It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN peace keeping?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
which country does the most?
and how many do they currently have over sea's

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Well, a good place to start would be the UN web site.
www.un.org...

Here is a link to the list of members. It is to long to quote.
www.un.org...

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
how come the US only has a couple of hundred troops doing that?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
"While detailed records of all personnel who have served in peacekeeping missions since 1948 are not available, it is estimated that up to one million soldiers, police officers and civilians have served under the UN flag in the last 56 years. As of June 2004, 97 countries were contributing a total of more than 56,000 uniformed personnel—the highest number since 1995.

Despite the large number of contributors, the greatest burden continues to be borne by a core group of developing countries. The 10 main troop-contributing countries to UN peacekeeping operations as of June 2004 were Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria, Ghana, India, Ethiopia, South Africa, Uruguay, Jordan and Kenya. About 10 per cent of the troops and civilian police deployed in UN peacekeeping missions come from the European Union and one per cent from the United States.

The largest contributers were from Pakistan (8,652), Bangladesh (8,211) and Nigeria (3,577). The biggest contributer from a western country is Poland with 739 peacekeepers on a 19th place. The USA ranks 26th with 430 peacekeepers. The EU combined have 4,532 peacekeepers."

"As of May 2004, in addition to military and police personnel, more than 3,400 international civilian personnel, 1,500 UN Volunteers and nearly 6,500 local civilian personnel worked in UN peacekeeping missions.

A total of almost 2000 soldiers, hailing from over 100 countries, have been killed while serving on peacekeeping missions. 30% of the fatalities in the first 55 years of UN peacekeeping occurred in the years 1993-1995."

I always knew that Bangladesh (one of the poorest countries of the world) sends lots of troops abroad for peacekeeping, (to Africa for example).

And this is one of the reasons: "... countries are reimbursed by the UN at the rate of US$1000 per soldier per month, plus equipment, which can be a significant source of revenue for a developing country."

So they gain experience from serving abroad, and their country gains money.
Although I wonder how well they are equipped..

>Quotes from here: en.wikipedia.org...<

Ps.: I don't have much experience with this source, so if you find other sources, I would be glad to check them out..

EDIT: typos and forgot to add link...

[edit on 26-10-2004 by Judge DredD]

new topics

top topics

join