It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Atheists are Unrelenting

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj
[
Religion is just an excuse to hide behind a wall of fairy tails and ignorance, because the world is far too scary. I was raised a christian, Lutheran to be exact. I went to church like a good little Christian, where I was taught how evil the world is, and how Satan is in everything, and that questioning anything the bible or the church says is a sin. If I thought for myself, if I didn't believe devoutly that the church was holy above all else I would spend eternity in hell. In school I did poorly because I refused to accept science as the church taught me. I was only allowed to believe what a book written two millennia ago said, and the say so of a god that as far as reality was concerned, was made up by superstitious people.
Just as every other god in history, just a more wrathful god worshipped. Y more hateful people. I forced my beliefs on people, as was righteous, I had to save them from their sinful ways. My congregation smiled on this as it had been custom for hundreds of years to "save" people, whether is be with hate, torture, or even murder, because the devil was everywhere, and anyone who disagreed with us was evil and working for him. I judged anyone who wasn't Christian, even other denominations, why? Because it was good. In my late teens I started to see many contradictions and bad things in my religion, we were supposed to be loving and caring like our god, but that was our opinion, our disguise. We weren't helping anyone, we were hurting society with our hate and predjudice.
One day in mass we discussed the westboro baptist church, and how they were " a little misguided, but had pure intentions, and good hearts." then the grip they had on my mind, the influence the church had on how I thought, shattered. I was disgusted, so much hate and no love, but supposedly the hate was out of love. I started thinking I research my religion and everything about it, shocked that I had been lied to my whole life, that the history of christianity I had been taught was a lie.

Christianity evolved from a much older religion, and story's in the bible didn't add up certain stories had been added, and some removed. Everything I wAs taught was a clever lie. Thus I did the one thing that would condemn my soul forever, I questioned my faith.
It was then that I saw everyone in my congregations true colors. They branded me with hate, saying that they were concerned is was being influenced by the devil, I suddenly felt trapped, like I was amidst some cult in a scifi nightmare. Every church was the same. I realized that these people weren't good at all, they were cold, hateful, ignorant, and mind washed. I suddenly realized how crazy they seemed. There whole lives were formed around an ancient story, their chain was fear and it bound them.

As I got older I explored more sins, exploring new religions ( pretty much similar stories) learning, human temptations, I was happy for the first time, I was free, no longer bound by fear. I had a thirst for knowledge, I learned so much, met new people of all walks of life, something the church was against because they were evil, atheists and so on. And guess what? They didn't force their beliefs on me, they weren't evil, they were good hearted, they committed actions to improve their lives and the lives of others, whereas my congregation just prayed

I broke away from religion and realized it was a vertebrae in the spine of societies flaws. I've met many Christians, I don't hate them, even though they hate me. In every one I noticed many flaws, they were not better than me, despite their beliefs. Many were two faced, ignorant beyond belief, hateful, or the friendly ones were just eager to " spread the good word." I supposedly have an above average IQ but one cannot measure intelligence, for any reference point has a cancelling greater and lesser value, thus it is irrelevant. I'm not superior to anyone, only smarter than I would've been had i remained religious. By this so-called "measurement" one might notice that the more religious one is, the further below average they fall.

I think religion is horrible, and one of man kinds greatest flaws. Nonetheless, my children will not be raised atheists nor religious, instead they will have the freedom to choose for themselves. Whatever they choose, I will love them nonetheless and support them. For it is not my right to force my beliefs on another human being. How many religious people would agree with that. If I burn in hell, then I shall do so without regret, for the chains fell and I live without fear. Peace and love to everyone, because we all deserve it, good things are not reserved for the religious.

Religion is preventing peace, it's the fuel of hate, war, and fear. Only when humanity rises above superstition and unites as a single race, will we know harmony and peace on earth.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by vaelamin
Im confused as to why atheists waste so much of there time and life arguing and whining about religion. You dont believe nor care for it yet for some reason you constantly talk about it? No wonder the bible thumpers never leave yall alone.

