It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Atheists are Unrelenting

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

What's my excuse for my avatar? Didn't know I needed one? It's a joke of sorts that I made on December 22nd. There's my excuse. Happy now?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by backcase
reply to post by ChristianJihad

I would rather give you the spirit of discernment, but it takes humility for a man to ask for the gifts of God.

Ah I see, when in doubt fall back on the good old xtian pseudo logic - spout some religious mumbo jumbo poke out the tongue kick a shin and run away .

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

An eternity (as in eternal damnation) is an infinite amount of time. Mathematically then, we need to treat eternity like its numerical equivalent (or conceptual, I guess), "Infinity". Now, what is infinity + 1? That's right, it's infinity. What's infinity times 2 (This would be the amount of time in damnation you would spend for having sinned twice)? Infinity times 2 is also infinity. What is infinity times infinity? Infinity. Infinity to the infinitieth power? Infinity. Get the idea?
reply to post by MagnificentTongue

MT, I apologize for sounding sarcastic, but I can't help it. I am SO glad that your god took the time to sit down and explain all of this to you. Otherwise no one would ever have known how the system of forgiveness works.

Um...God
did
tell you this, right?
You're not just making it all up, or someone other human told you this. Right?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

If I was your Grandpa; I would be ashamed! Actually, I am probably way more educated than you and for a 40 year old you must really be lame! I have over 700 people who depend on me for paychecks every week and my 'GRANDPA" A$$ has done just fine without your advise. If you really are 40 something then you must have failed somewhere along the way to be so bitter. Just because I don't agree with the OP does not make my opinion any less valid.
I don't spell check every word and I did not know I was in a spelling bee; but, if that is the best you got then I am doing fine. I don't look up the birth dates of people on ATS; it really is not that important to me. However, I stand corrected and thank you for pointing that out; now I am even more convienced we are lost,

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LPOPranger
reply to post by jiggerj

You must be very young and full of what someone has told you. I would bet the farm you have NEVER been in combat or feared for your life; because you would not take this line. I have been with many "Atheists" in combat and it only lastest for about one patrol and that was it! The will be praying to a srtick of wood or a rock before it is said and done. Talk you crap and try and convience yourself you are right but in the back of your mind will be that little doubt and it will overwhelm you in your moment of death or the possibility of death. I would also guess you are a 20 something that don't know a hole in the groound from his A$$hole???? I've seen people like like who talk a good game until it is time to check out and you are the FIRST one to ask for help to find God.
I only wish you the best and really don't care what you have to say in return; I have seen thousands like you and they all beilieved in something when the reality of death was upon them. It is easy to be a "Keyboard Commando" and talk you dribble when there is no price to pay. I would venture to guess that you have lived a very sheltered life with Mommy and Daddy or they bank role you; even though you are why beyond the age of resposibility. I would love to take a person like you into combat and watch you pee down your leg in the first fire fight! You would change you dog tags from Atheist to what ever you could find real quick.
Talk your smack if it makes you feel better; and I will not say another word except at the end of it all when you draw you final breath you will change your position on what you say here; I have seen it too many times and it is ALWAYS the same.

Ahhh, fearing for one's life proves the existence of god. Good to know!

Jeez!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LPOPranger

Not even going to ask how 700 people came to be reliant on your paycheck.. but anyway, again you are over doing it with the assumptions, (ie I'm lame, I failed some where along the line??) You seem very bitter. I'm done with you. Good day.
edit on 5-1-2013 by imawlinn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by backcase

I guess I would be considered atheist as I dont put much thought or belief in a God. I dont really think about it nor do I try to convince people to come to my side of thinking. I dont bash religious people nor do I mock their religion. I simply say" I'd rather keep my religious beliefs and thoughts on God to myself" and then choose to not discuss it. Its simple and easy and avoids conflict.
Im not pessimistic in the least. I have high hopes and believe in the good in people. I am content in life and very happy with the way things are going. I think you may have encountered a few bad apples and are applying that to everyone.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by imawlinn

You yourself seem like more of a keyboard commando than the op. Not everyone will be clammoring for a god to pray for in combat situations, as you stated. Just because you witnessed a few scared young men, scared out of their wits, look to magic beings for comfort, doesn't mean all will follow suit. Which brings up a good point, religion is a fear based activity. Do this or this will happen, believe this or this will happen. It's all just a bunch of bs used to minipulte the simple minded masses. Working rather well too I might add.

