It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advanced Warning Of Snow and Deep Cold Arriving in the UK.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
No snow here, wedding, here I come

Don't have to set off until 17:30, staying at a halfway location until the wedding tomorrow, it's at Muncaster castle, so it's further south of me...with any luck......BRING ON THE WHITE!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon
reply to post by fiftyfifty

Nooo, not the wine, noooo!

I'm planning on having a night out tomorrow, nothing special, just a few drinks, as I haven't been out for a while and I have to work on saturday, snow or not.

I hope you get your wine, pretty essential in these circumstances.

By the way solar; my delivery turned up at 9.20am with 3 bottles of sauvignon blanc nicely bagged. My Kingsmill Wholemeal got substituted for Hovis though... looks like the panic buyers have stripped Sainsbows bare of Kingsmill! As long as the Mrs get's back from work ok this evening, I'm all set so bring it on! Wrap up warm tonight!
edit on 18-1-2013 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
No snow here, wedding, here I come

Don't have to set off until 17:30, staying at a halfway location until the wedding tomorrow, it's at Muncaster castle, so it's further south of me...with any luck......BRING ON THE WHITE!

*Blows some snow Woogle's way*

It's really coming down here, and they said it would be only light snow showers.

It says on the Met Office that Cumbria will not be getting any snow until Monday, but that could change. It is the Met Office after all

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Coming down well and sticking in Glos. Most of the schools are shut except the wife's one lol

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

"Oh and the panic buying of bread and milk in Morry's last night.."

How I agree. I went to Tesco yesterday and it was just full of people with loaded trollies, like the store was going to close for a month.

Did buy a basket of supplies, beer, wine, baked beans that sort of stuff, felt so stupid with just a basket up against all the trollies when it came to pay. Hehe.

Today I have been watching the snow fall from about 4 this morning and it is still doing it. Must be a good 6 inches of the stuff.

Countryside looks great and all the trees have a good coating of white on the bare branches, looks rather pretty. Must break out the camera and have a wander.

Take care all and keep warm, this may last some time. (Do I need more wine?????)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

Fantastic news!

My night out looks to be slipping away from me, in addition the shopping will have to be brought home by sledge.

But hey, you take the good with the bad.

Please drink some for me.

Edit to add...Hovis is great, certainly would be my preference.

edit on 18-1-2013 by solargeddon because: Because bread matters too

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
reply to post by solargeddon

I'm jealous. I think the sky is constipated here. It's definitely trying but it's really struggling. Lunch time is when it will apparently start so we will see. I'm haunted by the words of the weather lady last night; "light and patchy"

Try not to loose heart....according to Piers Corbyn's website...

What to Do - To help cope with the dangerous very cold and snowy/blizzardy weather in UK, Eire, and Europe and USA**, and also Asia or anywhere in the world. (i) DOUBLE OR TREBLE all snow amount forecasts on TV from 24/12 hr ahead. (ii) EXPAND ALL THE WARNING REGIONS GIVEN on TV (iii) INCREASE ALL WINDS (fronts will become more active and isobars tighter) NOTE for Europe /Britain & Ireland Greenland and / or Scandinavian Highs are likely to strengthen - encouraging colder blasts and impeding less cold air from the West. (iv) HELP others at risk

Weather Action Article

So you might be in luck!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Yes, lets hope Woogle stops by to give us an update.

School has sent a text saying any parent concened about road travel and wishing to collect children early can. Noticed alot of them have reducing their hours rather than closing for the day. Probably avoiding the flack.

I will pick my kids up at lunchtime (making the most of the peace and quiet) and they can play all the way home!

Not heard from hubby yet. He's a coach driver and does posh school runs who tend not to close early.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
That was quick...Up to 5 inches already and still coming thick and fast.
Still trekking to the pub tonight though.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
It's snow joke here in Derbyshire, central UK. Blizzard conditions, will upload a video shortly...........

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Wow Suspiria, thats quick. Not quite that bad here.but you never know how deep it will be in another couple of hours.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by YarlanZey
Wow Suspiria, thats quick. Not quite that bad here.but you never know how deep it will be in another couple of hours.

