It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assad Addresses Syrian Nation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+47 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Assad Addresses Syrian Nation

news.sky.com

Syria's president has blamed "outside forces" for orchestrating the conflict in his country in a rare public address to the nation.

The embattled leader, who appeared before cheering crowds in the capital Damascus, struck a defiant tone and was frequently interrupted by supporters chanting: "With our soul with our blood we sacrifice ourselves for you O Bashar."

With insurgents fighting their way closer to the seat of his power, President Bashar al Assad spoke about the latest developments and "suffering" in Syria.

He said the conflict was not between the state and opposition, b
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk

+50 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
So Assad has done a speech condeming the Civil War? He caalls opponents of his regieme terrorists? Can Assad then please explain how innocent civilians peacefully protesting be classed as terrorists? Can he please explain how children he has killed via his army be called terrorists? Does he shed a single tear for them? I think not!

One has to ask WHY he is making this "speech" now? Is it because the rebels are closing in on him and he is feeling threatened? If Assad truly wanted peace he would open up dialogue with the opposition and form a coalition government of national unity. Not exclude them out altogether. Sure there are some Al Quidea terrorists inside Syria, of that I have no doubt. But frankly Assad brought this on himself. He could have prevented all of this by listening to his people in the first place and be prepared to be pragmatic and allow reforms to take place. It would have saved 60,000 lives.

Quite frankly Assad has lost any claims to legitimacy. He needs to go now and be replaced by someone more willing to come to a political settlement with ALL parties. Assad himself should be preparing himself for a trial and a long stint in prison. And that is being let of lightly. I am sure there are others who would gladly take him out and have him shot.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

I agree. Prepare to get flamed for simple logic though.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
the American and every other government we have today, does the exact same thing in round about ways. although that doesn't make it better, it does put it into perspective eh.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

everything is not always as it seems there is a lot more to this story than just what you see on the news

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Know what, I'm just going to tell you how I see it whether you like it or not.. I'm sick of this "Assad has lost legitimacy" crap yada yada.. First of all, you obviously didn't read the first part of your source properly. If Assad has lost all legitimacy as you claim, why the hell are people even listening to him and chanting his name? This shows me that Syria is behind him and with that I don't know whether you know or not but the majority of Syria are behind him..

As for the bombings in Syria, you need to remember that most of the reports coming out of Syria and on to your TV screens cannot be verified. Yes, the SAA are bombing but that doesn't mean they are targeting civilians. Maybe you should take a look at some of the videos of the SAA and what they are doing to ensure civilians are being protected. I can guarantee you that they are more concerned about the civilians than the FSA and their minions are.

3rd - The FSA have been compromised. When he says terrorists, he is correct. It is well known that Extremists are operating in Syria including the likes of Chechnyan rebels, Islamic Extremists to convicted criminals from Saudi Arabia who were previously on death row and let loose only if they went and fought in Syria. Who were you thinking about throwing in power after Assad is ousted? Good luck.

Did you also know that Assad sent a letter to the United nations to be reconised as a country under attack from terrorists? He even sent lists of the groups operating in Syria only for the UN to pretty much turn their noses up at him. The problem is not Assad especially when it can be verified that Syrians alike are taking up arms with the SAA to defend their families and their country. Stop being fed the MSM propaganda. The FSA were a minority when it began and from the reports and footage I have seen, they are still a minority which the Syrian people want eradicated. The FSA never had legitimacy. Countries who don't give a crap about the Syrian people gave them legitimacy.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

To be fair though, a large percentage of those "rebels" are indeed foreign fighters, armed and funded via Qatar and Saudi Arabia, who of course receive the arms and funds from the US and UK, amongst others. They too are responsible for terrorism - suicide and car bombings - against civilians so are hardly the noble freedom fighters.

In cases such as this, is it really any different than we could expect if WE tried an armed overthrow of our government? If we took up arms, supplied by foreign powers, and brought in foreign mercenaries to fight alongside us, would our own government give up power and hand us the reigns? Of course not and anyone who thinks different is sadly delusional.

As for those "war crimes" we keep hearing about, and the ICC being touted for Assad, perhaps we should also look closer to home for people just as bad and with just as much, if not more, blood on their hands, as well as the dictators we prop up and empower because it's in "our" interests to do so. We in the west can hardly take the moral high ground on these issues as we are responsible for so much death and destruction against innocent people. If there were justice, we'd have seen the likes of Blair and Bush in jail long before now, with Cameron and Obama sharing the cell next door.
edit on 6-1-2013 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
warms my heart to see those 3 posts above mine, gives me hope that more and more human beings are beginning to see through the great charade. very little is as it seems in our world and i think it would be nice one day, to have a world we can believe in, run by human beings we can believe in.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ANDERSON23

I would not argue for assad or the killing of civilians or violence at all..... however is he wrong to say outside forces are involved ???

