It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advanced Warning Of Snow and Deep Cold Arriving in the UK.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarTraveller
4 degrees here and raining!
I want the Snow Drift Apocalypse NOW!!!

and don't tell me....obama, the liberals, or america are somehow to blame
....sorry couldn't help myself...tell me, if the water pipes freeze up in your toilets, could you then call it an "IGLOO"???

edit on 17-1-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-1-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by merkins

Did you ever meet a bloke called Terry Mattinson? Youth worker, talks to students, does stuff for groups like CAFOD and such like.

If you studied in Preston in the 90's, chances are he will have been to your school/college, I don't think there is one in Preston he hasn't been to (or Workington for that matter).

Anyway, if you have, that's my Uncle.
edit on 17/1/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Don't think I ever had the pleasure, but I was drunk at The Adelphi most of the time so you never know.

EDIT: Coincidentally, the ast time I saw a decent accumulation of snow was in Preston. I'm in the amber area today so hopefully there'll be a decent amount when I wake up tomorrow.
edit on 17-1-2013 by merkins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Had a trial run on monday this week as the school had to close due to no heating.

The dusting of snow on monday had stayed on the trees and roofs and the roads and pavements were clear. Beautiful picture postcard views with no driving hazards - perfect.

Hoping to have a nice snow day tomorrow and over the weekend so we can all have fun together. I love waking up to find everything covered in snow! I know it causes chaos but for a couple of days when people are on foot and talking to each other and helping each other - I love it!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Been snowing in Stoke for a good 4 hours already. It's just light atm though.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I am being ripped off by moher nature yet again. The snow is, and has been for a good few hours now, just sitting slightly west of me, and seems to be a bit stuck. I hope it moves over a bit and gets stuck over me.

*wills it to happen*

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Well its still powder snow here in North Wales(amber zone),890ft ASL at 9:27pm.
But the wind chill is getting fierce.
Only 1cm of snow,but its coming down sideways,and mounting up by the hedges and walls.

If we get the main blast after midnight,things could be interesting round here by morning.
I have to make sure approx 6 different old folks are doing well tomorrow.
By my car if possible(14year old VW Golf with a pokey engine and a record of zero breakdowns),otherwise it will be a Captain Scott affair with me walking over snow deep fields.
I have 15kg of rocksalt in buckets and I don't want to carry that through drifts along with 20kg soup and loads of blankets.
But looking outside its getting worse.
Great.
Oh well,thats Wales.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by merkins

SSW is a very complex action that takes place about 30-50km's above the north pole. It is not caused by HAARP, it is natural and its what happened in 2010, 1996, 1987, 1963 and 1947 but to name a few.

Basically, the temperature, approximately at ozone height is around -70oC during the winter nights above the pole, when it rises rapidly, i.e. over a couple of days to say -40/50oC it has an effect on the Jet Stream.

When the Jet Stream is shifted, the default UK weather shifts and allows cold continental or arctic air to flood south, the cold block takes hold and the Jet shifts over Europe. At the moment, instead of the Jet being over Northern UK, its heading towards Spain.

Back to now:

Thos of you under snow just now, THAT IS NOT THE SNOW EVENT.

This snow we have just now is an unpredicted band of snow that is very very minor in comparison to whats to come.

As of just now ther eis still uncertainies on the trajectory and the cold block influence. It looks like it will stall over central England and then pivot on itself an dhead out of the UK via the SE of England. Meanwhile snow will pack into the N and NE of England through convective showers off of the North Sea.

The wind chill will be very high and the snow, in places may last +24 hours.

Advice to all, dont travel unless you have too. Stay in, have blankets and candles incase of power cuts and check on any neighbours that are elderly before you go to bed at night.

Watch the weather for updates, expect the worst to be over by Sunday nightr before the next batch arrives on Monday!!!
edit on 17/1/13 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Hey jrmcleod judging from your recent update I gather the south of Essex will see some snowfall? But how bad do you think it might get sorry if the question is a bit simple

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

The BBC weather presenter is telling us that our part of the region (Nottingham) will now only get patchy light snow although it will last for a while, so only 2-5cm now. Do you agree with this? If so, it will be a bit of a disappointment!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
South Coast of UK here. We're expecting heavy snowfall for 8 hours starting 6am, am excited as my little dog hasn't seen snow before. And a little bit excited myself!