Ugh, yes it's me again. Hi, I just wanted to point out that war is a fear based activity, the "simple minded masses" who put their trust in men for their safety sent those men to hide behind helmets vests tanks ranks and rifles as if those soldiers would magically save them and give them free speech. It is founded on lies.
The only security soldiers are capable of offering is a FEELING of security, and for a lot of us, the government is a great source of feeling of instability, simply because they took a task they were never capable of fulfilling.

What would those soldiers think, if there was no need for war...see, I can come up with loaded questions too.
You do realize that the soldiers were scared ultimately because they had signed a contract, to have some hitman take aim on their own life?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

That is a good point! No fearing for ones life is not the reason for the belief in God. It is the human need to beleive that once you die there is more to life than the everyday crap we deal with. It is only when you have come to terms with maybe I will die today that you start thinking about it.
I am opened minded enough to admit. I have no concrete proof to show you. I look at it this way; If I believe, then I have lost nothing if it is not true. However, if it is true; I have gained everything. I respect your opinion; just trying to make you think about it a little. I am gonna crash now; wishing you only the best. Good bye.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Atheists can't explain to me how my grandmother has communicated with me three times since she died, either. They can believe or disbelieve what they want for all I care, as long as they don't try to shove their nonbelief down everyone's throa... Oh yeah, they DO that , don't they?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

You seemed to be confused; I provide the 700 people with paychecks! You know I have ADP draft it from my business account every two weeks and it provides them a paycheck. Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions there oh sage of knowledge. If you drive a car; it's drive train (or most of it) was built by my plants.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LPOPranger

If I was your Grandpa; I would be ashamed! Actually, I am probably way more educated than you and for a 40 year old you must really be lame! I have over 700 people who depend on me for paychecks every week and my 'GRANDPA" A$$ has done just fine without your advise. If you really are 40 something then you must have failed somewhere along the way to be so bitter. Just because I don't agree with the OP does not make my opinion any less valid.
I don't spell check every word and I did not know I was in a spelling bee; but, if that is the best you got then I am doing fine. I don't look up the birth dates of people on ATS; it really is not that important to me. However, I stand corrected and thank you for pointing that out; now I am even more convienced we are lost,

Well, when someone's debating skill is to trash his opponent instead of offering intelligent points to substantiate his own claims, we can't help but think this person is highly uneducated and not worth listening to.

I should have this post deleted for being off topic, but maybe you can be steered in the right direction.

How does you being someone's sarcastic grandpa prove the existence of god?
How does 700 people's paycheck prove the existence of god?
How does calling someone lame prove the existence of god?

Can you at least try to focus on whatever is relevant in this thread?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I understand how what I wrote could be confusing. Nothingness is the absence of all things. This includes time. So, at no time did nothingness exist. Therefore, Nothingness technically has never existed. However, it is the way we assume it must have been - something from nothing. This is the same thing that scientists claim, that all of the sudden - bang! - something out of nothing. I was phrasing it in a way that would be familiar to most people that have struggled with the idea.

To correct any assumptions you may have made about my argument: As a matter of fact, I believe God always has been and always will be. That even when you get infinitely close to nothingness, you will never reach nothingness. Without the existence of something, nothing, being itself a thing, is not. It is by definition, itself - nothing - that which does not exist. God always has been and always will be. He is inevitable, as the origin of all things.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Not EVERY Atheist wants to Disprove God per'se, or for that matter, convert anyone. I for one would like a simple answer like anyone else. I do not believe in God, simply because there is no way to Scientifically show he is here, on the same page, can not say he is not either. HOWEVER, I am MORE inclined to believe in the fact there is no creator based upon the knowledge we have gained thus far, the only REAL "evidence" people have FOR God, is the fact that SOME are visited and get to see him?
So, one thing I have always pondered, is that, if God can come here, visit people, give them VAST amounts of knowledge, so much so that like someone said earlier, you can not know how you know things, you just know. With that given ability & knowledge, why then do we constantly improve our Sciences? Why can not God simply show up in my office tomorrow with a Latte & some conversation? People have 'Spoken' with God by demanding to, whether a loss of faith or a simple curiosity has made them, well, I ask Politely, and yet I see no God? I will even buy the Latte's!! Still, No god? So REALLY? "I just know." "... mysterious ways." "... 'cause he says so." C'mon here, I only am the way I am from common sense, so by that logic, if 73% of the world remains in a belief of SOME form of a God(s), than 73% of the world lacks common sense? I must say, that thought frightens me!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Atheists can't explain to me how my grandmother has communicated with me three times since she died, either. They can believe or disbelieve what they want for all I care, as long as they don't try to shove their nonbelief down everyone's throa... Oh yeah, they DO that , don't they?

