It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25 Science Fictions That Became Science Facts In 2012

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+115 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Fictions that became facts in 2012
My top twenty five
1The Higgs-Boson Particle Was Discovered

Over the summer, multinational research center CERN confirmed it had discovered a particle that behaved enough like a Higgs boson to be given the title

www.forbes.com...

2 Quadriplegic Uses Her Mind to Control Her Robotic Arm

At the University of Pittsburgh, the neurobiology department worked with 52-year-old Jan Scheuermann over the course of 13 weeks to create a robotic arm controlled only by the power of Scheuermann's mind.

gizmodo.com...

3 DARPA Robot Can Traverse an Obstacle Course

Once the robot figures out how to do that without all the wires, humanity is doomed.

4 Genetically Modified Silk Stronger Than Steel

At the University of Wyoming, scientists modified a group of silkworms to produce silk that is, weight for weight, stronger than steel. Different groups hope to benefit from the super-strength silk

www.bbc.co.uk...

5 Spray On Skin

ReCell by Avita Medical is a medical breakthrough for severe burn victims

The technology uses a postage stamp–size piece of skin from the patient, leaving the donor site with what looks like a rug burn. Then the sample is mixed with an enzyme harvested from pigs and sprayed back onto the burn site.

news.discovery.com...

6 DNA Was Photographed for the First Time

Using an electron microscope, Enzo di Fabrizio and his team at the Italian Institute of Technology in Genoa snapped the first photos of the famous double helix

www.newscientist.com...

7 James Cameron Reached the Deepest Known Point in the Ocean

Cameron was the first solo human to reach the bottom of the Mariana Trench. At 6.8 miles deep, it is perhaps more a more alien place to scientists than some foreign planets are

news.nationalgeographic.com... /

8 Invisibility Cloak Technology Took a Huge Leap Forward

British Columbia company HyperStealth Biotechnology showed a functioning prototype of its new fabric to the U.S. and Canadian military this year. The material, called Quantum Stealth, bends light waves around the wearer without the use of

www.toxel.com...

9 Stem Cells Could Extend Human Life by Over 100 Years

When fast-aging elderly mice with a usual lifespan of 21 days were injected with stem cells from younger mice at the Institute for Regenerative Medicine in Pittsburgh, the results were staggering.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

10 3-D Printer Creates Full-Size Houses in One Session

The D-Shape printer, created by Enrico Dini, is capable of printing a two-story building, complete with rooms, stairs, pipes, and partitions. Using nothing but sand and an inorganic binding compound, the resulting material has the same durability as reinforced concrete with the look of marble.

www.gizmag.com...

I will post the others when i have had a kip

Cran

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

Pretty amazing stuff. Are you sure that picture of invisible cloaking wasn't from the Harry Potter movie?

I don't think some people would want to live another 100 years. Some people have some tough lives. I wonder if their skin will never wrinkle.

When are they going to find a cure for baldness! That's what I'm waiting for!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
S + F

I love threads like this and I can't wait for the rest of them
Thanks

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Inspiring thread friend! We live in such fascinating times. I look forward to the years to come and the new discoveries that are just sitting there, patiently waiting to be found. Thanks for posting. S&F

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

That Darpa robot video was scary. It went running down that hallway. I imagine the goal is foot soldiers and swat teams of these buggers. Fully armed, night vision, thermal sights, armor, gas, stun, with robo - dogs.

"Attention! This is BOT SWAT! We are here to help! Do not move! I said zzzt, shwwoosh, Blam, Blam --- DO NOT MOVE!"

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
UNBELIEVABLE!!! Thanks for sharing! Im all for technology and its advancements! Just goes to show that science fiction can become reality.... imagine the next decade....

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Hadn't 'pictured' DNA double helix looks that tightly coiled, till now!

To bad Re Cell re-epithelialization spray requires porcine enzymes (why?)

