It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.7 Quake Just Hit SE Alaska High on the Cascadia Subduction Zone

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Libertygal
reply to post by Runciter33

Do you ever hear a sound associated with an earthquake? I ask because I have had multiple instances of sudden, very localized sudden jolts with a loud bang. They happen instantaneously, almost like an underground bomb. A loud bang, jolt, windows and house rattles, and it's all over. I have only experienced the most minor of quakes in Georgia, a couple in the 2.5 to 3.5 range. I was immediately aware of what they were, but these sudden jolts, I have no idea.

Tried reporting them a couple of times, but never gotten a response ir seen them show as reported events. At a total loss to explain them.

Not the first one, but last night I don't know. I think i may have remembered a hum or boom sound when it started, though it could have been an appliance or air conditioning in the house or just a rumble but i could be imaging things also. The earthquake happened kind of suddenly out of nowhere so it's hard to remember for sure, was more focused on the shaking.

As an aside there have been several times today where i thought i felt the ground shaking again slightly but it was just me trippin, maybe i'm a bit dizzy and it just seems likes it's shaking. Happened to me after the last one in November too. Like the ground is shifting or something. Think my mind has just trained itself to expect to feel the ground moving like a conditioned response almost after the 2 quakes. It's weird, haha.
edit on 6-1-2013 by Runciter33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I live in the PNW. I have been feeling large and small quakes for the past two months at an alarming rate. Some of them wake me up in the night like the ones I experienced in the Mojave Desert (CA) back in the 1970s. However, not much damage is reported now (actually, none) so I can only surmise that what used to be notable no longer is because we have actually done what we set out to do: make earthquakes less deadly.

That aside, I have always been curious about how people decide the earthquakes themselves are harmful, rather than what really happens: man-made buildings falling down on people. Everything in nature adjusts and lives on. Who is in danger in this equation, and what is really causing the danger?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Tattiio22

Over the last ten years earthquakes have increased 33%, in 2012 this trend doubled. There is Ot much time left before the flip of the poles. The earthquakes are directly linked to the weakening of our magnetic field. When the field weakens, the powers that hold the crust in place begins to dissipate. There are many things linked to the weakening of our field, foe instance whale beachings and hive collapse syndrome with bee's. Then there is the biggest threat of all, solar flare protection. Without the magnetic field we are wide open to direct hits. Many fools talked about the world ending on 12/21/12, but no religion or prophet in history claimed it would end in 24 hours. They said it would start small and escalate. When the big shake begins the mega volcano known as yellow stone shall begin to erupt. This will Beth beginning of a domino effect which will last of ten years, finally completing with global war. You have to remember that if something happen to the US a power vacuum like the globe has not seem since the fall of Rome would be created. When Rome fell The dark ages were born, when the US falls who knows what shall be born

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tattiio22

Over the last ten years earthquakes have increased 33%, in 2012 this trend doubled.

No, they haven't, recorded figures show in 2000 there was a total of 22,256 record earthquakes, this rose to 2005, then dropped in 2006, 2007. A small climb in 2007, then a sudden drop to 14,825 in 2009. 2010, 2011 it climbed slightly, then 2012 dropped to 16,667.

Source

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Over the last ten years earthquakes have increased 33%, in 2012 this trend doubled. There is Ot much time left before the flip of the poles. The earthquakes are directly linked to the weakening of our magnetic field. When the field weakens, the powers that hold the crust in place begins to dissipate. There are many things linked to the weakening of our field, foe instance whale beachings and hive collapse syndrome with bee's. Then there is the biggest threat of all, solar flare protection. Without the magnetic field we are wide open to direct hits. Many fools talked about the world ending on 12/21/12, but no religion or prophet in history claimed it would end in 24 hours. They said it would start small and escalate. When the big shake begins the mega volcano known as yellow stone shall begin to erupt. This will Beth beginning of a domino effect which will last of ten years, finally completing with global war. You have to remember that if something happen to the US a power vacuum like the globe has not seem since the fall of Rome would be created. When Rome fell The dark ages were born, when the US falls who knows what shall be born

As a scientist I have to ask, have earthquakes increased, or have REPORTS of earthquakes increased? There is an obvious difference that if it is the latter, then it's a good reflection on our ability to detect earthquakes of all kinds, even the little ones (which are counted in on "percentages").

The relationship between polar magnetism and earthquakes is not established in a way that the verification methods can be duplicated. However, since the experts don't know much about earthquakes until they occur, it is still possible that anything - magnetism, cats, God - have an influence. Linking earthquakes with global war, however, assumes that natural Earth events have some bearing on humans deciding to organize mass murder, for whatever reason. It is more likely that the Earth doesn't register changes that mankind inflicts on itself.

Compare it to lice in a child's hair. The lice are an issue only when a parent notices them, and the parent will not kill the child in order to eradicate the lice. In turn, the Earth couldn't "care" less about the violence or pestilence we inflict on each other. We are merely lice that is only noticed by other lice. Long after we kill each other off for being the "wrong lice", the Earth will go on, never having registered our presence at all.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
The latest aftershock from the USGS listing
4.5 127km WNW of Craig, Alaska 2013-01-06 03:37:30 55.810°N 135.090°W 10.1
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Is it just me or are there less aftershocks in the first 24 hours than there were with the Haida Gwaii 'quake? There have only been 15 aftershocks. It seems like there be more for the time frame than there is, but I could be misremembering how many the Haida Gwaii had.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

The Queen Charlottes earthquake had more than 50 aftershocks within 24 hours after the quake.Only 15 aftershocks for this latest quake does seem a little strange.And lots of smaller quakes would be a good thing as it does help to release pressure from the plates.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomviolins

As a scientist I have to ask, have earthquakes increased, or have REPORTS of earthquakes increased? There is an obvious difference that if it is the latter, then it's a good reflection on our ability to detect earthquakes of all kinds, even the little ones (which are counted in on "percentages").

