It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did you name your kids the way you did ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
OK
I'll start, my first son was called Lee (a hebrew word meaning to me, or mine as such). Lee unfortunately died from bleeding on the brain caused by a premature birth, the technology was not as advanced then as it is now.

My daughter was named in the family tradition of using Anne as second name for the first born girl, but as a homage to Lee we combined the two names and she is hence Lianne.

My second son was always destined to be Kylan to know his celtic roots (from his dad), but I was in Israel and the ex wife rejected it as it "sounded silly" so he ended up being named Elae after king David's most trusted general.

I was named after a guy that saved my dad's life and then, as a second name, after my maternal grandfather.

Just thought it may be fun to delve into the way we think and why we name our kids the way we do. The current Mrs Cody wants a kid, but I want a dog, so we agreed that we can have a kid if I get to call him/her fido

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
My sons have my initials and my daughters both have my wife's middle name somewhere in their name.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
My kids have very pretty names, but very random ones. Both daughters do have 2 names as is kindoff a family tradition. All the boys in the family, save a few, have 1 name. The generation preceeding mine have alot of being named after parents/grandparents and such. In my family I can see that the way baby's are named is changing. naming them after familymembers is becoming less and less a habit and often people chose a random name that "rings well".

Personally I dont really see value in wich standard is used when naming your child, except for the fact that you kindoff force a god-father/mother relationship onto 1 specific person when naming them after familymembers. Wich I dont really see as a good thing.

A name serves a clear purpose. To be able to differentiate easily between people and to be easily identified as the individual beings we are. So I see an added value in picking a nice and practical name. nothing more.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Hmm no kids.

But please parents. Stop naming your kids stupid things. It's not clever to call your kid absedy and spell it abcde - they will become adults and you will become infirm. Think about that.

no more adolf & aryan and no more cinnamon bush.

Name young adults. Not puppets.

Thank you, adieu.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by faceoff85

Individual is the point
So as we launch our kids into the future did we arm them with a name to be proud of ?
I still call my son Kylan it's a standing joke but he understands and is currently researching celts for a school project.
Proud roots to follow and individualism installed (his mum isn't too chuffed but hey that's her problem).

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Respect
pinktutuupbum isn't a consideration .................................. yet

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I named my twin boys Mario and Luigi after the computer game characters.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
No kids here but I raise canines and they're all named after guitar brands - a practice I started when I had cats.
My bully dogs are named after Resonator guitars, so I'm already running out of names for those guys.

ganjoa

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

My old dog was onitz witching hour but answered to Dylan because he always looked stoned.
My Gibson is simply "my lover" hardly inspiring but heartfelt

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I chose not to name mine after any family members and though fairly unusual for the

time are now fairly 'run of the mill' names

I have researched my family tree back to 1700, the days when family names were

given generation, after generation, and two and three names at a time! It was hard work

tracing people because very few were generally known by their given name using one of

their other names.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
OK
I'll start, my first son was called Lee (a hebrew word meaning to me, or mine as such). Lee unfortunately died from bleeding on the brain caused by a premature birth, the technology was not as advanced then as it is now.

My daughter was named in the family tradition of using Anne as second name for the first born girl, but as a homage to Lee we combined the two names and she is hence Lianne.

My second son was always destined to be Kylan to know his celtic roots (from his dad), but I was in Israel and the ex wife rejected it as it "sounded silly" so he ended up being named Elae after king David's most trusted general.

I was named after a guy that saved my dad's life and then, as a second name, after my maternal grandfather.

Just thought it may be fun to delve into the way we think and why we name our kids the way we do. The current Mrs Cody wants a kid, but I want a dog, so we agreed that we can have a kid if I get to call him/her fido

I'm half Irish and I don't know for me I feel I've always favored that part of my heritage, so I wanted my daughter to have an Irish name. I named her Kaitlynne (an offshoot of Katherine), for her first name. And I wanted Gwennyth to be her middle name, but my husband thought it sounded stuck up, and he liked Brianna better. Brianna was Irish as well and an offshoot of Brian, so that was fine. That was her middle name. It actually worked out. Because she was born dead and died 3 times, and her name, along with her last name a Viking word for Strength, means Pure (Kaitlynne), Strong (Brianna), Strength. And she's been a fighter ever since.

She was born missing part of her brain and autistic so she's lived up to her name in more ways than one. As for nicknames, we love calling her Kaitydid, because she loves eating us out of house and home like a plague of locust out of Egypt, or Bribri. She's 17 now but she knows she will always be my Kaitydid or Little Monster. LOL

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
We agonized for months with the girls names. My first, Zack, was named because that was always the name I wanted for a son. His middle names are his maternal grandfathers. We finally decided on Victoria for our oldest girl. I know it's not original but my great grandmother's name was Rose so we went with it. Kathleen, my ex is Irish decent, was conceived while we were separated thus her middle name, Hope. It worked for 15 more years.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Our daughter is named Freyja, as in the Norse goddess of war, death, seiðr (witchcraft), love, and fertility. The wife and I do not worship in that pantheon but still acknowledge their deities. They also used Freyja's name as a common word for "lady" for a time and still do in some circles. What sealed it for us beyond the meaning was the phonetics. We both love the sound of it; both Gaelic and Norsk.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I was reading a Star Trek novel last month, I was desperate for something to read and came across a name I thought would be lovely for a girl. It's Romulan but a beautiful name imo... Tal'Aura. I'd consider that.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by happyhomemaker29

My grandad was Irish and my my mothers side are cornish through and through. Very proud of my roots and thanks for sharing your story

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

you're right.
It sounds beautiful

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I was reading a Star Trek novel last month, I was desperate for something to read and came across a name I thought would be lovely for a girl. It's Romulan but a beautiful name imo... Tal'Aura. I'd consider that.

Sounds good but principle got me stuck on Fido now

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing.
I named my eldest Christopher for two reasons. One sounds silly now, but I thought "Winni the Pooh" was wonderful so I named him after Christopher Robbin. And the second reason was that when I was a little kid, a neighbor had her grandson visit each summer, and his name was Christopher. He was what I thought a little boy should be, a tree climber, wild and always with a dirty face, asking questions, knowing the names of all the trees and bugs and sharing his "crayfish" in a bucket that he was so proud of. He was so much fun. My litlle friends were all neighbor girls and we played house and dress up and Barbies -- so Christopher was quite refreshing. We climbed trees and pretended we were pirates. Much fun!
So that's why I saddled my kid with his name.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Galadriel

Not just because I'm a Tolkien fan but I always thought Galadriel was a beautiful name as well.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Galadriel

I can think of no better reason.
I once gave my dead snake to girl I liked thinking it was chivalrous

No kiss there

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join