It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's really killing Americans. HINT: It's not guns!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Other countries aren't quite as big as the US, but good try
. SAME arguments different day i guess....

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

It's fine if the US has a very high gun murder rate as long as it's not the #1 killer? You're comparing intentional homicides with accidents and things we cannot control. I think your attitude towards the issue is disgusting.

So is yours, you can either be free or "safe," but not both. People use gun deaths as fear mongering to scare us into giving up our rights. That is disgusting.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The tobacco use stat is surprisingly high.

I don't think this means that guns are off the hook -- it just means that having legal tobacco and illegal drugs that people grow that aren't tobacco is nonsense.

We should legalize everything and stamp a warning label on babies when they are born; "Everything may/will/going to kill you, sorry about that."

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by region331

Yes, that's a fact. Which part of the UK do you live in? Please, do tell.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
If they ban and confiscate firearms there will be a new leading cause of death.

Government ------------------------> 20,000,000

I history is any guide.
edit on 1/7/2013 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
It doesn't matter how far down the list it is, it's a lot of people. Stop trying to downplay people being murdered.

It's fine if the US has a very high gun murder rate as long as it's not the #1 killer? You're comparing intentional homicides with accidents and things we cannot control. I think your attitude towards the issue is disgusting.
edit on 6-1-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

Yeah you're right. It doesn't matter where it appears on the list, because the right to bear arms is INALIENABLE and cannot be taken away, no matter what the government does, or how much you whine and cry about it.

Even if every human being on Earth were to die from a gunshot, it STILL wouldn't matter because the right to bear arms is endowed by our creator, and exists prior to any manmade document. It CANNOT be infringed.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
A quiet mind is all you need to understand the stillness and the pece that can be attained from within

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

With a world of 7 billion (more people than rats and mice) I think we have done rather well, but we can't stop crazy and stupid people....We can limit EVERYTHING and turn EVERYONE into a bubble boy and STILL the crazy and stupid will find ways to kill themselves and others.

Is it the government's job to extend everyone's life as far as they can at the cost of everyone's freedoms? Or is it the Governments job to provide freedoms so we can live as we want to live?

I agree 100%.....

But even if we were to give up our freedoms, who is to say that would stop the crime?!
Like you stated, there will always be crazy and mentally unstable people that will find a way to harm themselves or others.

Much respect~
snarky

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Of COURSE it's guns. The thing is, the Feds really don't care if you have them. Why? Because you are ZERO threat. Drone, M1 Abrahms, etc. lol You REALLY think you are more than a bug on a windshield? They just keep you scared so you won't pay attention to what is going on.

But, hey. You gnu freaks hide in your caves and play Army. It is RIGHT where the PTB wants you, And quite frankly, it keeps you people out of our way.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FeatherofMaat

The American public constitutes the largest armed force on the planet. You are tripping the USA would falter over night! Thats not the intent though.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on whats for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep!
edit on 7-1-2013 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
If they ban and confiscate firearms there will be a new leading cause of death.

Government ------------------------> 20,000,000

I history is any guide.
edit on 1/7/2013 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

Good point.....

While we quibble over the small amount of people killed in our country by way of guns [most through criminal activity], has any one taken into consideration how many people around the World our Government kills a day???

Oh, but I guess that's different.
Yeah right......

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

It doesn't matter how far down the list it is, it's a lot of people. Stop trying to downplay people being murdered.

edit on 6-1-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

"Accidents" my ass. There are no such things as "accidents" - there is only negligence that people try to pass off as "fate" by calling their negligence an "accident".

Death is death. If it's caused by an "accident", then someone needs a time-out for their commission of a negligent homicide. There is an entire list of negligent (and some not so negligent) causes of death topping firearms. When you go after THEM, too, I'll be more convinced of your sincerity when you say "it's for the children" and speak as if you are outraged by murder.

Until then, not so much. Why don't you explain your notion of "disgusting" in light of the fact that you are concentrating on the lowest of the low factors in that listing and allowing the rest to go scott-free and take a pass?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

So? I haven't downplayed anything, I'm saying that regardless of how far down the list it is it's still not ok and it's still an issue. Comparing it to other things, especially lightning and accidents, is stupid. Stop trying to bury it under other things, most of which aren't even intentional deaths.

Sure - as soon as you stop trying to give your negligent buddies a pass and trying to hide their crimes beneath a much smaller pile of bodies - the ones put there by firearm-wielding maniacs. It makes no sense to try to hid a big body pile under a smaller one.

Go after the bigger factors first, save MORE lives.

Or could it really be that you aren't the least bit concerned with saving lives in reality? Could it be instead that you just want to exert control over others, and it's easier to do that by starting out small?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Double post, dammit!

edit on 2013/1/7 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

reply to post by snarky412

All deaths are bad, I didn't say they weren't, but I think people intentionally killing other people is a bigger problem than people accidentally dying. I don't see how you could dispute that.

"but I think people intentionally killing other people is a bigger problem than people accidentally dying.'

That, my friend, is what you call a Mental Health problem.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

All deaths are bad, I didn't say they weren't, but I think people intentionally killing other people is a bigger problem than people accidentally dying. I don't see how you could dispute that.

"but I think people intentionally killing other people is a bigger problem than people accidentally dying.'

Are you suggesting that people who kill another person are all, or mostly suffering from mental illness?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I'm against gun control, but what others have on their side is this: while guns may not kill the most people, when they are used for violence they are the worst crimes, and cause the most damage. The atrocities of this nation are commited with guns.

S&F

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufohunter16
I'm against gun control, but what others have on their side is this: while guns may not kill the most people, when they are used for violence they are the worst crimes, and cause the most damage. The atrocities of this nation are commited with guns.

S&F

Really? Look a little harder.....

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logos23

Originally posted by snarky412

Are you suggesting that people who kill another person are all, or mostly suffering from mental illness?

What sane person can kill with a conscience?

I'm merely saying that guns are inanimate objects that don't kill on their own volition.
And what stable sane person can take another's life without hesitation?
One without a Soul maybe...or one that is mentally unstable or on drugs [and thugs]

edit on 7-1-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
And what would you like me to look a little harder at?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join