It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advanced Warning Of Snow and Deep Cold Arriving in the UK.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I remember when squirrels used to hybernate...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Another excellent thread by you Mr Mcleod! I've enjoyed reading your weather updates in the past, and always trust your information.

Thanks for the heads up, i will be watching this thread.
Big shiny SnF for you

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
star and flag. good thread.

i am a member of a couple of weather web sites and i think that the amateur weather forecasters perform a better job than our 'quango' met office.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Snow balls

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Great, just what I need! I'm a dog walker so I'm either out in it being dragged across the ice or my work gets cancelled and I earn nothing and get stuck at home with the kids! Luckily I've already bought snow grips for my boots! Oh well I guess it's an excuse to grab the sledges and go up the local bmx dirt track (for the kids of course
). Mind you if it kills off the germs so I survive another year without getting norovirus I'll defo be chuffed. Thanks for the headsup, at least I can air my flask in readiness for the vast amounts of soup I'll be needing!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

Originally posted by GrandStrategy
I don't remember 2010 or 2009 being that bad and I live in the pennines where we used to get a fair bit of snow.

I remember getting snow from November through to February/March. It was common to get school off for all the snow. In recent years you see a sprinkling in Janaury and that's about it.

Can't remember anything but a light dusting in recent years, hyped up by the london media who can't handle mild weather

selfishly, I'm hoping for tons of snow, because I've almost forgot what it looks like!

Wow you have a short memory. I remember Scotland quite literally grinding to a standstill in December 2009-January 2010. People all over the central belt trapped in their cars for hours - and it taking until 5-6pm in the evening for the authorities to realise that many people had been in their cars for up to 8 hours with (very probably) no food or water in their vehicles.

I had to drive to Edinburgh 2 days later - on a motorway that looked like a country track decorated with jackknifed lorries. The following day - a trip to work 10 miles from my home - took me four days to complete

I know you're slightly further south than me - but my son was in London at this time - and he got trapped on Luton beach for 2 days
because of the amount of snow down there. Surely you saw more than a light dusting in the Pennines?

The year before the sea at my folk's place was frozen!

Forgot about Scotland. And no, there hasn't been much snow where I am in recent years. My experience is there's barely any snow these days and people just exagerate it because the media tell them to. If you look at the pictures of this so called large snowfall it's only a little bit of snow.

even looking at pictures of scotland in 2010, the snow looks like how snow fall is meant to look. it's a fair bit of snow but it's nothing i would have considered out of the ordinary 10 years ago

Now snow is so much rarer, than when there is a little bit of it, it's blown out of all proportion. Transport going to pot doesn't mean there's been a lot of snow, it just means there are incompetent people who have jobs. London has trouble with 1 cm of snow.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
It's a good thing that the rest of the world is undergoing AGW
The Antarctic Ice Pack needs to be replaced or sea levels are going to rise.
The Brits are taking one for the team.
Our planet and it's population send their thanks blokes.
[/sarcasm off]

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Good luck to those in the UK! I'm from Minnesota, USA and I am a pro at dealing with winter weather.

A good thick hat that covers at least down to the bottom of your ears is a good start. Good gloves, I don't mean mittens, I mean gloves. One slot for each finger will help when you need to go out and shovel. Something we call " long johns " or long underwear will keep you warm. blue jeans, not slacks...khaki's...dress pants, but a good pair of jeans will do well to keep warm. And a good thick coat as well! and boots with good traction!!!!

As far as utilities go....go to your local shop at get. A shovel, I don't mean your garden varity. I mean a good hauling shovel...something you can pickup alot of snow with at a time.

Good luck to you all!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
reply to post by jrmcleod

Wow...UK getting pounded with snow while in BC, Canada we get pounded by rain. Better make sure you have enough heat to survive "the day after tomorrow"

I think you will find that we here in BC, Canada are about to get pounded by snow as well...

The exact conditions explained in the OP cause the Arctic Air to be more able to float down, we are gonna get in starting next week !

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Duly noted OP thank you. Does CAPE animation still exist anywhere and if so does it help determine things like this? I used to use that for thunderstorms some time ago, but haven't kept up my 'checking data' passion for weather as much in recent years.

Anyhoo, I bought a new budget convector heater from Argos and so far it's proved to be very good, but this is within the last week, so the temp hasn't dropped below about 6 degrees since before Christmas here. I'm yet to see the results in freezing temperatures but remain aware it's likely to happen any time soon, so thanks for the heads up.

My fave real-time weather sites, for others to bookmark:
UK Rain Radar
UK Snow Map
UK/Euro IR Satellite
UK Weather Warnings
World incident map (includes weather events)

edit on 6-1-2013 by markymint because: added links

edit on 6-1-2013 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
On the french weather forecast they are already warning of possible snowfalls in north and eastern france from saturday 12 jan or sunday 13 jan onwards. As yet they are not sure whether other parts of france will be affected.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Yikes! Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I could handle another 2010...was the worst Christmas ever for me and mine as we had no water for 10 days throughout the small town due to frozen mains and Yorkshire Water Authority ran out of water barrels. Shop keepers were going to the motorway service station and pubs on the outskirts to fill up with water. Then we had electricity power cuts and I couldn't open my door for 2 days lol

Yup time to stock up on the softee loo roll and bottled water & tea bags

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Thank you for all the great info and links, guys...I'm in a rural community so stuff like this can make life extremely difficult for us. Advance warning is always useful. I will talk to some of our farming buddies today and see what they're saying. Usually old farmer weather forecasters get it spot on when it comes to weathery type things.

So...what to do when we have 4 feet of snow outside like we did in 2010? We definitely could build snow people and have raging snowball fites, and build igloos, cos they would almost certainly be warmer than the house
but the ultimate snow experience sure has to be to create a snowhenge. Seriously...how cool would that be, eh?

Hengers around the world

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I've been hoping for a cold snap because this current temperature is making the grass grow on my lawn and it's too wet to mow it!!

It would also mean that my kids might get to use the sleds I bought for half-price in the summer.

Win-win!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by markymint

One of teh best places for amatuer weather forecasting is a site called Weather Online. If you go to WEATHER MAPS > EXPERT CHARTS you will see CAPE values.

Cape is excellent for predicting thunderstorms but there are other factors needed like Lifting Index and Soaring Index...high cape is usually a good indication of the right ingredients, it just depends how they all come together.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Cheers for this thread Mr McLeod. Cheered me right up - not had a proper winter storm yet. Fingers crossed for extremely low temperatures.......and 10ft of snow!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
It's time I moved to Yorkshire, we hardly get a sniff of snow in the Midlands. Best we had during the brief cold snap was a bit of frost.
Not saying it doesn't get bitterly cold, we just seldom get the fluffy stuff.

Do we as a nation really fall to peices at the first whiff of snow or do we just collectivelly think YAYYYY snow and use it as an excuse to lark about for a bit? True it's no fun for the older generation but I'm sure even they in their day were made of much sterner stuff. Blimey, even I remember growing up with no lagging in the loft, single glazed windows, no central heating - the windows being iced up on the inside and the pipes freezing up. Mind you theres been times in my adult life that's happened too, I didn't see much hardship in it and the kids still look on it as some weird/fun indoors winter camping lark.

Mayhap we've all just gone soft..

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Snow in winter!!

No......but really??

It can't be...

Whatever can we do?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Don't do it once you move here you can't leave !!!!
Jk I love Yorkshire

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Too true. And if you do leave, there is an invisible bungee cord that keeps yanking you back........

Never had 10ft snow drifts in my part of Yorkshire (thats right, i claim it!) but hey, we can all dream can't we?

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join