It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible cure for liver cancer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Sc ientist have found a gene in the cells of livercancer that turns off the leathality of it. The study was based on the gene Myc.

Here is a quote from the article.

The California team based their studies on mice with genetically modified liver cells. The type of cell that becomes cancerous is called an epithelial cell, and these form cancers in breast, colon and prostate. So the same approach might work in all of them. Liver cancer is common and difficult to treat.

The study hasnt been done on human subjects yet, but with thier success, Id be willing to bet it wont take long

Here is the article:
www.buzzle.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
A possible cure for cancer really intrest noone? C'mon, this is a big find!

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Well I'm a little skeptical. Epithelial cells are just one of the many types of tissue, and going so far as to say there is a cure for liver, breast, or colon cancer is a little misleasing. Epithelial cells are found in linings. Linings of mammary glands, linings of the colon, lining of your mouth, tubes in the kidneys and so on. Not sure where they are in the liver though...

These mice also had genetically modified cells, how would this work on real cells? They also had to eat a very specific antibiotic diet. Show me a human who can do that, and I'll show you a liar

They also found, according to the article, that some of the normal cells still "retained the ability to become cancerous" which suggests that while they might stop this cancer once, the likelyhood that cancer will come up again and again is high.

Also, no offense meant, but the source is a little sketchy. I'd like to see a peer reviewed journal article on this, and I'll have a look at the university professional journal databases and post anything I find.

I'd be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath over this.

new topics

join