The relationship between polar magnetism and earthquakes is not established in a way that the verification methods can be duplicated. However, since the experts don't know much about earthquakes until they occur, it is still possible that anything - magnetism, cats, God - have an influence. Linking earthquakes with global war, however, assumes that natural Earth events have some bearing on humans deciding to organize mass murder, for whatever reason. It is more likely that the Earth doesn't register changes that mankind inflicts on itself.

Compare it to lice in a child's hair. The lice are an issue only when a parent notices them, and the parent will not kill the child in order to eradicate the lice. In turn, the Earth couldn't "care" less about the violence or pestilence we inflict on each other. We are merely lice that is only noticed by other lice. Long after we kill each other off for being the "wrong lice", the Earth will go on, never having registered our presence at all.

Being a science type myself, I firmly agree with you. The technology has increased dramatically, along with our communications ability. Statistically that means more data , and not necessarily, more earthquakes. The following quote is from another post I made over a year ago that dealt with this topic:

We have only been able to somewhat accurately analyze earthquakes electronically for 50 years using analog components and accurately for 20 years (hybrid analog/digital). This is a minute scratch of time referenced to the age of the Earth, so in essence, we have seen NOTHING in the sample set it would take to make any kind of trending analysis of earthquake severity or frequency over time. Just like we know so little about the Sun, or magnetic sphere around the Solar System. All , in essence, brand new data with no precedent and no long term samples to base any kind of major prediction on.

We live in a cyclic world. There are times when the Earth is relatively quiet, and there are times when it is very active. It is called dynamics, and as we look through our recorded history, there does not seem to be any trend in a more unstable earth.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWetCoast

You are basing your comment only on the aftershocks THAT HAVE BEEN REPORTED.

And I can tell you there have been many, many more, not reported, although very small, sub 2. If you were watching the real time data feeds and seeing them on spectrographs, you would see them yourself. And this happens for most big earthquakes. They only report the bigger aftershocks. Eventually they may report more of the smaller ones, but at the onset they are really only concerned with the more powerful ones.

In any case, fortunately so far we dodged a bullet with this one it appears. For now.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I should probably keep this in the alternate methods of EQ prediction thread; But my ears were pressure changey and ringy, just like always, it seems, right before a Big One somewhere. I thought about posting it......
edit on 6-1-2013 by Saucerwench because: x

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

Over the last ten years earthquakes have increased 33%, in 2012 this trend doubled.

No, they haven't, recorded figures show in 2000 there was a total of 22,256 record earthquakes, this rose to 2005, then dropped in 2006, 2007. A small climb in 2007, then a sudden drop to 14,825 in 2009. 2010, 2011 it climbed slightly, then 2012 dropped to 16,667.

Source

From your source

Starting in January 2009, the USGS National Earthquake Information Center no longer locates earthquakes smaller than magnitude 4.5 outside the United States, unless we receive specific information that the earthquake was felt or caused damage. The values in the tables for the most recent years may fluctuate due to magnitude updates during the review process.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saucerwench
I should probably keep this in the alternate methods of EQ prediction thread; But my ears were pressure changey and ringy, just like always, it seems, right before a Big One somewhere. I thought about posting it......
edit on 6-1-2013 by Saucerwench because: x

Post every time you feel a pressure change and then we can see your accuracy rate. Deal? Earthquake thread will do. : D

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

That's most likely because smaller earthquakes aren't really worth bothering about as they are so frequent and cause little to no damage.

If you look at the source I provided, larger earthquakes follow a similar pattern, with varying frequency from 2000 onwards.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

But you'll notice the significant drop in all other quakes after 2008, but steadily rising now. The data is incomplete since they stopped keeping track of all the quakes below 4.5 worldwide, which is where the huge majority of quakes persist. It attempts to make the data appear that the amount of quakes aren't rising but how do we really know?

I saw a couple of posts above like this one;

Being a science type myself, I firmly agree with you. The technology has increased dramatically, along with our communications ability. Statistically that means more data , and not necessarily, more earthquakes

But this couldn't be more wrong because we aren't keeping track of all quakes for the last four years. That's four years of data that's missing.

edit on 6-1-2013 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Stopping looking at the results below 4.5 then and compare those above, as I said, you will find the same pattern.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
What was the grand damage report up-date on the Alaska earthquake???

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Why does everyone say Yellowstone is "The Big One", when there are other giant Calderas, bigger and badder than Yellowstone's potential? Is Yellowstone "more due", or is it just because it's the one people are more familiar with, or something else entirely? Just curious, because for at least 20 years now I've heard people mentioning this big world-changer coming from the Yellowstone caldera, but never a mention of any of the others.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

This last quake was somewhat smaller than the Charlottes quake so a smaller amount of significant aftershocks is on par for what we can expect to see from this quake.And it is true that I often find myself limited by the amount of information that is readily available.Any additional information would be much appreciated as I do keep my own records for future reference.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Magnitude 3.3 - OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

Link

Ahh yes... I was thinking that if the CSZ were to be affected by this (or related to this), that we should see some activity either in this area or near some of the volcanic areas inland around Bend, OR.
edit on 6-1-2013 by sageturkey because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join