It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self incrimination by Social Media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
www.dailydot.com...

A brief summary to the linked story:

This teenager admitted on facebook that he was driving drunk and, at some point was involved in a "hit and run" situation.

As a result of this post, the authorities were able to match the timing of the post to an incident report involving a "hit and run".

The link provides the whole story.

There are many online examples of people admitting to their crimes and social disgressions....I'm a bit new to this strata of society, not only from a technological aspect but, a social one as well.

There seems to be a false sense of protection....

For some reason, there are internet and social media posters that think whatever they post online will never find it's way back to them on a personal level.

It just doesn't seem to occur to this generation of youth that their actions have real consequences.

Am I wrong about this observation? What am I missing?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

I think some folks believe what they post on Facebook or Twitter is private and only seen by their friends. So they make these incriminating posts, thinking they're doing no more than the equivalent of chewing the fat in a friends basement.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

I think some folks believe what they post on Facebook or Twitter is private and only seen by their friends. So they make these incriminating posts, thinking they're doing no more than the equivalent of chewing the fat in a friends basement.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Anything you say or write can be used against you. But what is getting questionable is what "weight" will these posts have in a case. Like I said in another case the court might say since you use FB an twitter to update REAL events or thoughts they might be able to say since we can back up 99 of your statements as legitimate then this 100th one with no evidence is real too.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread915227/pg1#pid15678726]post by marble

edit on 5-1-2013 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-1-2013 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join