It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need a new hobby

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
You could try photography. That would get you out and about when you want a bit of exercise,and if you master the art you can make sone money selling photos.

You could also raise tropical fish.This is the second biggest hobby worldwide after photography. I've been doing both for many years and If you choose the species you keep carefully you can make some money at it.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kromaion

You could knit things.

The hipsters knit things and put them on telephone poles and benches and stuff as an "artistic movement"

You could do bingo.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
How about Origami? You mentioned being an artist already, there are some incredibly intricate and involved pieces of art that are nothing more than folded paper.

Sculpting would also be fun for you I think. Something tactile.

If you want to be more involved with people, think about helping or starting some sort of art project in your community with kids.......

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by shivaX
You can also try gardening .It is awesome. Once you plant your own trees and see them growing ,it will give you tremendous happiness and joy.

^^ This. I always thought gardening was for chicks until I was gifted this rare plant a couple years back. I figured the least I could do is provide ideal conditions and see what happens. Before I know it, the plant has tripled in size and is thriving. There is something very satisfying about this, and I've been hooked on growing ever since. I still have that plant and it's almost as tall as me now, show it some love, and it will love you back. I even started making my own compost, and I grow lots of food now as well. It's a very eye opening and rewarding experience to say the least.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Gardening in small spaces can be just as enjoyable as wide open spaces. Look up vertical gardening. I now have three pallets turned up with landscape fabric pockets for soil. One herbs, one vegs, one flowers. I collected icing buckets from bakery depts and restaurants for free. Had to drill holes and sacrifice a good bucket, but they grew awesome tomatoes and pepper plants. They can be moved around to adjust for weather and seasons.
I then had to learn how to store my bounty, got into dehydrating and canning. When I don't get enough of one item I freeze till more comes on or shop the local produce auction and farmers markets, even catch seasonal produce at wally world. There are many alternative growing systems that can be made and added onto as you expand. Search it out. Whats your favorite herb, cilantro? Basil? Do you add sweet peppers or hot peppers to your dishes for added flavor? Even if you grow what you add to your regular dishes, you have saved that much or more, cause seeds are cheap! Always look for heirloom and non gmo. Organic doesn't necessarily mean non gmo. Then save seeds from your best fruits and vegs. Learn how to dry and store, some require freezing, then replant the following year and have your own second gen crops. You can do indoor during the winter and or use that time for planning and searching techniques and unique seed. It's a hobby that "grows with you", sorry couldn't resist that.
Let us know what you decide to get into.
edit on 5-1-2013 by SunflowerStar because: sp

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Depending on your location, gold mining can be a fun, and possibly lucrative hobby. Up here in the mountains where I live, there are quite a few weekend gold panners. It gets you outside, playing in nature, and sometimes, you do find a nugget or two.

Des

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Remote Control anything..I have done r.c. cars and boats and planes..

now i am doing r.c. helicopters..

talk about some real fun..oh yea!

never bored with those...

and a good learning experience also....

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Get yourself some music production software, then you don't need to learn music but can have hours of creative fun trying to make music.

Try a demo of this www.ableton.com

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
When I was younger, I took kaju kenpo karate at a local center, and absolutely fell in love with it. I pursued it for years - despite being a single mom, dating, going to a full-time job, and going to weekend college. Once you learn the basics, you can practice everyday at home - and trust me, once "addicted" - you look forward to the workout!

I also eventually joined a small local "guys" gym (even though some of the guys weren't too happy to see a woman in their midst)--not a fancy expensive health club, and worked out on the machines and did some light weights to tone. Fell in love with working out - and it was a great stress reliever after work.

My free time these days is spent on reading - either about spiritual growth or about ideas for implementing micro business ideas to earn money. (Goal is to someday figure out how to not be in the corporate world!) I also found myself writing a memoir this past summer - did it in 2 months and placed in a national (and legit) writing contest (top 30). Alas, did not win the top prize

My son, who is bored ALL THE TIME has joined a local community center and works out now -- and it really has changed him. He's happier, calmer, and is really getting fit. If you can't afford a local gym, maybe one of those dvd sets like Insanity or something? Once you get moving, you really get energy and passion for other things.

Photography is cool, so is any form of artwork (pen and ink is challenging), volunteering at a local animal shelter (walk dogs, work with shy cats, feed, etc.), volunteer with something that is meaningful to you, create a charity or nonprofit yourself for something that moves you, join a hiking club, rowing or sailing crew...yoga, tai chi, fencing. If you don't have fix-it skills and would like them, you can learn basic repairs, advanced painting techniques, landscaping, etc. that would help you in the future.