Stay home and stay warm.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Mr jrmcleod ive got to say mate your predictions are spot on!

West Midlands (Dudley) here. Snow has been falling quite heavy for a good few hours with strong gusts of wind making blizzard conditions.

I think its quite deceiving though as although the snow is falling quite heavy, it still seems quite fine (small flakes) however, looking outside, i can see my footprints made only an hour ago have already been covered over.

Its great to see everyone getting excited about the prospect of some serious snow, it just goes to show that were all big kids at heart

Have a safe day everyone

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by HumanPLC

There is a saying....Little Snow=Big Snow.

Interpret that as you may but from my experience you tend t fee smaller flakes before the bigger flakes

edit on 18/1/13 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Thats good enough for me... I will keep an eye out for the big flakes; although you do realise i will be holding you to that now, lol

Thanks for the great thread though mate, you the man... The snow man, lol

Have a good one matey

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Have to admit I was bit disappointed with the level of snow when I woke up, but seems to be coming down nicely now. Just feel sorry for the kids who still have to go to school.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
woo hoo we got 6 inches of snow in not so sunny jersey and its still coming down
made it into work but theyve just closed the schools so now got to try and get home up a hill full of abandoned cars

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
woke up to no snow - kids disappointed - but then it started at 8am very fine snow, blowing about. Walked them to school which is closing at lunch so no work for me today (I only do 4 hours so not worth going in to come back in time to pick kids up).

Now its 10am nd the snow has got bigger an clumpier and falling downwards rather than being blown about although it is still breezy. Met office forecast has been spot on so far so well done them (for a change!).

The patches where next doors cars were parked are still there although the edges are less sharp. The ground is wet so its taking longer for the snow to settle than it would if its dry. Cars moving about OK when I took the kids to school.

Lots of schools are closing early and I am waiting for all the moaning to start on the local newspaper website who are running a do schools close to easily? poll. This is so stupid as it just fuels the arguing and moaning rather than being a proper debate. They ran a story at the beginning of the week about 6 schools being closed and included ours which was closed to there being no heating not because it was snowing! Had the heating been working the kids would have stayed for a normal day.

It happens every year. Weather warnings issued and you get moaning if they are heeded and moaning if they are not. We got stuck in the big snowfall about two/three years ago and I wish we had listened and stayed home! My husband finished early and we decided to finish off the christmas shopping. When we left at 4pm it was raining and the ground was very wet. We only travelled four miles which took about fifteen minutes. It went into the shop and by the time I came out it was snowing and the snow was settling. Luckily we managed to get to a friends house by about 8pm after abandoning the car and walking. We didn't get home until the next day at 4/5pm! We had no extra stuff with us for snow as we were only popping out and it was raining...it could potentially have trned out far worse.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Yay, its happend!

Snow day, snow day.

It all began as I left at 8:10am this morning, walked the kids to school, by the time 10am came around I was ringing the school telling them I was picing my kids up.

Mcleod you are the man!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

I'm jealous. I think the sky is constipated here. It's definitely trying but it's really struggling. Lunch time is when it will apparently start so we will see. I'm haunted by the words of the weather lady last night; "light and patchy"

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Wonder if Woogle managed to dodge that wedding?.
Well the light snow just didn't stop all night. Woke up to a good inch or so. Now it's big fat flake time.
The big'uns school hasn't shut, which I'm sure is appreciated since they all look forward to a full on snow ball fight. Doubt I'll be able to take the little'un to Grans though. Taxi's all go home at the first excuse.

In other news next door neighbours have decided to have a massive fight. Not of the snowball kind, just a slanging match. Oh and the panic buying of bread and milk in Morry's last night was hilarious. Perhaps that's what the argument's about, she could only get skimmed instead of full fat!.

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join