How can we hope to salvage the future of the Earth and mankind if everyone is devoting their life to the invisible bearded man in the sky that may or may not exist? Talk about a distraction. We have real problems that require real attention, things that prayer simply will not fix.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
It's funny how Christians will tell you about how nothing has never existed and how god probably invented the big bang! No matter which scientist gives a better description of how the world works and what started it you can be assured that religion will still say it's gods will.

Even if we sent a probe far enough to the edge of the universe and it bumped into a concrete wall the christians will jump up and say god built it.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Atheists can't explain to me how my grandmother has communicated with me three times since she died, either. They can believe or disbelieve what they want for all I care, as long as they don't try to shove their nonbelief down everyone's throa... Oh yeah, they DO that , don't they?

Got any proof that it wasn't a creation of your own mind? No? There's your explanation.

Anyway, an Atheist could believe in ghosts or whatever if they wanted to.
edit on 5-1-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I agree completely with you, they are shocked and appalled that we
refuse to play pretend with our lives and do not join in the mass
insanity that is religion, they already program many of our kids and
are trying oh so hard to attempt and force that programming on people
who want nothing to do with it.

Its a sad day when grown adults must have fairy tales just so they can
live through this life with some semblance of joy, and its a bit sick that
their joy is often rooted in ensuring the majority of the human race
will burn and suffer, i guess they figure if people wont let them murder,
maim, subjugate and enslave then they must fantasize about that
happening after they die.........

Religion is the means to get good people to do immoral things, and
i truly believe its one of the few ways that can ever happen, many of them
seem to believe that its ok to use fantasy to pass laws that directly effect
other people and seem to not only embrace that form of oppression, they
believe they are correct and moral for doing so, and they even have
the audacity to blame the current world problems on anyone but
themselves, ive seen them blame state sponsored prayer no longer
being in schools, the same sex community, the atheist community and
of course SATAN lol.

Another thing i love about all this, they have been systematically
attempting to ensure that their children do not receive proper science
education and instead wish to teach them fantasies that are based on
the bible, well all this time that's been going on a steady decline in
our competitiveness with other countries in science has occurred,
so what they want is to force us to lie and our education system to
be utterly useless, yea, that's certain to fix the problem ::face palm::

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   

edit on 6-1-2013 by Snsoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Never in all my life have I had an athiest bother me. I have however had plenty of Christians come knocking on my door trying to convert me to their religion. I could get upset about it, but I choose not to. In the end people are or rather should be free to believe whatever they like. Whatever helps them get through their lives peacefully and happy then I'm all for it. I don't particularily care for anyone trying to push their beliefs on me be it atheism and the lack of a belief in a higher power or some sort of religion and their faith.

Who cares what someone else believes anyway, more people need to just mind their own damned business.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Siberbat
reply to post by windword

Off topic response to Windword
It is interesting that you use the "Roman Catholic Church" as an example of christianity. It is not. Many of its tenents are non-biblical and is a non christian entity.
Consider the following:

No, Roman Catholicism and Christianity are not the same thing. Christianity is properly defined by certain doctrines that are revealed in the Bible. It is not defined by simply saying that as long as you believe in Jesus, you're a Christian. Mormons believe in Jesus, but their Jesus is a brother of the devil in the pre-existence. The Jesus of the Jehovah's Witnesses is Michael the Archangel. So, just saying you believe in Jesus doesn't make you a Christian. This is why the Bible tells us who Jesus really is, God in flesh, creator of the universe. Likewise, there are essential doctrines, and if any of those essential doctrines are violated, then a church would only appear to be Christian but not really be Christian. What are those doctrines? The Bible tells us. Let's take a look.

