It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

27 "Science-Fictions" that became "Science-Facts" in 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Found this quite an amazing read. Really cool stuff in here some of which I already knew and others I had no idea about. I'll quote some of my favorites in the topic but I'd rather you guys read on the source website.

QUADRIPLEGIC USES HER MIND TO CONTROL HER ROBOTIC ARM:

At the University of Pittsburgh, the neurobiology department worked with 52-year-old Jan Scheuermann over the course of 13 weeks to create a robotic arm controlled only by the power of Scheuermann’s mind.
The team implanted her with two 96-channel intracortical microelectrodes. Placed in the motor cortex, which controls all limb movement, the integration process was faster than anyone expected. On the second day, Jan could use her new arm with a 3-D workspace. By the end of the 13 weeks, she was capable of performing complex tasks with seven-dimensional movement, just like a biological arm.
To date, there have been no negative side effects.

GENETICALLY MODIFIED SILK IS STRONGER THAN STEEL:

At the University of Wyoming, scientists modified a group of silkworms to produce silk that is, weight for weight, stronger than steel. Different groups hope to benefit from the super-strength silk, including stronger sutures for the medical community, a biodegradable alternative to plastics, and even lightweight armor for military purposes.

INVISIBILITY CLOAK TECHNOLOGY TOOK A HUGE LEAP FORWARD:

British Columbia company HyperStealth Biotechnology showed a functioning prototype of its new fabric to the U.S. and Canadian military this year. The material, called Quantum Stealth, bends light waves around the wearer without the use of batteries, mirrors, or cameras. It blocks the subject from being seen by visual means but also keeps them hidden from thermal scans and infrared.

STEM CELLS COULD (hypothetically) EXTEND HUMAN LIFE BY OVER 100 YEARS

When fast-aging elderly mice with a usual lifespan of 21 days were injected with stem cells from younger mice at the Institute for Regenerative Medicine in Pittsburgh, the results were staggering. Given the injection approximately four days before they were expected to die, not only did the elderly mice live — they lived threefold their normal lifespan, sticking around for 71 days. In human terms, that would be the equivalent of an 80-year-old living to be 200.

SELF-DRIVING CARS ARE LEGAL IN NEVADA, FLORIDA, AND CALIFORNIA:

Google started testing its driverless cars in the beginning of 2012, and by May, Nevada was the first state to take the leap in letting them roam free on the roads. With these cars logging over 300,000 autonomous hours so far, the only two accidents involving them happened when they were being manually piloted.

CUSTOM JAW TRANSPLANT CREATED WITH 3-D PRINTER:

A custom working jawbone was created for an 83-year-old patient using titanium powder and bioceramic coating. The first of its kind, the successful surgery opens the door for individualized bone replacement and, perhaps one day, the ability to print out new muscles and organs.

Click this link to read about all 27 ------> myscienceacademy.org...

These advances really give me a good feeling not only about humanity but also our future. I hope they do the same for you.

PS to mods: Sorry If I break a rule, posted in an inappropriate section, or committed any other ATS infractions. Please take any action necessary to "fix" the thread.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Interesting thread indeed, too bad it's already been posted though.

See Thread Here

If you guys like this kind of thread, check out my thread about what the next 100 years will bring. Some amazing predictions are made on there with odds included.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheProphetMark
Interesting thread indeed, too bad it's already been posted though.

See Thread Here

If you guys like this kind of thread, check out my thread about what the next 100 years will bring. Some amazing predictions are made on there with odds included.

oii. I put into the search 27.

This can be deleted I'll just go put a S/F on that thread.

thanks for the heads up
edit on 5-1-2013 by IamRoy08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Strange
I have read about all the things on this thread already. I didn't look at the other ones offsite yet. I gotta quit reading so much.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by IamRoy08

I believe you. Nothing showed up for me either when I used your link, until I changed the number to 25. I'm glad some people actually do use the Search function.

I was going to say you're thread was better had you included all '27' in your thread. The original thread the OP never had the chance to finish. A little advice, use tinypic.com and the [IMG] tags to insert pictures in your new threads you decide to make. Not only it looks better, but it will also save us from having to click the external links to view the pictures.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by IamRoy08

lol fabric that is an invisibility cloak lol i have seen this before some japenese kid used a coat and a projector to make it happen bending light my arse. What your seeing is OLED or organic LED like your television uses except its bendable for example you can roll it up then put it on your wall. The organic material in it doesn't produce heat like normal tvs do. You then line the OLED with anti infrared material so you don't give off a heat signature.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Many amazing discoveries- but, based on our current state of society, they will probably only be available to the ultra rich for ultra high prices and do nothing for regular people.

new topics

top topics

join