I found this really good article about coughing...especially after I was reading about all the influenza outbreak happening in BC, Canada, and the
I highly recommend you read it, and I have been following it to a tee!
Constant Cough? Are There Reasons You Can't Stop Coughing?
If you have been coughing for days or even weeks, you probably need to see a doctor for a diagnosis. The possibilities for the cause of constant
coughing, however, are a lot more than a lingering cold or bad allergies.
What are the most common causes of chronic cough?
Allergies to dander, dust, and pollens
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Gastroesophageal reflux disease
Other respiratory infections
Now this is the part in the article I found the most useful as I related it it to the common influenza going around.
What To Do About Chronic Cough?
What can you do about chronic cough? Aside from treating the underlying disease conditions, try these helpful considerations.
• Take a vitamin B supplement that includes vitamin B6. You may not experience greater lung capacity, but you will probably
experience less wheezing and coughing.
• Eat a piece of fruit every day and servings of green vegetables several times a week. Studies in the UK of people with
asthma, chronic bronchitis, or COPD who never ate fruit or vegetables have consistently noted dramatic improvement after including even one serving of
fruit and vegetables a day in the diet.
• Indentify your personal coughing triggers, whether they are tobacco smoke, some frequently eaten food, fumes, dust, or
pollen, and make a point of avoiding them.
So how to reduce a cough? Well, using the information above, I have populated a formula I use which helps a lot:
- Vitamin B100 (1 tab a day)
- Vitamin C (4000-6000 mg daily)
- Zinc (180 mg per day)
- Herbal Tea (no sugar)
- Onions (2-3 per day)
- Garlic (1 clover per day)
- Broccoli & spinach leaves (2-3 handfuls daily)
- Apple, bananas, grapes (1 handful daily)
- Halls Mentho-Lyptus (cherry flavor) - I pop these things one after another and usually end up going through 3 packs over two days...great for
keeping inflammation down and clearing nasal passages too
- Benylin Extra Strength (All-In-One Cold & Flu) - follow as directed (2 tbsp every 6 hrs)
I have had a bad flu starting 2 nights ago. What I did yesterday was follow the above recipe and today I have been feeling so much better. I coughed
like every minute or two when I first got sick to now maybe once every 15 or 20 minutes.
If you have anything else to add, that would be great. I wish everyone a healthy winter season, and look forward to your thoughts!
edit on 5-1-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: changed thread title and added
notesIMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Sat Jan 5 2013 by
DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quote, ex tags added