1. There is only one God and you are to serve no other gods (Exodus 20:3; Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8).
2. Jesus is both God and man (John 1:1,14; 8:24; Col. 2:9; 1 John 4:1-4).
3. Jesus rose from the dead physically (John 2:19-21; 1 Cor. 15:14).
4. Salvation is by grace through faith (Rom. 5:1; Eph. 2:8-9; Gal. 3:1-2; 5:1-4).
5. The gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus according to the scriptures (1 Cor. 15:1-4; Gal. 1:8-9).
6. God is a Trinity (Matt. 28:19; 1 Cor. 12:4-6; 2 Cor. 13:14).
7. Jesus was born of the virgin Mary (Matt. 1:25).

So, someone who is a true Christian will believe these things and not violate them. Roman Catholicism violates two of them (#1 and #4). First of all, by its practice of promoting Mary (and the Saints) to the level of God-like capabilities, they break the commandment to have no other gods before the true and living God. In Roman Catholicism, they say that Mary is the mediatrix (Catechism of the Catholic Church paragraph 969); Mary made atonement for the sins of man (Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, page 213); Mary is the subject of preaching and worship (Vatican Council II, p. 420); etc.

Also, Catholicism violates the biblical doctrine of salvation by grace through faith alone. Paul the apostle, for example, tells us in Romans 4:5, "But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness." But Roman Catholicism denies that and says, "...so that all men may attain salvation through faith, Baptism and the observance of the Commandments," (CCC, par 2068). Also, consider this:

"If any one saith, that by faith alone the impious is justified; in such wise as to mean, that nothing else is required to co-operate in order to the obtaining the grace of Justification, and that it is not in any way necessary, that he be prepared and disposed by the movement of his own will; let him be anathema" (Council of Trent, Canons on Justification, Canon 9).

So, even though Roman Catholicism claims to be Christian and that it is the one true church, it violates the essentials of the Christian faith. It goes beyond what is written in God's word (1 Cor. 4:6). It denies the sole and true sovereignty of the living God by promoting prayer to and the worship of Mary. Also, it denies justification by faith alone in Christ alone. It is not a Christian church.

I beg to differ. There are many gods; the Bible says this dozens of times. Get a bible concordance and look up the word "gods."

Just because Mary and the saints have, as you say "god-like" qualities does not mean Catholics make them into gods. At the Last Resurrection, your glorified body will be perfect-you will be immortal. You will know all things (1 Cor 13:12). That's omniscience. Those sound like "God-like" qualities to me.

You're saved by faith, but you keep it by works. Rather than repeat myself, I'll direct you to my blog entry: thelankyprophet.wordpress.com...

Mary and the saints (dead believers) are still part of the Body of Christ. They can pray for you, just as someone on Earth can.

As a Catholic, I follow the Word of God and the traditions and doctrines of Christians that have been there since the beginning. Whatever some council decides is irrelevant to me.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodreviara

You are a scholar my friend, couldn't say it better myself.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
So , you beleieved that god is in the skies looking at you ?

Then you should have modified your believe .

Not any other believer thinks like you.

I maybe think wrong things about god , but I do not know how others exactly think about guy.

And if some one told you that god is some one in the space , then think again.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Just for the record, no one in this ENTIRE thread speaks for me. Not ever. Everyone is saying "ALL ATHEISTS", generalizing an entire group of people like they know each of them personally.

Maybe people should start using words like "I" and "I'm" instead of thinking they know what an entire group of people think across the planet?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
For the record...I'm a Christian and I will not ever, nor have I ever before, forced my beliefs upon someone. I do not randomly bring Christ into conversations. I do not belittle anyone of differing beliefs...nor would I EVER think about doing so. I TRY to love each and every person I come across. It's very difficult with some...yes. But I would never in a billion years think about forcing something down their throat...that's just not what love is.

Now, on a side note, I have no problems sharing my belief in Christ with someone that is CURIOUS. You show the interest, and here I am. (You)Don't ask, (I)don't tell...

However, with this said, I would kindly ask that when you are stating things about christians that you do not generalise and speak of ALL christians that way...because truly we aren't.