Stem cells extending HUMAN life 100 years that one I gotta see proof & logistics to believe it, if legal & ethical, that is.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
the porcine enzymes is close enough to human to allow it to work and who would you get the enzymes from if it had to come from people. the stem cell thing for extending life sounds like it might work but unless strict regulation came about i could see horrible abuse imagine all the poor people forced to give up stem cells so rich could keep on living. it would turn us into real vampires the rich old living off the blood or life essence of the very poor and yes it would happen the rich old bs want to live and they have the power to get what they want.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

While some of these are amazing feats, Higgs-Boson was never fiction, it was theoretical. Very different. I also take issue with the invisibility cloak, as that is a doctored image and not real. Some of these achievements are truly extraordinary though.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Oh how cool...there's hope for me, I was thinking....maybe in 2013 I could.....just maybe since I wanted a......maybe I get a......man, that would fun....
.....The new me!!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
There is no issue on stem cells. The Japanese synthesized stem cells from just using your skin about 4 years ago.

www.bloomberg.com...

Discovered by the Japanese scientist Shinya Yamanaka, the method creates stem cells without using and destroying human embryos.

A little something extra I've just found out. They've apparently took t-lymphocytes that were specific to targeting cancerous cells reverted them back to their stem-cell stage then cultured them and they were able to keep those antigen specific receptors which were actively working afterwards.

www.eurekalert.org...

For more information please contact: Juliette Savin Global Relations Office RIKEN Tel: +81-(0)48-462-1225 / Fax: +81-(0)48-463-3687 Mail: [email protected] Reference Raul Vizcardo, Kyoko Masuda, Daisuke Yamada, Tomokatsu Ikawa, Kanako Shimizu, Shin-ichiro Fujii, Haruhiko Koseki, Hiroshi Kawamoto "Regeneration of human tumor antigen-specific T cells from iPS cells derived from mature CD8+ T cells." Cell Stem Cell, 2013 RIKEN is Japan's flagship research institute devoted to basic and applied research. Over 2500 papers by RIKEN researchers are published every year in reputable scientific and technical journals, covering topics ranging across a broad spectrum of disciplines including physics, chemistry, biology, medical science and engineering. RIKEN's advanced research environment and strong emphasis on interdisciplinary collaboration has earned itself an unparalleled reputation for scientific excellence in Japan and around the world. Website: www.riken.jp Find us on Twitter at @rikenresearch

Thanks for making me look up the stem cell thing again. As, for the rest of the list; it's pretty cool. Especially the silk, stronger than steel. I wouldn't mind some armor made from that.
edit on 6-1-2013 by Abstruse because: Extra Information

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace

KIP
A kip is a non-SI unit of force. It equals 1,000 pounds-force, used primarily by American architects and engineers to measure engineering loads.

strange fellow you are.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SecludedGamer

a kip usually feels like you've released a bit of weight.

that DNA pic is awesome
edit on 6-1-2013 by ZeussusZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Nice thread but what is the point in saying this? You should just end it there or finish it properly when you have had your "kip" or even better just tell people to follow the link of where you copy and pasted this list from...
buzzfeed
Anyway some of those tech were amazing, the in visibility cloak blew my min
edit on 6-1-2013 by misscurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Don't mean to bust your balls mate.

invisibility cloak

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx

invisibility cloak

He's right, it says right there on your link that the invisibility cloak images are mock-ups to show how the technology is supposed to work, and not real examples.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx

invisibility cloak

The only balls busting are yours. I am well aware of this invention and have read up on it.

For security reasons, Cramer won't exactly explain or show how the light bending works, and has been ordered to keep the invention hidden, much like the object it is covering.

He can, however, provide mock-up photos to demonstrate how the fabric is meant to work.

Those are all photoshopped. None of them are the invention working. You should double check before you post something so you dont look dumb in the future.
edit on 6-1-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Not sure if this is on your list. But researchers at Umass have created nano-technology that employs biomimickry of defensins to kill ALL bacterial and fungal infections. This includes ALL antibiotic resistant superbugs. Resistance to the nanotechnology has not been seen and should theoretically be impossible due to the methodology employed.

www.investors.polymedix.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Excellent Post

S&F for you my friend

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
When i was a lad i wished for Star trek technology and wondered if we would have it when i was all grown up. Guess i have my answer. We create such wonders yet still have the capacity for such evil. IMHO 20-50 years from now transporter technology and FTL travel may quite possibly be a reality. I will be 75 in the year 2050 my greatest hope is to see us leave this rock and be off to the stars!

All we need to do is get rid of the politicians and bankers and we will be half way there! Star and Flag.
edit on 6-1-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join