I won't try to explain it, Awake. Three days after my brother died I was outside having a smoke when a cloud passed by. The front of this massive cloud was the PERFECT image of my brother's face. I mean, it was Perrrrfect!
Some want to automatically jump to supernatural explanations, while I have to ask, why just my brother? I've known lots of people that died and I didn't get a cloud from them. So, until I get another cloud face I HAVE to conclude that my brother's cloud face was just coincidence.

You say your grandmother communicated not once, but three times. Now, I don't know what you mean by communicated, but if she spoke to you in a way that could have been recorded, or if she slid things across a table (three times!) I would definitely believe it too.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Who is we? You and imawilan?? I sent you several post and agreed with you on several points; but you did not reply. I only answered imawilan questions/statements. So.....it is okay for imawilan to jump in and flame me, but when I respond it is not okay? I NEVER ask this person for an opinion; I was addressing you and they jumped in with the "Grandpa" crap not me.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Ok maybe someone can define what they understand by "atheist" because im having trouble identifying myself throught many POVs here...

Im an atheist,yet i understand theists of all religions.Some people need God(s) in there life and if they find satisfaction worshipping God(s),i say good for them and keep on....I need answers and on my journey to those answers i have come to understand at least the abrahamic religions,found patterns going back to the earliest civilizations...

I have decided not to rely on any (gods) to decide my future,but i also know something cannot come out of nothing...so you see,just because i know neither the abrahamic god, nor any god(s) ever written down in clays or tablets is responsible for the creation of the universe(s), doesnt mean i do not approach the possibility of a CREATOR...A creator who most likely has never...isnt...or will ever mingle in mankind business...My definition of The CREATOR doesnt involve jealousy like most god(s) from most religions and yes the abrahamic one too.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

There are 2 ways in which people can come to believe in a thing. One is through direct exposure/observation. That would be the one in which God sits me down and tells me directly. The second way is through logic. Humans try to explain all things through logic. Even scientists. So, when I find a mathematical truth in scripture - and yes, I understand truth, logic, and math (kind of daunting, I know) - I tend to believe it. If you tell me 2 + 2 = 4, I agree because it is true. It doesn't matter if you've said anything else that's false. If Hitler says 2 + 2 = 4, I agree, because it is true. Doesn't matter if we hate him. Same goes for any source. Mathematical truth in the Bible is as true as mathematical truths from your Atheist champions (and I am not saying that all of the things these "champions" say are true, obviously). I have observed through scripture and believed from a lot of vetting of ideas and theories and religions and opinions and arguments and laws and equations, that God is good and that he is the creator and definer of all things, and the origin of all orders and systems. All of which require logic. Hence the DNA, if you will, of all things is logic. So, I believe that truth obtained through logic is trustworthy, and since I believe logic is how we all can understand things, I feel it's ok to share - as what I said is logically true. We would all prefer that God just do it the way we want Him to, because we're all selfish, dumb humans. He doesn't though. Just one of the perks of being God, I guess. Anyhow, did you just want to mock me, or all of humanity?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Ahhh the classic "he started it"! Actually, last time I checked, this was a discussion board. And when I saw that you implied that the op didn't know his arse from a hole in the ground, when clearly he does kno the diffetence, I felt compelled to respond. At which point, the attack were launched my way. Get your story straight.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by wildapache

I think it is what you decide it is? For the sake of conversations & arguments, I say I'm Atheist being as that is the closest label I can identifiably give myself. However, whatever label anyone falls under, we are all seemingly human, in which case I say, to each their own! I don't try to convert, nor do I want to have someone try to convert me, I do enjoy every ones side of the argument, and don't s**t on anyone for their beliefs. I've drawn the personal conclusion their is no God, but remain open to any and every possible argument for our existence, as nothing yet has come close to a better than 10% feasible option.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join