reason the UK will not relinquish Northern Ireland. A doorstep is a threat.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kingmonkey

We took nothing, certainly not off Argentina.

Our claim pre dates the very existence of Argentina by about 80 years. Let's also not forget that the territory Argentina now occupies is much larger than the original country at it's foundation, solely based on their conquest and slaughter of indigenous people in the 1870's.
edit on 6/1/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I think the french will be the first to offer military assistance anyone ever here of this:

Anglo-French Security Co-operation

and daz21
thanks for that I was not aware of the US help in that conflict, It was my understanding the refused any help for fears of damaging latin-american ties

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join