One last thought. If you aren't sure what to do, or what you'd like, why not make your "hobby" to explore 50 different things this year -- try it, take a local class, get a book about it, research it online, try to hook up with others who are doing it -- give a timeframe -- and if it doesn't click for you, then go on to the next thing on your list! Good luck!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Depending on your location, gold mining can be a fun,

I intend to go gold panning for the first time this year - don't think I'll find much, but I'm sure it will be a great day out!

I'm a crafter, so I generally do a lot of crafts (sadly I cannot knit - would have saved me a lot of dosh - scarves for Christmas pressies for everyone!). I paint (canvases, furniture and signs), cross stich, lap (lapidary is quite tedious, but the results are well worth it! To see something go from a boring old stone, to a gorgeous silver necklace gives me a great sense of achievement), and also use fimo and beads for costume jewellery.

This year I'll be learning more pottery (did this years ago), and also hope to learn to do moulds for cement casting. If it will fit in with the rest of my week, I also intend to join the local photo club. I also intend to squeeze in some time to learn framemaking come spring time.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
Remote Control anything..I have done r.c. cars and boats and planes..

now i am doing r.c. helicopters..

talk about some real fun..oh yea!

never bored with those...

and a good learning experience also....

I second this post. Recs are lots of fun and there are many different avenues to persue to your taste. Full on bashing monster trucks, street racers, scale crawlers ( want one of these myself) short course truck racing, boats, planes heli's list goes on. I like working on them as much as driving if not more which is good cause usually need work after every use lol, I'm horrible to my revo. Also with the cars and trucks you can design and painted lexan bodies for them, if your artistic enough you can sell bodies on eBay seen them go for over a hundred dollars.

Also would add archery. I enjoy target shooting and hunting.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I'd say give amateur radio a shot! It is a great learning experience and you can potentially find some great projects to work on, and those projects keep the cost pretty low! You'll also meet some really wonderful people as well. It's really satisfying to talk to people in other worlds with homemade equipment!

The American Rdaio Relay League has some really helpful information if you want to have a look!
www.arrl.org...

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Try to imagine all of the hours you racked up in your life playing games. Is it a hundred hours? A thousand? More? What could you (and I) have done with all those hours?

We could have learned and mastered every musical instrument imaginable.

Learned how to write novels, music, poetry...

I've got a couple thousand hours worth of games under my belt, video and real life alike, but I still managed to master instruments and song writing

Def still possible while gaming your life away!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

You could crochet. I find it rather relaxing. I know it sounds like a girlish sort of thing to do but I know plenty of men who do it. You might enjoy it.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact

You could knit things.

The hipsters knit things and put them on telephone poles and benches and stuff as an "artistic movement"

You could do bingo.

Oh NONONONO

Bad things happen when you play bingo honey

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

As you work with 3D and Illustration I would say you are pretty arty, so how about doing crafts. There are many to choose from, jewellery making, candle making, chess set making, silk painting (could be pictures or wearables) is rather therapeutic, painting on canvas, painting on glass (fancy wine glasses make really nice presents too). Also you could have a go at tattooing, very arty and good money in it too. How about making stop motion animations, as you almost certainly already have the computer skills to edit the pictures and turn them into a movie.

Hope you find something fun

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
It might be ridiculous but I love scale model building. At first it was WWII airplanes and then migrated towards sci-fi stuff. I'm actually looking to get back I to it myself, there are some awesome boutique companies making some awesome models now. I enjoy the attention to detail required and my artistic side loves the process of airbrushing and weathering. Good luck, dude.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by jiggerj
Try to imagine all of the hours you racked up in your life playing games. Is it a hundred hours? A thousand? More? What could you (and I) have done with all those hours?

We could have learned and mastered every musical instrument imaginable.

Learned how to write novels, music, poetry...

I've got a couple thousand hours worth of games under my belt, video and real life alike, but I still managed to master instruments and song writing

Def still possible while gaming your life away!

Ahh, but you might just be the exception to the rule.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Create something.

There's nothing quite as wonderful as creating something, seeing it come to fruition, and know you made it happen.

Like woodcarving, carpentry, art, sewing, building robots, whatever.

I'm trying to teach myself how to sew. It's going....poorly, but I'm having fun. And that's the point of a hobby, right?

Also, maybe start a collection. I have a collection of smiley faces and of funny signs. I only take pictures of the funny signs, so it doesn't cost money. But it's still a fun little distraction.

Alternatively, volunteer at your local elementary school. Little kids are awesome and are a joy to work with.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Shooting for sport and honing skills. That's what I like to do.

Are you even allowed to do that where you are?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join