It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you trust your own reasoning?.. .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Can you?.. .Or if you suspect yourself to be delusional you can just follow the popular opinion of the majority?.. .Which sounds paradoxical because basically it means that you don;t trust your own reasoning and you trust in what others said,basically that is still your opinion haha.. .Now now I know that there might be a lot of conspiracy theorists lurking around here.. .just don;t go overboard and apply paranoia in every situation.. .(ok,sorry.. . if I offended anyone.. .).. .

Peace.. .

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
If through reasoning you find that you can't trust your reasoning, then you can't trust that your reasoning of not trusting your reasoning is reasonable. It's a vicious cycle.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I've always found a good dose of paranoia quite helpful,
but i think i'm missing your point,are you coming out of
the closet and saying your delusional ?
edit on 5-1-2013 by cjttatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantumSeeker

Our reason leads us to an understanding based on reflection of material witnessed. No one completely understands a view for what it is, but for what is is to them, and for some people they look for what it is to God and to others.
edit on 5-1-2013 by backcase because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Better question is...

Can you trust the reasoning of others?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Reasoning is based upon logic, one 's understanding of issues based upon one's experiences and education in life.

Reality of humans are based upon the 5 senses - see, touch, taste, smell, hear and the 6th sense - our mind to rationalize data to output logic.

No all humans have the same experiences and opportunities of education in life, and thus the disparity of logic by many.

Therefore, we mankind need to listen more, and learn more before we dare comtemplate reasoning. It does not mean a PHD is a know it all, for he only specializes in one subject alone amongst the many and may be out of touch with the rest, nor the cleaner, for he specializes in one subject alone as well.

It is only through sharing, discussions and debates does it help one to form and firm up his/her opinion over issues that they have interests in as well as knowledge in others that may affect indirectly to their lives.

Hearing from others is not the same as toeing their line. One has free will to choose. The more open, transparent discussions and debates one engages in, the more one learns, and learning is a never ending journey in frail mortality's allotted life span.

Good luck on your quest. Cheers! :-)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I guess it is a question of logic vs common sense.. .Someone using his logic over his intuition might think that its a good idea to make decision A,but his intuition calls him to make decision B,but for another person,his intuition could be decision A while his logic leans on decision B.. .The point is.. .wouldn't just be the same logic or intuition?.. .

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Your question doesn't really mean anything.

"Can you trust your own reasoning?"
The act of 'reasoning' is to come to a conclusion using your tools.
Naturally, in the event of pure logic being involved, you'll come to a logical answer.
If you are having difficulties with logic, you might start assuming things.

Some people will understand that they are in fact assuming certain things, which makes them understand that their conclusion is only accurate if their assumptions hold.
Some other people will not understand this and think they are right anyway.

In both cases, they "trust" their reasoning. In one of the cases, the person is aware that the conclusion may not be the correct one.

Your example about having the suspicion of being delusional is by definition impossible. You are no longer delusional if you accept the evidence.

In short, it seems like you are not making much sense.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Intuition is to take a 'leap of faith'.

Logic is based upon informed opinions.

Ultimately, no mortal can even predict the next few seconds accurately. Thus logic or intuition, it may not be the right or correct path one had chosen.

However, rest assured that ever since civilisation began, we mankind had discovered we, each of us, are proned to mistakes. It is only the acknowledgement of our mistakes, learning from it, correcting it do we progress and evolved as our ancestors had done for centuries if not millenia.

It's like taking risks. Even though we humanity know nothing ever goes to plan, but would you prefer to risk it all on a hunch, or would you prefer to take a calculated risk, with risk management to ensure as much as probabilitie of errors are eradicated?

The answer is self evident.

Leave no stone unturned and deny ignorances. That's the motto of ATS and why many contributors are here. Cheers.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

What if I got a feeling I need to take a leap of faith,but my logic is telling me otherwise,but I feel like I lack certain information to make a completely logical conclusion to take a leap of faith?.. .And that information you might not know how much is sufficient?.. .I think logic is a gun,you need sufficient ammo(information.. .) to make it work while on the other hand common sense/intuition etc. is like a sword,when you don;t have ammo,you can still fight back.. .

reply to post by Nevertheless

wait a second,isn't logic based on assumptions afterall?.. .
edit on 5-1-2013 by QuantumSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumSeeker

[color=FFB894](A) Can you?.. .Or if you suspect yourself to be delusional you can just follow the popular opinion of the majority?.. .Which sounds paradoxical because basically it means that you don;t trust your own reasoning and you trust in what others said,basically that is still your opinion haha.. .Now now I know that there might be a lot of conspiracy theorists lurking around here.. .just don;t go overboard and apply paranoia in every situation [color=7AFFDC](B).. .(ok,sorry.. . if I offended anyone.. .).. .

I can guarantee that I trust my own reasoning much more than I trust yours. I'm not even entirely sure exactly how you got from [color=FFB894]Point-A to [color=7AFFDC]Point-B.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I mean don't get too paranoid and think that just because its popular opinion it has a high chance of being wrong,I don't know that is the vibe I had from this site.. .lol,thats why i added no offense in the end.. .