Regards
A2D

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Actually it's when one stops fearing for his own life that you can know he found God.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnCreed777

This probably won't sink in but I will give it a try. It's sad that so many pastors leave the congregation feeling both defeated and paranoid for the rest of the world. It's always about Satan, can't anyone take some personal responsibility.

What I'm trying to say is I am a Christian but I did not learn the word of God from church. I learned it by listening to it on audio CD, probably 20 or more times by now. I asked God to reveal his message to me. What I can tell you is most of today's Christian churches are teaching a horrible interpretation of the bible. The message they teach is just wrong and people like you and me we can see through the BS social experiment that appears to be happening with these churches.

So I would just encourage you to read it for yourself and ask God to help you understand. I mean if you're really serious about understanding the truth, read it for yourself. Don't let anyone influence you.

edit on 6-1-2013 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I don't think atheists hold less wonder for the world. They (like all humans), hopefully, appreciate the beauty of the natural wonders around them, rather than believe in a 'wonder' that for all intents and purposes has less value on a life driven by actions of our own free will - not the will of a God, not the Christian God, nor Thor, nor Brahma.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Christianity is a joke!

There's too many organised christian religions with very opposing views and they should be viewed as such.

Imagine if we all started calling ourselves Abrahamic's?
Muslims and Jews would be included, lots of vastly different views under one name but it's really no different to the "Christians" today.

We can't prove God doesn't exist, we can however prove that various (I can't confidently say all) religious texts have blatant errors not consistent with an all knowing writer.

Sure, that could come down to the guy writing what God told him. But God would have chosen the best guy wouldn't he/she? And if it comes down to chinese whispers he/she should know that and occasionally retell the story.

Vague images in burnt toast just doesn't cut it.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Atheists can't explain to me how my grandmother has communicated with me three times since she died, either
reply to post by AwakeinNM

But I suppose the relgious could, burn you on a stake for meddling in witchcraft perhaps ?

Or is a demon pretending to ber granny ?

Let's for a moment pretend that you can prove conclusively that indeed, allthough granny be dead it is in fact her communicating with you to the point where the atheist could not dispute it.

That is all you have proven is that is indeed something occuring after death, this does not go anyway to proving that the jesus/yahweh allah god is anything more than an imaginary being.

In fact if you proved granny then this would go some way to debunking the claims of many christians, because the majority claim that the unproven resurrection is the proof of divinity, so by christian logic you now have GrannyGod.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

If I believe, then I have lost nothing if it is not true.
reply to post by LPOPranger

If you have a vicious dog that keeps jumping the fence and mauling the kids in the neighborhood, do you keep the dog? Wouldn't your neighbors demand that your dog be put down if you did nothing about it?

When you claim your Right to believe in a god, the only way you can hold onto this right is if you give the same rights to others.

Now, because of your belief in a god, this is what you've lost. On 9/11 you lost 3,000 people to vicious Islamic terrorists who totally believed that they would be rewarded in heaven. You have lost countless children by the hands of their own parents because somewhere in their religious texts it says to kill children that dishonor them. You have lost countless wives because some husbands still cling to the idea that a god gave them dominance over their women.

Your support of other gods and religions keeps jumping the fence and mauling people. For all intents and purposes, this is guilt by association. We, the atheists, will do everything in our power to put those gods down.

edit on 1/6/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   

So, at no time did nothingness exist.
reply to post by MagnificentTongue

Excellent! Can you see that by understanding this one simple statement you agree that because a state of absolute nothing cannot exist, then by default this state of somethingness must have always existed in one form or another? This vast space we occupy had to have always been here, and wasn't created.

What you are claiming is that a being outside of this space created this space. This assumption is still following the idea that there was nothing here. So, what was here before this god made the universe - a big block of nothing? Can you understand how that doesn't make sense?

As for science claiming there was nothing before the big bang, I'm seeing more and more physicists discussing what was before the BB. And thank god for that!

edit on 1/6/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. - Gen 1:1-2

Technically speaking, it doesn't say anywhere that there was nothing. It doesn't say that something came from nothing.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join