Confirmed by Mr Suspiria using a pint pot on our local pubs outside table. He's not really slacking he's just on his way to work....apparently...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
Still trekking to the pub tonight though.

Us too

It's coming down heavy here in Derbyshire now, a few main roads coming into town have been or are due to close. Everyone panick buying silly things like 8 loaves of bread and 16 pints of milk that they are never going to consume leaving Aldi, Morrisons and even Sainsburys supermarket shelves empty.

I have to nip my daughter out in the car in a minute, hopefully we'll get by on the roads OK, I've recorded a couple of videos today and will record more in a sec when we go out then get them uploaded to YouTube and posted in the thread here

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Trouble with this weather is that it doesn't happen enough to have the appropriate gear for trudging to work. Thick thick snow in Bristol, now having to work weekend to cover staff who can't get in. My boss just rang to ask if I was coming in to work at one pm. Had to reply that yes, I would be as really didn't live far enough away to use the weather as an excuse!

Can I take this opportunity to say that our wild creatures, especially small birds like robins, perish very quickly from starvation in weather like this so please put out some food and fresh water is also important. Obviously we need to stop it being covered with more snow as they won't be able to get to it so please check it as often as possible.

Thanks all!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria

Phnar phnar, quark quark.
(sorry, got childish head on today).

Sulking big time. Still only a bit of snow here - it's just bloody freezing. I wouldn't mind if i had the snow to go with it but without the snow, well, the weather is just being bloody rude isn't it?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Update from my local weather site...

- It snowed steadily in Buxton through Thursday evening into Friday, to about 02.00 and we have blizzard conditions right now - we have 6cm of fresh snow in Buxton @ 12.00 Friday - Side roads have become very difficult in Buxton, but no reports of any main road closures - REPORTS IN TODAY - "My partner has just informed me that the cat and fiddle A537 isn't passable he's had to turn back" Thank you Ruby @ 11.55 AND "Made a return journey from Whaley to Buxton 10:30-11:30. Between The Shady Oak and Buxton road is bad. Fair bit of snow, clear tyre track evidence of cars skidding over to wrong side of road and onto verges. Saw a gritter at 11:00 heading towards Whaley. Not much drifting yet but snow blowing about so will be soon. With AWD and diff lock no problem but would not try it with 2WD, maybe doable but very unwise" Thank you Michael @ 11.50 AND "Macc rd A537 update - open at 8.30am, 80% of road is clear but where snow has drifted and on corners it is very dangerous, icy underneath the snow. If snow continues I cannot see it being open for long because of the drifting snow" Thank you Rachel Browett @ 09.50 -

www.buxtonweather.co.uk...

Videos to follow.....

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I wish I could post a video or picture, but its been hammering it down for hours here in Oxfordshire. I've never seen so much snow, we don't normally get this much. It's a very fine and powdery, slippery under foot. I keep expecting it to slow down. Probably had about 3-4 inches.

Glad I stocked up

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I wish I could post a video or picture, but its been hammering it down for hours here in Oxfordshire. I've never seen so much snow, we don't normally get this much. It's a very fine and powdery, slippery under foot. I keep expecting it to slow down. Probably had about 3-4 inches.

Glad I stocked up

Same as that mate, I'm just down the road from you and yep, a lot of snow.
Although we did get a crap load a couple of years back, was deeper than this, although still hammering down so it may get there.

I remember last time "wading" to tesco and it was up to my knees..... only just over my ankle now so a way to go yet.

Glad I stocked up too.

Had to ride my Motorbike over for an MOT this morning though, for 9am... was barely any snow at all, now it's like Charlie Sheen's coffee table out there!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Here's a pic from my balcony, it's been snowing here since around 8am.

Unfortunately it doesn't capture very well just how much snow is coming down and how large the flakes are, which has actually got worse since i took this 20 minutes ago. It's set to be really heavy throughout the day.

edit on 18-1-2013 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join