I know its a wiki source but it uses real history go down the list and see how many time just the US has been involved in other countrys business. Scroll down the page ..... The are all relevant, I'm not one for spoilers but the last one

en.wikipedia.org...

Just sayin.

edit on 6-1-2013 by CitizenJack because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2013 by CitizenJack because: link

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

exactly, if Assad falls it would be interesting to see if the Muslim brotherhood appear on the market it would kind of seal the deal on Assad's claim of outside interference Mentioning no names but you know who I mean

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
by chance, I happened to turn on CNN as he started his speech.

It went on for almost an hour, and the bulk of the speech was all about dialogue and a new, constitution and government.

I watched him speak for the entire hour, to me this was a man extending an olive branch out.

the main points of his speech worth noting

this isn't a revolution as there is no leadership.
he demanded nations around Syria stop supplying them with finance, intel and shelter.
amnesty if everyone comes together and talks and votes and figures this out.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

The problem with what you just said is the FSA will not have a bar of it and with that, I'm sure the western powers who are 100% behind the so-called revolution will make sure the fighting continues until Assad is either dead or flees the country. I don't think negotiations are on the table from the FSA standpoint.. Its Assad goes or the fighting continues as sad as it may sound....

One thing I haven't heard about is what happened to that Ukrainian journalist who was kidnapped.. I thought that maybe there would be some information about whether they killed her or what.. But that just brings up another point also, the FSA/extremists have also said they will kill any Russian etc who are found in Syria. I don't think those guys are going to negotiate with anyone who is against their cause.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   

edit on 6-1-2013 by cyoshi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I gave you a flag and then took it back after reading the MSM nonsense that you parrot in the second part of your post.

These FSA dogs aren't even Syrian, there is overwhelming evidence that they are foreign mercenaries.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Oh my god do you really believe yourself and what you've been told? They have their own central bank for a start and that won't do. They must be linked up to the global financial system of depravity. If Syria does fall, just wait and see what happens to freedom and love and indeed innovation over there......the place will be turned into a living hell, all western backed.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Assad has been blaming "foreign elements" for he opposition ever since the war started - or the uprising if you prefer.

And since all the opposition Syrians were based overseas he is completely correct, by definition.

It's a bi of a no-brainer of course - 'cos if they tried to oppose Assad inside Syria they got arrested and disappeared, or the Shahiba got to them - in return for their crime being officially ignored they were/are expected to "act" as required against the opposition.

So whoopeee do.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

the way I see it both sides are just as problematic as the other, protests started across the region as peaceful or as we are lead to believe it may be true it may not be true, but there was a catalyst involved which lead to the battles that we see today we will never know where it all came from a good example is bloody sunday so many ends to tie up and it could be argued that that was a game changer in the conflict how many people join the IRA that night and certain US officials were supportive of the IRA, isn't it funny how they crop up when ever there is trouble like on the link you gave.

Assad is an educated man he is not daft and he has handle this situation well and he has done good to stay in control even though that can be argued but he stil has control the rubbish in the news about desertions how many of them do you think were actually Syrian forces in the 1st place.

Contrary to some belief he hasn't used the Chem weapons, it was his forces that got attacked by a substance released from a bag thrown at them which then released gases which lead to around 7 killed yet none of it was to be seen on western sources now that is where the propaganda wars come into it whats real and whats not the way I see its not upto us to make assumptions and act its up to us to be aware of what is going on make up our own minds from intellect rather than items we are ALLOWED to see and take in.

thats not to say I do feel for the actual innocents caught up in this conflict its a bad world but remember the culture and ethics some people aren't afraid to make their own child a martyr
edit on 6-1-2013 by ANDERSON23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Check out this doofus.. Makes me wish the government sent him over so he could get a bomb dropped on his bald head..

edit on 6-1-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

What's your point Princess?

The FSA is full of Foreigners?

That's what I see as well.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077
reply to post by DarknStormy

What's your point Princess?

The FSA is full of Foreigners?

That's what I see as well.

Princess? What the hell it that? I didn't realise it was a common thing for Australian citizens to offer to go fight a war in a country that they have nothing to do with... I know there are foreigners in the FSA but this? Oh well...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join