It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Horror Book Recommendations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
So, I'm looking for some recommendations for very new horror fiction. Like, last 10 or 12 years or so.

Some stuff I've read recently:

Penpal by Dathan Auberach- This started out as a bunch of posts on Reddit that you can still read here. From what I understand there's not a huge difference between the book version and the Reddit posts. The stories are about a young adult man remembering very strange things that happened to him when he was just a kid. It's pretty good. I read the book in about a day and it definitely creeped me out. The best stories are "Balloons" and "Boxes." They're all pretty good though, the only sort of weak one, I thought, was "Maps."

Teatro Grottesco by Thomas Ligotti- Another book of short stories. I haven't read through them all, but there's a few that really got under my skin. The big one is The Red Tower. I don't know what it is about that story but it frightened me when I read it at night. Other good ones were "The Clown Puppet" and "Purity." His stuff is very nihilistic. A lot of people compare him to Lovecraft.

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski- Currently reading. I don't know if I'll be able to get through it, this is my third try or so, because it's a very dense book. It's about a guy who find a book written by a blind man about a movie that's a documentary about a house that is bigger on the inside than on the outside. In the world of the book the documentary doesn't exist and all the many articles and research papers that blind man cites in his book aren't real. It's a real trip. I'm going to try to get through it this time. I do remember the last time getting very unsettled and not understanding why. It's weird how creepy houses can be.

So, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I'm in a similar boat to you, although I've still got a few older ones to get through before i move onto the modern era.

I'm assuming you've read the likes of SK's The Stand, IT & Pet Semetary??
Herbert, Barker, Koontz and Hutson have had their fair share of decent books too.

But back to your original question, this link may be of some help to you.

m.complex.com...

Hope you find a good one!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

Yeah, I've read my share of King.

Thanks for the list. There's a few I've read (Heart-Shaped Box, World War Z, Lullaby) and a few I forgot I wanted to read (Terror, Choir of Ill Children) and some interesting new ones.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SaulGoodman

I enjoyed heart shaped box too. Actually i found another of Joe Hill's called Horns. It has great reviews so I've added it to my book list tonight, along with;

Something wicked comes this way - Ray Bradbury
The Pine deep trilogy (3 books) - Jonathan Maberry

I wouldn't have found any of these books if i hadn't seen your post, so thanks!

Oh and I've noted the other books you've mentioned too

edit on 5/1/13 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I just finished reading "14" by Peter Clines and while I'd hesitate to call it a horror book, I will.

It's about an apartment building in Los Angeles. The rent is ridiculously low, there's mutant cockroaches, no two rooms have the same layout and there's a lot of other strange things going on. Most of the book is the characters discovering the mysteries of the building.

As an added bonus for some there's a Lovecraftian touch to the book. I'm not a big Lovecraft fan, but I did like what Clines did in the book.

It's nothing mind blowing, but it is a really fun read.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Graham Masterton and Ramsey Campbell are two authors that they haven't let me down.Every single book i read is rated (by me) from very good to awesome.
They have books written the past 10-12 years,but if you haven't read their older works,i suggest you take a look.Especially Masterton will make you lose your sleep

Graham Masterton books

Ramsey Campbell

edit on 7-2-2013 by Phantom traveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

Sounds promising. Where do you recommend I start with either of them?

top topics

join