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I trust my intuition. It never lets me down. Even when what I know intuitively *seems* wrong when assessed logically, I have yet to be shown wrong in the long run.

The universe doesn't run according to man's arrogant "logic". Look around you: Would you trust it implicitly?

Intuition is the way forward.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by NthOther
If through reasoning you find that you can't trust your reasoning, then you can't trust that your reasoning of not trusting your reasoning is reasonable. It's a vicious cycle.

You inhale, don't ya?

My motto:
"Don't think. Just do"
works very well for me in times of doubt.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I guess it is a question of logic vs common sense.. .Someone using his logic over his intuition might think that its a good idea to make decision A,but his intuition calls him to make decision B,but for another person,his intuition could be decision A while his logic leans on decision B.. .The point is.. .wouldn't just be the same logic or intuition?.. .

Case in point:

Logic is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Common sense is knowing it doesn't belong in a fruit salad.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I mean don't get too paranoid and think that just because its popular opinion it has a high chance of being wrong,I don't know that is the vibe I had from this site........

Well, some people really suck at it, but I think that everyone should think for themselves. Question everything, regardless of what it is; who said it; or how many people believe it. Do not simply accept something, just because someone told you it was true.

Due to that↑, I just don't consider paranoid as being a contributing factor. If and/or when I am being paranoid, I will still be thinking for myself.

edit on 1/5/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
I trust my intuition. It never lets me down. Even when what I know intuitively *seems* wrong when assessed logically, I have yet to be shown wrong in the long run.

The universe doesn't run according to man's arrogant "logic". Look around you: Would you trust it implicitly?

Intuition is the way forward.

lol,indeed, just because scientism believers cant quantize or express it verbally
it automagically gets tossed in the "faith bin".

intuition is non verbal knowledge
and has nothing to do with faith

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Logic is blind and often knows only its own past. Logic is good for playing chess but is often too slow for the needs of survival.
- The Chronicles of Dune

in answer to the OP, no you can not,
most of the reasoning people do follows a previously provided script that many times has no actual basis in reality and is more like rationalization or faith.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I think people trust their reasoning too much, and others' reasoning not enough. There are so many others and only one you. If people were less self centered and more selfless, then trusting others would hold much more value than trusting the self. But since people are self centered, you can't trust them.

You don't know everything, but there are others who know what you don't. If you trust only yourself, you will never learn anymore than you know now. There should be a balance. If all was seen as the self, then there would be balance

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Can you?.. .Or if you suspect yourself to be delusional you can just follow the popular opinion of the majority?.. .Which sounds paradoxical because basically it means that you don;t trust your own reasoning and you trust in what others said,basically that is still your opinion haha.. .Now now I know that there might be a lot of conspiracy theorists lurking around here.. .just don;t go overboard and apply paranoia in every situation.. .(ok,sorry.. . if I offended anyone.. .).. .

Peace.. .

Half of what you hear and see is real. Finding what is real is a lot of work. Some of the stuff that they tote as real is impossible for me to personally test so I find any parameters of the research and study all related research on the subject to try to find common ground and disproved evidence. I study the disproved evidence and compare it to the parameters and examine motive. I then make a conclusion and study the acceptance of the conclusion to the perception of society.

Do I trust my reasoning? Not completely. When I make a statement here I often find alternative information that was excluded from all the testing I researched. I fish on ATS to adjust my perception and improve my reasoning which is ever changing. When researching things here I find many perceptions on things from many kinds of people. I try to understand their perceptions so I can better my reasoning. I am in a constant self check mode. After adjusting your perception of reality on a correct path it is always good to go back and check all connections with related knowledge to correct them. This is time consuming. Remembering why you changed the perception is crucial, I have found many instances where something was proven wrong because the evidence was interpreted with certain parameters in mind. The person who was disproven was right but for a different reason than they quoted. I should actually keep track of all these things. I use back doors often to do my research and the evidence is hard to reproduce.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

What if I got a feeling I need to take a leap of faith,but my logic is telling me otherwise,but I feel like I lack certain information to make a completely logical conclusion to take a leap of faith?.. .And that information you might not know how much is sufficient?.. .I think logic is a gun,you need sufficient ammo(information.. .) to make it work while on the other hand common sense/intuition etc. is like a sword,when you don;t have ammo,you can still fight back.. .

As I had explained, by all means, use your intuition or logic by all means. If you do get right by intiutuion, you are just plain lucky. If you do get it right by logic, similarly, your hypothesis and the elimination of all possible errors had been skillful and great.

Thing is, how often lucky do you think you can get, when after a few lucky strikes, you think intuition of your own is a better means to get things done and resolved?

Worse is when those lucky breaks do no occur, and you start blaming every other data you had not used as being corrupted, maligned, etc, but the next time you would get it right?

This is the way addicted gamblers behaved - they lived in delusions and refused to face up to facts, and by their actions, they had not only hinder his growth, but others around him as well, espacially those who believed and trusted in him.

Using logic, at the least we can be sure that any decision made would have gone through the best risk management assesment before procedding, and vetted by not just one human, but an assembly of elected officials from diverse backgrounds and opinions, to share, discuss and debate for solutions to progress and evolve mankind whereby none gets left behind.

edit on 6-1-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join